Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I met Trevor from M3OC a couple weeks or so ago, and talked to him. He was present at the VIP factory tours.

I provide this information to give color on what he may or may not know about the state of the Model 3 line. He told me that he saw the parts of the Model 3 line visible from where the tour went, and that while it obviously wasn't ready yet, work seemed to be progressing at a feverish pace.

Knowing that he saw what it looked like during the tour, and that he is now saying his source is suggesting as many as thousands by the end of July I find interesting. I expect a high degree of reliability in Trevor's source. If there weren't, then Trevor would tend to prefer trusting what he saw with his own eyes and that many of you saw with your own eyes.

I questioned Trevor about this. He answered that his source is a Tesla employee. Here is that post: Trevor answers Curt

1.1B chip plant is not a lot of money in semiconductors, most of the advanced node chip plants costs $5-10B, some of the most advanced tools costs multi-million $ to buy. Chips used in auto industry used to be typically made on older technology nodes that are cheaper to make and also have less reliability issues, but automation may require more advanced nodes to give it enough computation power. Also more people are getting out of chip-fab business vs getting in, even big guys like Apple and Nvidia who do their own chip design and make millions of them, they use fabs like Samsung or TSMC to make the chips, because it takes that kind of scale and production efficiency to make money in chip fab. It would be interesting to see more details on what technology node Bosch goes with and how they plan on being cost-effective.

I believe that Tesla chose a height that would work with their existing vehicles.
Tesla claims they chose the dimensions that optimize cells for cost and energy/power density.
Not mutually exclusive parameters. My expectation is 2170 packs could be installed without chassis modification.

Reactions: MitchJi and neroden
Regarding the news that the Gigafactory has started making M3 cells...

1) Weren't we all talking about how they were doing that like 6-8 weeks ago? Wasn't the news that M3 packs were being hand assembled in anticipation of the M3 ramp, and that Tesla had allocated money to automate that instead of having people doing it? Now suddenly they are just starting to make M3 cells? Also, maybe hundreds are already running around. How can they have just started? Which is correct?
2) Is this this waaayyy too late to be starting? They have to make them, age them, put them in packs. If they want to deliver any new M3's at all in July this seems too late.

This whole comment by JB seems like it may have been misunderstood, or he was saying that they are "just now" saying they are making them?

Reactions: neroden and Rarity
NCA has greater energy density than NMC, which is why it's the choice for vehicles. At least it has been, possibly Prof. Dahn's work on NMC has pushed the density significantly higher.

And NMC has higher cycle life than NCA. Powerpacks and powerwalls designed with NMC to be cycled once per day. Cars using NCA designed to be cycled once per week

I questioned Trevor about this. He answered that his source is a Tesla employee. Here is that post: Trevor answers Curt

Personally I can't help but be skeptical of a single unnamed source, even if Trevor vouched for them. 1 person's perspective could be incomplete, even if they have the best of intentions and significant knowledge.

I'll be very happy if Model 3 production goes are well as this source indicates, but I'm not counting on it.

1) Weren't we all talking about how they were doing that like 6-8 weeks ago? Wasn't the news that M3 packs were being hand assembled in anticipation of the M3 ramp, and that Tesla had allocated money to automate that instead of having people doing it? Now suddenly they are just starting to make M3 cells? Also, maybe hundreds are already running around. How can they have just started? Which is correct?
2) Is this this waaayyy too late to be starting? They have to make them, age them, put them in packs. If they want to deliver any new M3's at all in July this seems too late.

This whole comment by JB seems like it may have been misunderstood, or he was saying that they are "just now" saying they are making them?

My assumption is that initial Model 3 cells for the RC's and possibly into the initial production vehicles were made in Japan. It would make sense to perfect new chemistry there instead of at the Gigafactory. It provides a redundancy in case there are production issues at the Gigafactory.

SnipImage.JPG
NCA has greater energy density than NMC, which is why it's the choice for vehicles. At least it has been, possibly Prof. Dahn's work on NMC has pushed the density significantly higher.

Yes, this data from 2013 paper kinda of talks about what was doable prior to 2013.

Just sent PM's to those that wanted the recording of JB's talk this weekend. Anyone else that's active in the investor section and interested, PM me.

(they made it clear they didn't want personal recordings, so I'm just avoiding posting a public link - I'd expect it to show up here someday)

Unofficial video (by Kman):

Hmmm, I bet they change the form factor eventually anyway, but they're in no hurry. They can't do it before December 2017, and then they will likely find that the Gigafactory is ramping up slower than Model 3 / Powerpack demand, and so on... so a lot of incentives to keep S/X supplied from the old factory. On the other hand, getting US production would seriously cut Canadian prices for Model S/X thanks to NAFTA rules.

?? dont quite understand then why go 2170 if x and s aren't? because the 2170 is cheaper to make?

Best to read that quote as "No immediate plans to change cell form factor for X and S." He still has to sell S and X in 2017 and doesn't want to Osborne them. I think cut over only happens if either the Model 3 launch goes very wrong or the Gigafactory ramp is very good. Either way, it's Q4 at best, more likely Q1 or Q2.

Just for a perspective on this, before revealing the dual motor drive, Elon on numerous occasions indicated that there were no plans for AWD Model S.

The truth is, if Tesla is not able to switch to the new format of cells for MS and MX for several months because they are focused on the starting and ramping up M3 production (or any other reason), they can't afford customers delaying MX and MS purchase until the new cells will make their way into these cars. So I think whatever Elon has to say about this has to be taken with the grain of salt.

Last edited:

Exactly. I don't think this is really concrete news.

Just for a perspective on this, before revealing the dual motor drive, Elon on numerous occasions indicated that there are no plans for AWD Model S.

The truth is, if Tesla is not able to switch to the new format of cells for MS and MX for several months because they are focused on the starting and ramping up M3 production (or any other reason), they can't afford customers delaying MX and MS purchase until the new cells will make their way into these cars. So I think whatever Elon has to say about this has to be taken with the grain of salt.
I would prefer that he would simply ignore these questions instead of replying with them in that manner. I understand the reasoning for the answer that was given if that is the case, but it would have been easier to just not reply. He ignores plenty of Twitter questions. I'm one of those weirdos that prefer brutal honesty as opposed to sugar coated answers or white lies.

Status
Not open for further replies.