Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

$10,000 for FSD

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Back on topic: I’m glad I bought FSD when I did ($6000 in Sept 2019) but would struggle making the same selection today @ $10,000. Still, my “investment” seems to be working out (price increase of 66.7% in just over a year) and the software seems poised for some considerable near-term improvements if the Beta tests/videos/potential can be realized by a wider group. So—overall: happy. Go Tesla!

if you take Elon at his word - the cost of FSD is going to keep going up.. if you don't buy it now - when the cost is let's say 25k - you will regret it.. its a free Country and no one is forcing you to buy it - its an optional purchase.. The fact that you are posting about it makes it seem like you are complaining when you should just choose to not buy it and be happy..

• Funny
Reactions: mewantcookiez
Subjective. People spend $10k for a set of wheels, custom vinyl wrap, etc.

FSD gets better monthly and if you don’t want to touch the wheel there are (illegal) ways around that.

I could have bought it at $6K but bought in at $7 week before it went to $8. I would have paid $10k though. There is a good resale on FSD as well.

it’s all personal preference.

For most people who already have a hefty car loan, I understand that dropping an additional $10k in cash can easily be too painful, no matter what it does. I get it. But I wish people would be more honest about their motives, instead of soap-boxing on the wrong side of history and knocking technology that will just keep getting better.

For people who are just now buying a Tesla, going from basic AP to the whole automation package - NOA on freeways now + NOA on Streets very soon - adds specific cost/value. We can debate the exact value, in what time frame, the pros and cons, but on a financed vehicle it's only a matter of which options you choose.

For people on a tight budget, it might be more important than Dual Motors or bigger battery size, let alone fancy wheels or a "P" package.

Last edited:
Reactions: drtimhill
Oh man, because I just had to be the first to post a pic as evidence ...

Actually, I didn't see the poll post. So sue me...

Heated seats in Southern California? Really?

I live in SoCal. It got to 29 degrees here. So, yes, with the presumption that you utilize your back seats much for passengers. As far as temperature in the winter, easily justified.

They're also quite nice after spending all day in a freezing cold office (heated driver's seat), especially if this causes your muscles to get all tense and stiff. I know that I for one am sensitive to cold and offices (in the pre-Pandemic BeforeTimes) were way too cold for me, even with copious use of layered clothing.

Last edited:
Of course it does, it must be hell shoveling snow in LA every morning before you can drive to work :)
:)

Believe it or not, I became cold tolerant growing up in San Diego. The weather was too mild most of the time to bother owning a sweater (let alone a coat!) and the Pacific ocean is mostly in the 60's F at the surface and 50's F 10 meters deep. I spent a good amount of my free time in the water, but after a weekend SCUBA dive I would shiver for the better part of 30 minutes.

For most people who already have a hefty car loan, I understand that dropping an additional $10k in cash can easily be too painful, no matter what it does. I get it. But I wish people would be more honest about their motives, instead of soap-boxing on the wrong side of history and knocking technology that will just keep getting better.

For people who are just now buying a Tesla, going from basic AP to the whole automation package - NOA on freeways now + NOA on Streets very soon - adds specific cost/value. We can debate the exact value, in what time frame, the pros and cons, but on a financed vehicle it's only a matter of which options you choose.

For people on a tight budget, it might be more important than Dual Motors or bigger battery size, let alone fancy wheels or a "P" package.

People on a tight budget should not be buying a product that doesn't exist. Dual motors and larger battery is valued more even in the used market. I don't have a loan and if I buy FSD I have to consider it mostly a loss. My insurance won't cover it in a crash. As a trade it doesn't add much value to the car. As a package it so far doesn't even do anything useful and history with tesla indicates it might not ever or for years be in beta.

I would never suggest someone buy FSD over a long range battery. The battery is the biggest innovation in this car not the lane changing.

:)

Believe it or not, I became cold tolerant growing up in San Diego. The weather was too mild most of the time to bother owning a sweater (let alone a coat!) and the Pacific ocean is mostly in the 60's F at the surface and 50's F 10 meters deep. I spent a good amount of my free time in the water, but after a weekend SCUBA dive I would shiver for the better part of 30 minutes.

I did the same thing. When I moved from NY to CA I was going to the beach in winter. The water temp is about the same as NY in summer. I never adjusted to CA temps. I was wearing shorts while other people wearing winter jackets.

Someone in canada is going to drop in and say he couldn't even go in the water it was to hot.

• Funny
Reactions: LionXng
I did the same thing. When I moved from NY to CA I was going to the beach in winter. The water temp is about the same as NY in summer. I never adjusted to CA temps. I was wearing shorts while other people wearing winter jackets.

Someone in canada is going to drop in and say he couldn't even go in the water it was to hot.
Canadian spend a much as they can, time in the Caribbean, so they can tolerate warm water :)

Trust me !

(I live in Canada).

• Funny
Reactions: P3dStealth
People on a tight budget should not be buying a product that doesn't exist. Dual motors and larger battery is valued more even in the used market. I don't have a loan and if I buy FSD I have to consider it mostly a loss. My insurance won't cover it in a crash. As a trade it doesn't add much value to the car.
Agree 100%. I recently sold my Model 3 and can tell you that FSD only added around $1-2K to the value of my car (if that). If you’re on a tight budget, dual motors or a larger battery, would add more value than FSD (in my opinion). I have the cyber truck on order and honestly would not pay 10K for FSD to add as an option.

It's $10k because you have to hold the steering wheel. Once that is removed he'll increase the price. Soon after we're done doing all the free tests for him and logged billions of miles, he'll never sell FSD. It'll go to fleet cars. Elon thinks its sooner than later because they're taking all leases back.

I keep hearing Tesla will stop selling cars to the public, and all future production will be Robotaxis.
If so, why would Tesla plan on producing 20 million cars in 2030?