Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Yellow screen? Force Tesla to Replace it!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How can some lose and some win on the exact same issue? Isn't there a precedent or something that could be set?

This is the point of forced arbitration. It provides the manufacturer a way to avoid mass liability. Courts aren’t perfect, and engaging with the courts is expensive. Arbitration is relatively inexpensive. They win some and lose some - but they won’t lose huge sums of money all at once.

All of the above along with the variability of different arbitrators hearing the case... win some, lose some :cool:

I also wonder why all of a sudden this is happening to what appears to be at least hundreds of people... I've been on the forum for a couple of years and this issue was never really a hot topic. All of a sudden this thread and the other one have totally blown up. Very weird.

I wonder if a software update changed the way the hardware worked and something inside ended up damaging the MCU? Perhaps it is the recent changes in brightness/darkness for the MCU that Elon was tweeting about a while back?

I also wonder why all of a sudden this is happening to what appears to be at least hundreds of people... I've been on the forum for a couple of years and this issue was never really a hot topic. All of a sudden this thread and the other one have totally blown up. Very weird
I think previously Tesla was just replacing affected screens quickly and with no hassle. The policy change to deny replacement is why the issue has gathered so much attention here in the forums.

I also wonder why all of a sudden this is happening to what appears to be at least hundreds of people... I've been on the forum for a couple of years and this issue was never really a hot topic.
It's thousands, not hundreds, hence Tesla fighting so hard - it's millions of dollars worth of screen replacement they are fighting. Why? Well, in Elon's proud agile strategy, they continually keep on changing, redesigning, and testing on production customers. The problem was it took a few months for the problem to show up, then few months more to realize it's so many cars, then even more months of denial and believing "software will fix it", then even more time to come up with a solution which at least on the surface works (nobody knows how permanent it is, like with all other stuff, testing is done on production customers). End result, they have 2-3 years of production cars, probably all if which will at some point exhibit this problem, and the number of occurrences is exploding, hence the TMC flood of outrages people because Tesla is flat out lying, giving people different stories, while flat out refusing to fix (until recently where they started trying out the 3 UV machines they have, so if you are lucky you get a fix attempt).

Funny thing, it's not even clear that they fixed it for me cars. They may be adding to the problem every day.

I also wonder why all of a sudden this is happening to what appears to be at least hundreds of people... I've been on the forum for a couple of years and this issue was never really a hot topic. All of a sudden this thread and the other one have totally blown up. Very weird.

I wonder if a software update changed the way the hardware worked and something inside ended up damaging the MCU? Perhaps it is the recent changes in brightness/darkness for the MCU that Elon was tweeting about a while back?
What were the changes in brightness? I must have missed that.

I think it is just that Tesla started to deny screen replacements for this over six months ago saying that a fix is on its way. People were patient and waited for Tesla to come out with a solution. However, after months of being given the run around and generally treated like idiots by the service centers owners were fed up.

Tesla brought this upon themselves. They could have continued to replace the screens until the UV treatment was available then silently switch over to that. Most people probably would not have cared and Tesla wouldn’t have generated so much Ill will towards them from customers.

Reactions: ahkahn
What were the changes in brightness? I must have missed that.

Happened back on 2019.20.2.1 update

bac864d9-0c5c-424c-b89c-340425923583-jpeg.420453

• Informative
Reactions: Ken7
I will add another datapoint in case if it helps. I just left my car in service and they gave me an Enterprise 75D loaner. 4000 miles. The car has huge yellowing, basically all 4 sides of the MCU are yellow. I haven't seen this issue before in person so it looks pretty damn crazy to me. It looks like a bird shat on it, or a kid spilled chocolate milk. Ew.
From yellow, white, then brown? I think we call all agree maybe you need to see an optometrist for color blindness. :eek:

I think it is just that Tesla started to deny screen replacements for this over six months ago saying that a fix is on its way. People were patient and waited for Tesla to come out with a solution. However, after months of being given the run around and generally treated like idiots by the service centers owners were fed up.

Tesla brought this upon themselves. They could have continued to replace the screens until the UV treatment was available then silently switch over to that. Most people probably would not have cared and Tesla wouldn’t have generated so much Ill will towards them from customers.
they may just keep pushing it out so many people are out of warranty?

Reactions: kyne and P100D_Me
Add another loss for Tesla, I just won my arbitration case against them for this yellow screen border nonsense. I'd still like to know which idiot decided it would be best to treat customers this way.
It's Elon Musk. He took over national service since John McNeil left the building. Everything we are experiencing, from inability to speak to a live person to all of the warranty declines, are all Musk's decisions. I wonder if Musk receives this sort of treatment when his Mclaren is in the shop?

This is the point of forced arbitration. It provides the manufacturer a way to avoid mass liability. Courts aren’t perfect, and engaging with the courts is expensive. Arbitration is relatively inexpensive. They win some and loose some - but they won’t loose huge sums of money all at once.

If enough people go to arbitration and win, that will hurt a lot more than just fixing the durn things in the first place. If they get taken to arbitration a couple of times before losing, it will get very expensive for them. How much does it cost the consumer to go to arbitration and lose? I believe if you win Tesla has to pay it all, no?

Reactions: FlatSix911