Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2 cents: when you go arbitrating, you have 50 % changes to lose because a third party will take a decision between 2 other fighting parties. Is 50 % more that trying to have an agreement with Tesla?
I got the screen because I waited and besides it was covered by warranty, I understand that if you want to sell the car this could drive a buyer back but besides that is it worth the fight? Honest question here :)

Tesla has been unwilling to provide any proof to back up their claims and "sunlight" is so broad that it doesn't narrow down what actually caused the issue (was it just heat? UV?).
I specifically asked the Tesla lawyer whether it was visible light, U/V light, or heat related? He admitted they were not 100% sure but they thought it was liight-related (he did not specify between visible v. UV - not that it makes much difference). He went on to explain how several test cars are sitting out in the sun, testing the new screens but it's still early to draw conclusions. In other words they apparently don't know.

And BTW they are not cycling the AC in those test cars, per the lawyer.

I understand that if you want to sell the car this could drive a buyer back but besides that is it worth the fight? Honest question here

Several factors to consider. Without arbitration:

1. No warranty coverage should the UV treatment fail. Just pay an extra $1300 for an annual failure.

2. No timeline - it's gone on a year for me. Is it reasonable to wait another year?

3. I do want to sell - this seriously detracts potential buyers.

4. And maybe those soon to have the warranty expire? Not sure if this plays with anyone.

The NCDS is not a huge effort. I had a lot of doc but including the hearing I've perhaps invested 3 hours of time and no money. Easy decision for me.

I have 2 2017 Teslas, an S and X, both of which developed this problem rather quickly. Tesla has independently denied warranty replacements for both cars' screens. I want to do arbitration but my question is: do I file TWO separate arbitration claims or can I file one for both cars and include images of both yellow borders, given that both vehicles are on the same Tesla account?

I have 2 2017 Teslas, an S and X, both of which developed this problem rather quickly. Tesla has independently denied warranty replacements for both cars' screens. I want to do arbitration but my question is: do I file TWO separate arbitration claims or can I file one for both cars and include images of both yellow borders, given that both vehicles are on the same Tesla account?

Definitely two separate claims. One per car.

First gen MCU = bubbles, second gen MCU = yellowing border around the MCU. As I have said before, I believe Tesla asked Innolux to change the adhesive to eliminate what happened to the first gen MCU, now the yellowing border arose. Tesla once again informed Innolux and was told to pound sand since the G170J1-LE1 LCD Display Panel is not designed for Automotive use and is not warrantied.

Last edited:
This is stated as if it were a fact. Can you please substantiate this claim? @whitex made a similar claim, but went silent when asked to substantiate it.

I can only substantiate that it was stated that no other car has even used a 17 inch screen as an MCU, Elon has stated that fact. I am making deductive reasoning since Tesla is reluctant to honor the warranty with this issue and has flat out lied to customers by stating it is a cosmetic issue. Innolux has an automotive and avionics display application and the 17 inch screen is not listed. The only was to invalidate a warranty is to use a product not as intended which Tesla has done by installing a laptop display in an automotive application.

Last edited:

Unfortunately I think the claims are per car so you would have to file twice. You could do it serially so you can learn from the first go around for the second car.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Tesla once again informed Innolux and was told to pound sand since the G170J1-LE1 LCD Display Panel is not designed for Automotive use and is not warrantied.

Can you provide proof that the screen is indeed automotive qualified? You also were asked this previously and went silent.

I don't know why you guys can't remember: the problem is not with the screen/LCD display panel. If you lookup the specs that part does not contain a touch panel. It is also rated for industrial use, and I don't know if that is a higher rating than automotive or not. The temperature specs are: Operating Temperature: -20 ~ 80 °C ; Storage Temperature: -40 ~ 85 °C which looks like they should be fine for use in a car.

The issue is with the glue used to hold the touch panel to the LCD panel. And we have no idea who glues those two pieces together. Tesla could do that themselves to save money. (This is the bad side of being vertically integrated.)

But if Tesla specified the adhesive to use and it yellows, when applied appropriately, that wouldn't be a manufacturing defect that the supplier had to cover under warranty.

There is a lot we don't know, but it doesn't really matter if a supplier or Tesla is responsible for the actual costs, it is Tesla that warrantied the car to the purchaser so they have to make it right by repairing or replacing while you are under warranty. (Then Tesla can argue/sue a supplier if necessary to get them to cover the costs as appropriate.)

I can only substantiate that it was stated that no other car has even used a 17 inch screen as an MCU, Elon has stated that fact. I am making deductive reasoning since Tesla is reluctant to honor the warranty with this issue and has flat out lied to customers by stating it is a cosmetic issue.

Uhm -- if it does not affect the operation of the touch screen it is a cosmetic issue, that's not a lie.

But not all cosmetic issues should not be covered under warranty; that is another discussion.

If my Model 3 should get large brown blotches all over the painted areas ("because the paint was exposed to sunlight" -- duh!), I could still drive it. That would make it a cosmetic issue, but if it lowered the value of the car (including the resale value) I'd still want them to fix it under warranty.

Uhm -- if it does not affect the operation of the touch screen it is a cosmetic issue, that's not a lie.

If it covers parts of the navigational map, and impairs the visibility of parts of the screen, one could easily argue that it is no longer purely "cosmetic". To me anything covering parts of the map decreases functionality, making it no longer a cosmetic only issue.

Touch_screen_border (3).jpg

This is stated as if it were a fact. Can you please substantiate this claim? @whitex made a similar claim, but went silent when asked to substantiate it.
I must have missed your ask, but since you asked again - I was simply using the article linked here many times which claims Elon tested the screens out of spec and they worked, so he said "use them".

On the other hand, are you claiming that it is covered as a defect by the screen manufacturer and therefore Tesla is double-dipping by charging customers $1,300 for a new screen but also getting it covered by the manufacturer? Come to think of it, it would totally explain why they fight tooth and nail against leaving the old screens with the owners - that's leaving money on the table! You may be onto something here and discovered another level of shady play by Tesla.

Btw, since you like to substantiate things, care to substantiate that the screen manufacturer is in fact covering yellow screens?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Gixx1300R
I don't know why you guys can't remember: the problem is not with the screen/LCD display panel. If you lookup the specs that part does not contain a touch panel. It is also rated for industrial use, and I don't know if that is a higher rating than automotive or not. The temperature specs are: Operating Temperature: -20 ~ 80 °C ; Storage Temperature: -40 ~ 85 °C which looks like they should be fine for use in a car.

The point about the glue is a very good one, and I'm glad you repeated it again for others to see. The screen being rated to only +80C does not seem to indicate automotive quality to me. Usually automotive parts are rated to +125C or more. The center stack of a vehicle is an extraordinarily hot environment. But all of that is a moot point if the glue is the weak link in the chain.

Reactions: MelaniainLA
Would be nice to have widespread media attention on this, they seem to enjoy reporting all of Elon's cool (sorry stupid) gimmicks that get released (games, fart apps, fireplaces). How about a story showing how Tesla actually treat customers these days and the lengths people are going through to get warranty items covered and the lengths Telsa is going to so they are denied.

On the other hand, are you claiming that it is covered as a defect by the screen manufacturer and therefore Tesla is double-dipping by charging customers $1,300 for a new screen but also getting it covered by the manufacturer? Come to think of it, it would totally explain why they fight tooth and nail against leaving the old screens with the owners - that's leaving money on the table! You may be onto something here and discovered another level or shady play by Tesla.

I have not paid for Tesla to replace a part, let alone asked for the old part back so this is pure speculation on my part.

I would imagine that what is really going on is far more benign. The service centers likely either do not know about the law requiring them to give the old part back if asked for (I think this is just a California thing?) or do not care as they are aware that it is 'bad' to do so and do not want to get reprimanded from those above. Now, once the old part is in Tesla's inventory they might attempt to refurbish the part and put it in another vehicle or just sell the scrap (depending on the part), saving them some of the cost of a new item. I think this is likely the real reason Tesla overall wants parts back.

Another speculation that is a bit more in the tinfoil hat territory is that they do not want people to have old parts back to do their own tear downs / analysis on why it failed. Of course, one could just take the part out of their car and do this or get parts from wrecked cars so I'm not sure this is a strong reason.