Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just installed this update yesterday but when I got into the car today it's telling me there's another update. Is this a bug? Or there's a new update already.

Sounds like the bug is a user error to me.

Check your system built number carefully. Does it say: 8.1 17-26-76? If it does, then you are right. There is a bug, but more likely it's what software support calls an "id 10 T" error. These 10 T errors happen a lot. Don't worry about it.

I had been waiting seems like a couple months for an update since Elon talked about the "silky smooth". I was wondering if I was ever going to get it. I finally received an update notification this morning for 17.26.76. Looks like the download was quite large from "us-west-2.elb.amazonaws.com", guess they stream it from AWS (around 1.27GB). Also, received about 577.5MB from "va.teslamotors.com". Anyway, I'm not sure what Elon was referring to about the silky smooth, but I was expecting the breaking to be more smooth and haven't noticed it yet. It would be nice if the release notes offered a bit more detail about what was changed. AP2 P90D

It seems to look for car in the next lane before it changes, I signaled the lane change when a car is next to me, it waits for the car to move away from a distance before it changes lane. However, I think you still have to signal the change at the right time when it is indeed safe to change on the safe side. I only tested this update last night once, it appears to be somewhat smoother than 17.17.4 though it still struggles on curved highway, at least it recognize I want stay on the highway on the right most lane when approaching exit ramp where the lane marker is broken. Another improvement is on straight line it less bouncy like a first time 14 years old driver constantly steers the car.
Yes, I got .76 today... and drove 125 miles... this is a big update, I am pretty sure AP2 is at least as good as AP1 now. It's really impressive. Still needs work, but there are two interesting things I noticed today.... 1) it is a little better at the recognizing cars stopped on the highway at a red lights (texas 71 near bastrop), but still waits way too long before braking, it is as though the car is not sure it sees the car stopped at the light... this stretch of highway is 70 mph, and then there are lights every few miles on this highway... if you come upon a red light at full speed, and a car in front of you has been sitting at the red light, you have to be ready to cancel AP. 2) today I noticed on a long high speed curve, the car took a line through the curve very similar to what a human driver would have done... where you drift to the outermost portion of the lane before cutting towards the innermost portion of the curve.... pretty cool

I just received my update from 17.17.17 to 17.26.76, AP2 90D. I drove for about an hour with the following observations:

1. The download occurred at midnight, got up first thing in the am and the app said there was a new update. Went out to my Tesla and the 17" display was blank and I had to reboot by holding down the two scroll wheels. The UI then recovered with the firmware update screen visible which then updated fine after that point
2. Best news for me was the auto perpendicular park which worked great the 4 times I tried it. Very cool as I never experienced AP1.
3. The AP changes are a mixed bag as others have mentioned. For steady state conditions on the highway it was smoother with smaller and more continuous corrections around curves which was good.
4. AP/TACC on local roads seems no better to slightly worse. There were a number of occurrences of breaking too abruptly when cars in front slowed down and rapid steering jerks for unknown reasons. I've experienced this also on 17.17.17.
3. Changing lanes is now more abrupt and "surprising" upon the first few attempts but you get used to it. When changing lanes the detection of other vehicles is not dependable especially when there was a car in the adjacent lane on the passenger side near the blind spot. In other cases vehicle awareness was excellent and the auto lane change waited appropriately before execution. This behavior seems the same as 17.17.17.

The net for me is positive as perpendicular park and better smoothness on the highway outweighs the negative for abrupt lane changes and poor braking/jerking on local roads.

That looks like Ubiquit UniFi's mobile app to me (they also have a very nice web interface).

One or more UAP-AC + cloud key + USG makes a very nice home setup ;-)

That's correct. I'm also using one of their POE switches and an older UAP (non-AC) in my garage to guarantee a strong link. I even have a dedicated SSID just for the Tesla. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have completed my IOT VLAN isolation.

3. Changing lanes is now more abrupt and "surprising" upon the first few attempts but you get used to it. When changing lanes the detection of other vehicles is not dependable especially when there was a car in the adjacent lane on the passenger side near the blind spot. In other cases vehicle awareness was excellent and the auto lane change waited appropriately before execution. This behavior seems the same as 17.17.17.
Please don't trust the car to know when it's OK to change lanes. It doesn't know. The ultrasonics aren't good enough for that and the side repeater cameras aren't working yet.

What I noticed with this update, compared to the 22.46 I think it was, is that lane changing is much more smoother, it doesn't do that "fast-slow-fast" steering it did before. Longitudinal control seems smoother but it still wasn't as smooth as AP1 coming to a stop.

Got the update today (AP2), Europe. So far very satisfied. Adaptive Cruise now changes the max. speed (+offset) according to the current speed limit. Info comes from GPS, no speed sign recognition. :-|

P. S. Still no auto high beams, why?. Auto wipers not checked yet.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
More info - while smoother on sweeping turns, it's more aggressive with the wheel at low speeds. Like at lights.
Got the update today (AP2), Europe. So far very satisfied. Adaptive Cruise now changes the max. speed (+offset) according to the current speed limit. Info comes from GPS, no speed sign recognition. :-|

P. S. Still no auto high beams, why?. Auto wipers not checked yet.
auto high beams work fine for me.

Do you have them enabled in the menu? Also, they are actually "auto low beams". That is, they work when you have high beams on by lowering for incoming traffic.

They don't work if you have low beams selected.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
My experience is similar to yours but I haven't tried auto park yet.
  • I found that on the highway the car has a tendency to very gently "ping pong" between the sides of the lane. It only moves a few inches each way but it's noticeable and mildly annoying. This is on straight sections. The corners are perhaps a little bit better but still not really smooth. It's smooth enough to not annoy my wife at least.
  • The lane changing is perhaps a little too brisk now - I can live with it though since it does pause before it goes. I have had more semi-failed lane changes where it goes unbelievably slow sometimes and I don't know why. I didn't have that issue before.
  • Overall braking seems smoother and more likely to use regen better but I still prefer to stop and go myself unless I'm really tired or if I'm talking on the phone.
  • Local roads are still dicey at best. Multi lane local roads are good (just a slow highway after all) and it's nice to be able to go more than 5 above but on typical local roads it remains unusable.
  • Someone else had claimed that doing the button for a windshield rinse would no longer automatically turn on your headlights for a minute or two. My experience is that it still turns them on. Just an annoyance though.

Craig

I just received my update from 17.17.17 to 17.26.76, AP2 90D. I drove for about an hour with the following observations:

1. The download occurred at midnight, got up first thing in the am and the app said there was a new update. Went out to my Tesla and the 17" display was blank and I had to reboot by holding down the two scroll wheels. The UI then recovered with the firmware update screen visible which then updated fine after that point
2. Best news for me was the auto perpendicular park which worked great the 4 times I tried it. Very cool as I never experienced AP1.
3. The AP changes are a mixed bag as others have mentioned. For steady state conditions on the highway it was smoother with smaller and more continuous corrections around curves which was good.
4. AP/TACC on local roads seems no better to slightly worse. There were a number of occurrences of breaking too abruptly when cars in front slowed down and rapid steering jerks for unknown reasons. I've experienced this also on 17.17.17.

The net for me is positive as perpendicular park and better smoothness on the highway outweighs the negative for abrupt lane changes and poor braking/jerking on local roads.

• Informative
Reactions: Sawyer8888
That's correct. I'm also using one of their POE switches and an older UAP (non-AC) in my garage to guarantee a strong link. I even have a dedicated SSID just for the Tesla. Hopefully by the end of the summer I'll have completed my IOT VLAN isolation.

For people interested in discussing WiFi networking, we actually have a thread for that.

Wifi Router chatter

And +1 for the Ubiquiti gear, from a recent convert.

Bruce.

Enjoyed AP2 this morning and afternoon. N CA 57 to W CA 60 is a flyover bridge. MS 90D slowed excessively with the cement wall (no big deal for now). Lane centering is much better so far on the freeway. Lane changes are immediate as others have mentioned (I prefer the lack of delay that occasionally was endless on AP1). On surface roads, there was only one hug to the left side on a curve with the tires tapping the reflectors next to a double yellow line.

The vehicle stopped about a half car distance from stopped traffic on stop and go surface roads. Sudden steering to the left lane line occurred after missing lane lines (in an intersection) to immediately get back on course. That was a new sensation as others have mentioned. I appreciate the accuracy rather than wondering if the vehicle is going to correct itself. As usual, there are a few times that pressing the brake pedal is a better option than experimenting with stopped traffic. Overall, I am pleased with the progress and look forward to more improvements (especially the speed limit road sign recognition).

Reactions: 1 person
Just started a highway trip to Lake Tahoe on this build. Overall I’m extremely impressed coming from 17.17.4. I’ve taken this trip a dozen times on AP1 and now a few times on AP2 and this is officially the first time I’ve seen real extended durations of AP2 performing better than AP1 on certain roads!

The good:

- Absolutely a rock star on sweeping curves and straight freeways. The 8 bit jagged turning phenomenon is basically gone.
- on hilly curves particularly next to trucks casting shadows, AP2 was definitively better than ap1 in my experience. The AP2 sensors do not exhibit truck lust and they are able to read lane lines much faster than AP1 which is key for curves.
- I did a stress test on a mountainous stretch: 88mph in a 65mph curvy area, carefully supervising. No disengagement needed. AP1 was not able to do this! Some of these stretches had to be manually piloted on AP1. This is literally the first trip where I was able to use AP on every stretch of road on this route.
- no overpass braking observed
- on multilane curves, did not falsely brake for cars in adjacent lanes
- longitudinal control is better for the most part – it starts slowing down earlier for slow or stopped cars, aggressively maintaining the following distance cushion. I personally prefer this compared to before.

Regressions from 17.17.4:
- the new lane changes are TOO aggressive. It literally dives for the next lane.
- when exiting sharp curves, there’s a bit of an overshoot (“integral windup” effect for control system nerds). That is, it doesn’t straighten out early enough and it veers towards the inner edge of the lane.
- standstill / stop and go autosteer is worse. It gave me two TAKE OVER IMMEDIATELY alerts in red light queuing scenarios that previous builds handled fine.
- it seems like “two cars in front” no longer works: I didn’t see it displaying a second car in front ever on this drive? Not sure if it’s just a cosmetic display thing or if it wouldn’t even react to it.

General deficiencies like previous builds:

- Sometimes still fails to brake for stopped cars, especially approaching around a curve. Be careful!
- local AutoSteer remains dicey. If lane lines are discontinuous or there’s new turn lanes appearing and disappearing, it wants to dive for them. No different from previous builds but this is an area AP1 handled better.

Overall though thumbs up. This is very nice progress since the last build.

I think the reason people are taking you less and less seriously Oktane is because you continue to use inflammatory words despite the fact that even you must admit AP2 is improving signficantly release after release. Yet you use words like "shittily" rather than "Despite improvement it still isn't as smooth as AP1" - you are starting to sound like the boy who cried wolf. You have nothing interesting to contribute to the forum, no original topics - just slam after slam after slam on Tesla. Looking at your post history at least 75% of your posts are just ways to criticize your car - as though you find it therapeutic somehow. It's like you're working through your anger.

The other thing is that a few of us own both cars (such as me). AP1 is still a bit smoother but AP2 is a stunning achievement - starting from zero to something which in my experience is getting very close to AP1 and is superior in some settings. This latest "silky smooth" update makes it indistinguishable to most people. You are one of the far right side of the bell curve nut balls which populate this forum (so am I). To normal civilians the current state of AP2 is magic.

Your claims held some truth a few firmware builds back - but you're starting to sound a bit silly 17.17.4 was a big improvement and "silk" is a further refinement. Plus as I told people in my case the car has definitely "learned" to avoid a trouble spot after all those video uploads from 17.17.4 to the current release - it's impressive.

If you gave a more balanced picture of minus vs plus you wouldn't be turning yourself into a forum joke, which is what is gradually happening. You're messing up your own reputation because you're becoming a one-note person with nothing to contribute here except your pet peeve - which you repeat over, and over, and over again while ignoring the improvement AP2 is making.
Hadouken GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Last edited: