Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Youtube resolution now locked at 360p after update?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last night my YouTube app automatically selected the highest resolution available (1080p). Didn’t try to change the setting, but wanted to see if anyone else noticed similar behavior?
Just tried it. Yes the various YouTube channels seem to me opening in 1080 (Not the highest available when selecting 4K channels). Looks like left scroll wheel is still working on both Speed and Quality to select either 4K (1440 or 2160), or desired speed. 2021 MSP on either LTE or WiFi same results.

1920 X 1200 is not 4K which is the native resolution of the center screen on the Model 3/Y vehicles.
? The video is streaming in 4K. At least on my MSP. I know the MSP screen is 2,200 x 1,300 resolution, a total of 2.86 megapixels, making it a bit higher than 1080p but not quite Quad-HD 1440p. Pixel density is 150 PPInot 4K. 😜

Last edited:
? The video is streaming in 4K. At least on my MSP. I know the MSP screen is 2,200 x 1,300 resolution, a total of 2.86 megapixels, making it a bit higher than 1080p but not quite Quad-HD 1440p. Pixel density is 150 PPInot 4K. 😜
Consumer 4K is 3840 x 2160 pixels and has nothing to do with pixel density other that the ratio vs size of display. It would be taking 4K and downscaling to 2200 x 1300 which is a little over consumer 2K (2048 x 1080) aka: HD but NOT 4K.

Last edited:
It seems like it is using the mobile interface now instead of a desktop one it was using earlier. The links to subscriptions are along the bottom instead of the side panels.
Maybe this is why the Auto is defaulting to lower res more often than not. Mine seems to be defaulting to 1080 now but still using the mobile interface.

yeah you have to change it using the left steering wheel button.
it also sucks that it seems to default to the lowest res every time i use the app after awhile....

and youtube shorts are still zoomed in and there's no way to change the resolution for the shorts... which sucks since thats what my kids watch the most

Is there ever a way to alter YouTube shorts, other than volume? I can’t do anything to change shorts even on my desktop machine.
This is a long running bug in shorts for desktop in general, where there are no controls. You have to go to a non-short to change the volume, and then reload your short. It's stupid and entirely YouTube's fault.