Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got .76 this afternoon. Drove home with it. I was [one of the few] happy with 17.24.30, and this seemed just as solid, but I definitely agree that the lane changes are even quicker than before. It doesn't mess around changing lanes. The only other difference I noticed (this is a positive) is that with 17.24.30, if there were stopped cars and I was barrelling up on them, it wouldn't seem like it would "see" the stopped cars and I would have to intervene with the brakes. Now, with .76, I'm noticing that it seems to see them and gradually slow down.

Overall impression: .76 is a welcome change.

Last edited:
I just got .76 this afternoon. Drove home with it. I was [one of the few] happy with 17.24.30, and this seemed just as solid, but I definitely agree that the lane changes are even quicker than before. It doesn't mess around changing lanes. The only other difference I noticed (this is a positive) is that with 17.24.30, if there were stopped cars and I was barrelling up on them, it wouldn't seem like it would "see" the stopped cars and I would have to intervene with the brakes. Now, with .76, I'm noticing that it seems to see them and gradually slow down.

Overall impression: .76 is a welcome change.

Yes, I got .76 today... and drove 125 miles... this is a big update, I am pretty sure AP2 is at least as good as AP1 now. It's really impressive. Still needs work, but there are two interesting things I noticed today.... 1) it is a little better at the recognizing cars stopped on the highway at a red lights (texas 71 near bastrop), but still waits way too long before braking, it is as though the car is not sure it sees the car stopped at the light... this stretch of highway is 70 mph, and then there are lights every few miles on this highway... if you come upon a red light at full speed, and a car in front of you has been sitting at the red light, you have to be ready to cancel AP. 2) today I noticed on a long high speed curve, the car took a line through the curve very similar to what a human driver would have done... where you drift to the outermost portion of the lane before cutting towards the innermost portion of the curve.... pretty cool

Got the notification for 26.76 the night before we left for a multi-state (and parts of Canada) road trip. I have been happy with AP2.0 performance, and had just a few days previous gotten the upgrade to 26.17. Thinking that perhaps the .17->.76 might fix a critical bug, I installed it. Everything works satisfactorily EXCEPT for the lane changes. I can only describe it as "jerking the wheel". When changing lanes, every head in the car should not be thrown to the side, which is exactly what happens now. It got bad enough that my wife asked I not use Autopilot if I was going to change lanes (although my 6-year-old kept saying "weeee" every time I did). It doesn't bother me, but if you don't know it's coming, it can really give a jolt to passengers. My wife had her head in a book, and every time I would change lanes, I think she thought I was swerving to avoid hitting something.

2016 S90D HW2/AP2-Finally-just went to 17.26.76 from 17.17.4 Overall, smoother, but not yet "Silky Smooth". I give it maybe "Nylon Smooth". Took 27 minutes to install via WiFi. Immediately took it in a 60 mile run. Better on Freeways, and better on lower Highways with turns. Surface roads are greatly improved....except....It seems to have a bias, to the left, toward the oncoming lane. It even shows it a bit on the display. It ventured into the "Bots Dots" marking the lane a bit. It seemed to "anticipate" the turn better, and was smoother in the entire turn. It no longer drives like a drunk-just slightly inebriated. It did stop, rather tentatively for a car that was fully stoped way in front of me. It didn't stop as early as I would have, and my foot was hovering over the brake pedal.
I did have 2 "phantom" hit the brake moments. The situations were understandable. One I had to press on the accelerator, and it got me thinking about a safety issue. If your foot is close to the Accelerator pedal, and the car decides to brake, there is a chance you might override this accidentally. If the car brakes hard (phantom os real need) your personal forward momentum could cause you to override the braking action. Once you touch the accelerator, the auto braking disengages. This is good in phantom braking cases, but could be problematic in real, needed, auto braking situations.
17.26.76 does not read Speed limit signs at all.
I had logged close to 20,000 miles on AP1 and this is getting close, but not yet.
I remember the early days of AP1, when the car would dive for most off ramps. AP1 is great now, but it was hardly "Silky Smooth" until many months later.
I am encouraged by this update. When you think about it they went for zero Autopilot 2 capability last October, and now 6 months later AP2 is pretty close. AP1 took one year to get Autopilot 1 running, and that was with the help of MobilEye, that had been doing this for years.
OK-Time to wait impatiently for the next update....and the Model 3 delivery on the 28th.

Yeah auto lane change was much quicker for me too. Scared me at first since it was so much faster than before, but once I got used to it, I think it is much better.

I called Tesla support today and told them that they need to make the Auto Lane Change less aggressive. The combination of the aggressive lane change and acceleration will cause accidents on slippery roads.

I have 17.24.28 installed on my AP2 S90D. We drove around 700 miles today and my wife calls the automatic lane change, "Whiplash". A smoother lane change and less acceleration is needed or accidents will happen on slippery roads.

2016 S90D HW2/AP2-Finally-just went to 17.26.76 from 17.17.4 Overall, smoother, but not yet "Silky Smooth". I give it maybe "Nylon Smooth". Took 27 minutes to install via WiFi. Immediately took it in a 60 mile run. Better on Freeways, and better on lower Highways with turns. Surface roads are greatly improved....except....It seems to have a bias, to the left, toward the oncoming lane. It even shows it a bit on the display. It ventured into the "Bots Dots" marking the lane a bit. It seemed to "anticipate" the turn better, and was smoother in the entire turn. It no longer drives like a drunk-just slightly inebriated. It did stop, rather tentatively for a car that was fully stoped way in front of me. It didn't stop as early as I would have, and my foot was hovering over the brake pedal.
I did have 2 "phantom" hit the brake moments. The situations were understandable. One I had to press on the accelerator, and it got me thinking about a safety issue. If your foot is close to the Accelerator pedal, and the car decides to brake, there is a chance you might override this accidentally. If the car brakes hard (phantom os real need) your personal forward momentum could cause you to override the braking action. Once you touch the accelerator, the auto braking disengages. This is good in phantom braking cases, but could be problematic in real, needed, auto braking situations.
17.26.76 does not read Speed limit signs at all.
I had logged close to 20,000 miles on AP1 and this is getting close, but not yet.
I remember the early days of AP1, when the car would dive for most off ramps. AP1 is great now, but it was hardly "Silky Smooth" until many months later.
I am encouraged by this update. When you think about it they went for zero Autopilot 2 capability last October, and now 6 months later AP2 is pretty close. AP1 took one year to get Autopilot 1 running, and that was with the help of MobilEye, that had been doing this for years.
OK-Time to wait impatiently for the next update....and the Model 3 delivery on the 28th.

its 9 months later not 6 months later.... come on ppl this is basic math!

Reactions: Nosken
Took 27 minutes to install via WiFi.

Out of curiosity how do you know by what method it was downloaded? The car downloads the entire update, unpacks it, validates it, and then gives you the prompt to install it. My understanding is that whole process can take 30-60 minutes, and then there is the 27 minutes after that that it took to actually install it.

Had a chance to test out this version on my AP2 S75D. It does feel smoother than before. I found going through intersections to be a bit more reliable. And it seemed to be better at slowing down when a car in front stops at a red light. Much more natural feeling.

Issues:
- lane change is too aggressive still as others have pointed out. My wife definitely does not like it. She gets startled and usually throws in a "holy sh$&" and tries to find the missing roof handles.
- I once pulled up to a stopped car at a red light and I had to override with the brake. It was approaching way too quickly and scared the passenger I was giving a demo ride to. Not cool.

Overall I would say it's progress, but not done yet (not that I was expecting it to be done). Keep the updates coming!

Yes the lane change is interesting and aggressive... I have a theory... when I do the lane change at 50 mph it is perfect... at 70 mph, it's much more abrupt... and at 90, it was pretty shocking.
It's like it's taking the same angle regardless of the speed. I think in the future we will be able to select how aggressive lane changes occur, similar to steering feel... it will be 3 speeds of lane change from fastest to slowest...
1) Dukes of Hazard,
2) Silky nausea
3) Zeno's paradox

As long as lane change is not the way it was a month ago; where much of the time you were afraid it might get only halfway before everyone else going faster than you would catch up, causing the car to suddenly go "oops" and bail. If the opposite of this is what we're calling aggressive, then I'll go against the grain and say I'm looking forward to it :)

Now if we're trying to get them to tone down a "jerky" lane change, that's something else - but it needs to be assertive, and decisive, for sure. I'm a relatively newer driver to Tesla though, so I don't have all the experience others may have with it to baseline. In my area, tho, if you aren't deciding, committing, and acting - you're causing an accident.

Yes the lane change is interesting and aggressive... I have a theory... when I do the lane change at 50 mph it is perfect... at 70 mph, it's much more abrupt... and at 90, it was pretty shocking.
It's like it's taking the same angle regardless of the speed. I think in the future we will be able to select how aggressive lane changes occur, similar to steering feel... it will be 3 speeds of lane change from fastest to slowest...
1) Dukes of Hazard,
2) Silky nausea
3) Zeno's paradox

Interesting catch, Im gonna give these a try tomorrow, see if it feels the same way :)

Out of curiosity how do you know by what method it was downloaded? The car downloads the entire update, unpacks it, validates it, and then gives you the prompt to install it. My understanding is that whole process can take 30-60 minutes, and then there is the 27 minutes after that that it took to actually install it.
No idea on download. That was from "install" to completion. It has about 1 hour of me being home on Wifi before I got the new software message.

Did some more driving today and found a couple of other things. Either the maps were updated with VERY accurate speed limit sign placement, or AP2 is actually reading the signs. Used to show 65 on a 70 road all the time; however, tonight I noticed that as soon as I passed the 70 sign, it updated the limit on the dash display. Did this at least twice. I'll pay more attention on my next drive.

I installed this version last night, and it is not reading speed limit signs. There is a stretch of about a mile where I live that had the speed limits changed about a year ago. There are three signs in that span. My display showed the old speed limits during that entire span, which includes passing all three signs (none of which were obscured) in the rightmost lane of this two-lanes-per-side road.

Thanks for everyone's observations.

I got notification that .76 was available but I'm unsure I will update right away. I'm on 17.17.4 and use the car more on surface streets than freeways. The surface street reviews seem mixed at best. Maybe I'll monitor a bit more before updating.
Too bad it's not more like my router. Upgrade or roll back at will