Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Your Prediction for Restoration of USS Features

When do you think the park assist and other features will be restored?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think that the current cars without USS and without the new hardware will NEVER regain the full parking alert capabilities. Once the new hardware is available later this year I believe those cars will have basically the same functionality as before.

Maybe it is just me but I think I would pay more for the USS functionality than for FSD. I have to park my car in an extremely tight garage space so the parking distance control is critical for me.

But no one uses summon, except once to show their friends. And it’s 50/50 if it will work so may or may not help sell more cars.
I agree. Summon is a party trick that usually fails, especially when showing it to a friend.

But most prospective buyers don't know that. They might think, hey, I wanna get that car that comes to you. No other car can do that! Wow.

So, it's a selling point that doesn't exist until they fix this.

I have a 2021 MY with USS but don’t find them all that useful. When pulling in forward to a parking stall, it doesn’t tell me how far away from the curb I am but how far from some object on the other side of the sidewalk.
At home I have to back in to my garage and need to be within a couple of inches to allow for doors to open. On one side is a car and on the other shop equipment of various widths so never sure what it’s bouncing off. And all the time it’s dinging away which is distracting. In the end I just use my mirrors and the backup camera.
I would rather have a good Birds Eye display view like in some other cars.

Reactions: mapdoc
I have a 2021 MY with USS but don’t find them all that useful. When pulling in forward to a parking stall, it doesn’t tell me how far away from the curb I am but how far from some object on the other side of the sidewalk.
At home I have to back in to my garage and need to be within a couple of inches to allow for doors to open. On one side is a car and on the other shop equipment of various widths so never sure what it’s bouncing off. And all the time it’s dinging away which is distracting. In the end I just use my mirrors and the backup camera.
I would rather have a good Birds Eye display view like in some other cars.
Right. USS measures straight line distance from the sensor to the nearest obstacle. So the curb shows, until you are above it. A post between two sensors may be much closer than you think. There are no sensors on the side behind the wheel so if you are turning super sharp out if a parking spot you can still hit the car next to you. Or scratch a low obstruction like a rock down the side of the car.

I’ll take the 360 camera on our leaf any day.

Reactions: mapdoc
How is equivalency different from parity? Regardless of technology is there a functional discriminator? For making phone calls, my iPhone is both equivalent and has parity with my old landline Bakelite dial phone, no?

No?

For example one works inside a faraday cage and your iphone does not.

I can't speak for the poster you're replying to, but possibly he means stuff like- since it's partly an example he gave in his post:

Old-radar AP lets you set a follow distance of 1 and a top speed of 90
Vision-only AP does not... top speed is 85 and shortest follow is 2... even though it does an otherwise (roughly) equivalent) job it's not at parity.

How is equivalency different from parity? Regardless of technology is there a functional discriminator? For making phone calls, my iPhone is both equivalent and has parity with my old landline Bakelite dial phone, no?
Like @Knightshade says, for equivalent I mean a very similar feature just that it may not have exactly the same specs. I give out explicit examples here:
I'm talking more of stuff like for example instead of 1" increments it goes by 2" increments. Or instead of 12" minimum, it goes to 16" minimum. Or maybe it does not have memory that persists with sleep, so when you pull out from sleep, it might not show distance in the front. Basically tradeoffs similar to the 85mph and 2 distance setting for Vision. If you mean "parity" however, I might be more inclined to vote "never" as it's fairly likely that it won't ever perform exactly the same as USS.

There may also be other things possible that wasn't before. For example pings on the side, where previously there were no sensors. Or being able to ping for a thin pole when backing up (where previously I have read plenty of reports of people backing into a pole and USS not giving a warning).

Why is this poll in "month" units? It would make a lot more sense in "Elon" units.

After:
  • CyberTruck
  • 4680's
  • Semi
  • Model "2"
  • Roadster
  • FSD Beta release candidate
  • The machine that builds the machine
  • Flying cars
  • Twitter profitability
  • Most of your friends have already moved to Mars
  • Hyperloop
  • Radar redux
You didn't mention Teslabot, but my guess is after that is available. Elon will tell you functionality is coming in the near future to let it park the car.

cars *without* USS and *without* HW4 / Highland project rumored improvements (additional cameras, more front facing cameras, radar) will likely NEVER get feature parity to cars with USS. sorry.

i dont see those "in between" cars (no USS but also no HW4) holding their value well once HW4/ Highland is being produced and delivered...

Reactions: XPsionic
and to put into perspective... back in the days with radar activated the AP / cruise control speed selectable was 90mph. Once they deleted radar and went "vision only" ... we still haven't gone back to 90mph. Going from 80 mph to 85 mph was the best they could do.

I agree. Summon is a party trick that usually fails, especially when showing it to a friend.

But most prospective buyers don't know that. They might think, hey, I wanna get that car that comes to you. No other car can do that! Wow.

So, it's a selling point that doesn't exist until they fix this.
I disagree its a party trick, I don't expect the car to come and find me but great at coming out a few meters when your boxed in, or in my case to be able to open the door fully to avoid weight and twisting on a knee replacement joint. The other point is being able to park in normal London parking bays without causing a traffic jam of damaging my or third party bumper. That is to me worth the money of EAP, which I have been scammed out of.

radar is already coming back................
From what I saw on some YouTube videos yesterday, the new Model S/X had the new HW4 but with the new cameras but with no additional cameras... and they have radar. So, I am wondering if those Model 3s that have had radar removed will have them put back in? I saw pics of a 2023 Model 3 with the frunk removed, and there was a spot for the radar as well as the connection for it (there was an actual label that designated the area in which the radar would be in).

From what I saw on some YouTube videos yesterday, the new Model S/X had the new HW4 but with the new cameras but with no additional cameras... and they have radar. So, I am wondering if those Model 3s that have had radar removed will have them put back in? I saw pics of a 2023 Model 3 with the frunk removed, and there was a spot for the radar as well as the connection for it (there was an actual label that designated the area in which the radar would be in).
They have an entirely different more advanced radar unit made for HW4 specifically. I say there is almost no chance they retrofit the cars missing radar or even re-enable the older radar in HW3 cars.

They have an entirely different more advanced radar unit made for HW4 specifically. I say there is almost no chance they retrofit the cars missing radar or even re-enable the older radar in HW3 cars.
removing radar was purely to circumvent supply chain issues with Conti and to save a $ ... but Tesla would never admit that and rather state "radar is not needed. vision only is so much better". well ... turns out ... it wasn't... they still haven't set max speed for AP back to 90mph and new cars will get some form of radar again.... (there also was a speaker "not needed" as well as passenger seat lumbar adjustment "not being used" as well as "parking sensors" no longer needed etc...)