Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2012 P85 Pack Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting topic! I had my E-pack 85kWh battery replaced in October by another 85kWh pack, but by a slightly earlier D-pack. They told me they took a battery pack with 'similar age and mileage', but finally I had a couple of km's extra compared to my original battery.
Been driving with it for 10k km's, no issues whatsoever, and range seems to hold up well too, though some degradation.

If I had been given the chance then, I think I would have liked a 90kWh pack as a replacement for the free extra range and supercharging speed, even throttled I think it's still faster to 90% SoC than an 85 no? I wasn't aware that the 90 packs had faster degradation though, so finally I might be better of with my older 85.
In any case I'm happy my pack got replaced, no complaints at all :)

Interesting topic! I had my E-pack 85kWh battery replaced in October by another 85kWh pack, but by a slightly earlier D-pack. They told me they took a battery pack with 'similar age and mileage', but finally I had a couple of km's extra compared to my original battery.
Been driving with it for 10k km's, no issues whatsoever, and range seems to hold up well too, though some degradation.

If I had been given the chance then, I think I would have liked a 90kWh pack as a replacement for the free extra range and supercharging speed, even throttled I think it's still faster to 90% SoC than an 85 no? I wasn't aware that the 90 packs had faster degradation though, so finally I might be better of with my older 85.
In any case I'm happy my pack got replaced, no complaints at all :)

I wonder if the replacement they gave you has anything to do with your being in Europe. Would take much longer to ship a new pack.
Do you have an 85, 85D, P85 or a P85D?

It's a late 2014 RWD 85 with AP1.
The pack was shipped from the Tilburg factory, where they do the final assembly for all EU cars. Apparently they have a stock available, because the replacement took half a day. The battery was shipped to my SeC in a couple of days only.

I had a BMS issue, and it was easier to just swap out the entire battery. They told me the cells were still OK and would be recycled.

• Informative
Reactions: Galve2000
My car had 140k km at the time, so approx 90k miles (I live in Belgium, but I'll convert the numbers).

Don't worry about the number of miles on the car. I've seen cars with 200k miles without any issues. Drive train can go on for 1million miles, and the 2013 car still has 3years of full warranty on the battery and drive train.

My car also didn't have a battery issue, but the battery management system (BMS) failed. It was just more economical for Tesla to replace the entire pack than to fix the BMS.
My range would suddenly drop 60-70miles of range instantly when parked, sometimes it came back, more often it didn't. Sometimes I drove 100miles and only 30 miles dropped on the screen (wishful thinking ;)). The BMS couldn't give me a correct reading of the charge, and the cells weren't unbalanced (was the first thought of the service center). The end game was when I parked at home with 50miles left, and woke the car up with 0 miles.
Tesla towed the car, service was impeccable with good communication and quick fix.

If you find a good deal for a high mileage car, go for it if it's in good mechanical and aesthetic condition. I bought my car privately at 73k miles, now I'm at 93k happy miles without regrets!

I would think so, most likely anyways. The BMS is split up from what I recall, there are individual BMS boards on each module. So repairing or replacing the BMS would mean tearing the pack apart which is likely more costly unless you can have it done by a third party. Tesla would have to ship it back to Fremont or Nevada as, at least as far as I have read, none of the service centers will open it up.

• Informative
Reactions: xveys
I would think so, most likely anyways. The BMS is split up from what I recall, there are individual BMS boards on each module. So repairing or replacing the BMS would mean tearing the pack apart which is likely more costly unless you can have it done by a third party. Tesla would have to ship it back to Fremont or Nevada as, at least as far as I have read, none of the service centers will open it up.

Unlikely that all the boards failed simultaneously. There is the main BMS board and then each module has a BMB. If only one of the BMBs failed, then I could see the argument that the owner would have to pay for a replacement module, but not the entire pack.

Service centers used to open up packs for contactor retrofits.

Unlikely that all the boards failed simultaneously. There is the main BMS board and then each module has a BMB. If only one of the BMBs failed, then I could see the argument that the owner would have to pay for a replacement module, but not the entire pack.

Service centers used to open up packs for contactor retrofits.
Gotcha, yeah if thats the case then they should certainly not be replacing the whole pack.

I'd love for you to cite a source for this, as it's patently untrue. I've gone through four drive units since 2013. Based on my experience, drive units can barely get to 20,000 miles before exhibiting issues. YMMV.

For sure I don't have any sources for this, but this is what Telsa claims, and what EM often repeats. Don't take my word for it :). If it isn't true, then I'm glad we're all still covered for a number of years. By then they'll surely have improved the drive unit reliability.
From what I heard the Q type revision drive units are more reliable and durable than the previous versions. I heard of people with 7 DU replacements, once the Q revision came in all wes smooth afterwards. My car had replacements at 15000km and 145000km, so that previous one (not a Q version) went on for 130000km.

Well they are supposed to be putting the new pack in today. They asked me not to disclose what it is yet ;) but rest assured I will post pics once they return the vehicle to me. Don't get too excited though, it's nothing extremely crazy or anything. They did give me the pack P/N and I am happy with it. Will share that as well once the I have the car back.

So.... Telsa did replace the battery today though they did not say that it is "done", I checked the app and right now the car is showing up as a "90".

Question to the folks here is, does anyone have the specs on an RWD 90? I know the 90Ds we're pretty comparable to the P85 in terms of performance but I am having a harder time finding specs for the straight 90. Also, should I be ok with them rebranding it as a 90 which would not be a "performance" model?