Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2017 Investor Roundtable:General Discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
JB has come out and said "no" to this idea. Probably not worth the labor involved in testing and matching cells of similar capacity and resistance.

Ahh makes sense. Didn't realize the system was so sensitive to the cells being matched. To me it is clear they have plans to recycle and it is clear they automate as much as they physically can, so it would make sense that they potentially have come up with a way to break down the cells enough to have it at least make it worth their while if for no other reason then PR. They can say that they will recycle every part of the battery to offset what they need to mine. They also have a few years to figure it out.

• Helpful
Reactions: Johann Koeber
JB has come out and said "no" to this idea. Probably not worth the labor involved in testing and matching cells of similar capacity and resistance.
Not to nit-pick, but testing the resistance of a cell and putting it in a bucket with other similar cells seems like something a robot could easily and quickly do. But if JB said no then pretty sure that's that. It suggests that they know some better way than to test and reuse the cells.

It's not just testing and sorting but also removing from modules without damaging cells. Cell connections are welded, which would need to be cleanly separated and the surface smoothed and cleaned for re-welding.

Grouping and reuse at the module level might make more sense at some point, especially if cycle life begins to significantly exceed vehicle life.

I'm just weighing in with a bit of optimism, due to the fact that I have company shares vesting today. I'll sell them all tomorrow and hopefully the money will clear immediately. Otherwise I'm stuck hoping this dip lasts until Thursday.

Buy-the-Dip update:
Company vested shares sold, now need the money to clear, looking like Friday... let the dip continue!

• Love
Reactions: TrendTrader007
Very small tidbit, the cameras for AP2.0 cost about 25 EUR per piece when bought in volume > 10k. Together with price of the Nvidia shows how big the gap between cost of goods and revenu is on EAP/FSD. In a way misleiding because the biggest 'cost of goods' is likely the development of the software itself, but that's lumped in R&D instead of costs of goods.

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE
It's a VIP fremont factory tour (June 2 and June 3) for the referral program winners where they'll have private viewing of Model 3.

@FredTMC, @AlMc and I will be there. Anybody else from this thread that is going?

I am going. A bunch of us are. We will try to update. Hopefully the "Model 3 viewing" is substantial, but it really might be "Look but don't touch the 2 prototypes everyone knows about". HOPEFULLY it is one of the test fleet and we can see the interior. But if that is the case, they surely would have already shown or leaked it. Wierd if it is the June 2 group tweeting photos and that is how the world learns, but if so we will oblige.

I am going. A bunch of us are. We will try to update. Hopefully the "Model 3 viewing" is substantial, but it really might be "Look but don't touch the 2 prototypes everyone knows about". HOPEFULLY it is one of the test fleet and we can see the interior. But if that is the case, they surely would have already shown or leaked it. Wierd if it is the June 2 group tweeting photos and that is how the world learns, but if so we will oblige.

I highly doubt cameras allowed. I guess we will find out. I'd be v surprised

I highly doubt cameras allowed. I guess we will find out. I'd be v surprised

Actually, @FredLambert will almost certainly be there too. So TMC shouldn't have to be hanging on my tweets. But I will promote my handle as we get closer in case it is useful for people.

Also interesting: Will the factory tour show a finished model 3 line. Probably not, and that is fine. Or it will be a line with robots in pretend mode. But 100% of the interest will be in the new line, so the prepared comments by the tour guides will be interesting in itself.

• Love
Reactions: everman
Actually, @FredLambert will almost certainly be there too. So TMC shouldn't have to be hanging on my tweets. But I will promote my handle as we get closer in case it is useful for people.

Also interesting: Will the factory tour show a finished model 3 line. Probably not, and that is fine. Or it will be a line with robots in pretend mode. But 100% of the interest will be in the new line, so the prepared comments by the tour guides will be interesting in itself.

Yeah I'll be there. Though I hear that it is not sure that the Model 3 will be a release candidate, which would be a bummer.

BMW China Sales Soar 39%, Passes Mercedes, Buries Cadillac and Lincoln
Germany's BMW topped its chief rivals Daimler and Volkswagen in unit sales in China for the month of April. Sales of BMW and Mini vehicles rose 39% to 48,869 in April, according to a Tuesday report at Automotive News.

Daimler's Mercedes-Benz brand rose a significant 35% to unit sales of 47,627 units in April, while VW's Audi division saw a sales decline of 6.9% to 46,166 vehicles. The report noted that Audi sales are suffering due to a dispute with its dealers over the company's proposed new distribution network.
And BMW, at least, is not standing still. According to Automotive News, the company plans over the next five years to double its production capacity in China to more than 600,000 light vehicles.

It's not just testing and sorting but also removing from modules without damaging cells. Cell connections are welded, which would need to be cleanly separated and the surface smoothed and cleaned for re-welding.

Grouping and reuse at the module level might make more sense at some point, especially if cycle life begins to significantly exceed vehicle life.

Another issue is obsolescence. Say density doubles in ten years. The recoverable minerals in an old battery may produce much more economic value if recycled into a new technology than if simply reused for another decade. It's about making best use of the minerals.

At this point I think JB may be more interested in advancing battery technology than in trying to squeeze the last cycles out of old technology.

Status
Not open for further replies.