Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2018.26 3bbd9fd .-

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just more of a safety PSA: These recent AP2 builds permit much more aggressive steering inputs at lower speeds, so if you're using AP on questionable roads, please do keep your hands on the wheel.

Was slowly crawling through an intersection this morning due to a traffic jam, following a lead car. The rightmost lane (mine) was backed up due to a highway onramp, but the other lanes were freely flowing at 50+mph. Out of nowhere, AP2 jerked the wheel to the left. My hand was loosely gripping the wheel so I tightened immediately, which disengaged AP, but not before the car visibly moved to the left and body rolled a little. I didn't depart my lane, but I got honked at by the person passing me to the left, so my car must've looked like I was going to cut him off.

So…. no matter how you pay attention, please make sure you're ready to respond to the steering wheel at a split second's notice when driving at slow speeds. AP2 in 2018.21.9+ being able to follow cloverleafs at slow speeds is pretty much directly because it's now allowed to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees or more below 25mph. But that can also get you into trouble.

(Note that I use AP2 in these conditions and even at this exact intersection all the time and rarely see something like this happen)

Just more of a safety PSA: These recent AP2 builds permit much more aggressive steering inputs at lower speeds, so if you're using AP on questionable roads, please do keep your hands on the wheel.

Was slowly crawling through an intersection this morning due to a traffic jam, following a lead car. The rightmost lane (mine) was backed up due to a highway onramp, but the other lanes were freely flowing at 50+mph. Out of nowhere, AP2 jerked the wheel to the left. My hand was loosely gripping the wheel so I tightened immediately, which disengaged AP, but not before the car visibly moved to the left and body rolled a little. I didn't depart my lane, but I got honked at by the person passing me to the left, so my car must've looked like I was going to cut him off.

So…. no matter how you pay attention, please make sure you're ready to respond to the steering wheel at a split second's notice when driving at slow speeds. AP2 in 2018.21.9+ being able to follow cloverleafs at slow speeds is pretty much directly because it's now allowed to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees or more below 25mph. But that can also get you into trouble.

(Note that I use AP2 in these conditions and even at this exact intersection all the time and rarely see something like this happen)
Thanks for the info and warning about this chillaban!
Changes like this should have been provided by tesla in the relese notes. Specialy since we alle are «volunteers» off the beta testing team.

Does anyone know if there are a collection of common things that the driver should pay extra attetion to when using auto steer?

Thanks for the info and warning about this chillaban!
Changes like this should have been provided by tesla in the relese notes. Specialy since we alle are «volunteers» off the beta testing team.

Does anyone know if there are a collection of common things that the driver should pay extra attetion to when using auto steer?

In general, the owner's manual provides a pretty cautious listing of these conditions that Autosteer may not handle well. And that basically boils down to anything that's not a restricted-access highway. With that said, many of us find that in practice, Autosteer/TACC can actually handle many situations the manual claims it cannot handle…

But I think the most important situations to watch out for are:

1. When lane lines suddenly degrade, or are missing, or there's prominent irrelevant lane lines (e.g. erased lane lines in construction zones, turn lane markings in the middle of an intersection for oncoming traffic, etc)
  2. People suddenly cutting in or out, especially cars that are facing diagonally because of it. (Assume AP can only handle cases where you're directly driving at the rear of someone else's car)
  3. especially on AP1, a driver in front of you that is obstructing a lane line (e.g. driving over one). AP2 seems less fooled by this, but on AP1 this causes that side's lane lines to no longer be detected.
  4. Stopping behind irregularly shaped cars, such as garbage trucks, landscaping trucks with trailers, cars with cargo hanging behind them, etc. Autopilot can struggle with correctly estimating the distance to those kinds of cars and pull up too closely.
  5. Stopping behind ridiculously tall cars like double decker transit buses… If the camera can't see the top of the vehicle, it often thinks there's no car there.
  6. Any time you're stopped and the car begins moving. Especially before, AP could lose track of a stopped car in front of you (especially if it's a weird vehicle like described in the last two bullets) and begin accelerating towards it. I think this is why AP takes off so slowly after a light. Definitely if you come to a complete stop and feel the car moving again, you should look up*
* (Yeah you should've already been paying attention, but I find a lot of people using AP in practice use it to mess with their phones while the car is stopped)

EDIT: I'll skip all of the situations where "centering between two lane lines and keeping distance to the vehicle in front of you" is not applicable or appropriate. This is the primary function of Autosteer. If these are not the instructions you'd give to a 15-year-old for the situation you're in, it's not a good time to use Autopilot.

Last edited:
* (Yeah you should've already been paying attention, but I find a lot of people using AP in practice use it to mess with their phones while the car is stopped)
I've got to ask, how do you "find" this? Are you assuming that everyone does the same thing as you, or are you creeping in the back of everyone else's Teslas? I mean, yeah, I see a lot of drivers looking at their phones at stop lights, but very few of those people are using autopilot to do so, because most of them aren't in Teslas.

On my AP2.5 and this update, I've experienced 3 times over about 500 miles driven where I get the front collision alert flashing the forward car image red, but the "real" car is still a couple car lengths ahead. In all 3 cases, the car in front was white and stop light was on. It didn't matter if I was on AP or not. My speed was under 30 mph. In my first 3500 miles of driving, I've never seen the collision warning.

Week 31 has arrived... I wonder if we'll start to see 2018.30 soon seeing as it seems they skipped 2018.28? I also noticed that it seems we're back on even numbered releases again.

My optimistic outlook on the versioning and the lack of recent updates is that Tesla is currently doing "the big 9.0 merge" (merge in the software dev sense: merging the dev branch into staging/mainline) and are starting a big validation and QA process that I imagine will continue for awhile (wouldn't expect a wide release until end of Aug/early Sept) if there are major new features.

But realistically... probably not, since its a pretty big "if" on Elon's tweet on 9.0 being on time with August, even late August.

Reactions: ChrML
I'm still on this version and am frustrated by the cabin preheat variably turning on the seat warmers or steering wheel based on what they last were set to. Sometimes the seat warmer comes on only after I've stepped into the car, sometimes it's on when I get into the car. The steering wheel sometimes doesn't come on at all, comes on when I step into the car, or is already on. It seems all the development happening in North America when we're in the cold in the southern hemisphere is hurting us :(

Noticed in my AP1 THATthe nag is worse with this update. Wish they would go bac’ to the first vrrsion which was more reasonable. It nags even when I have BOTH hands on the wheel. It is most noticeable in the highway straightaways. Current situation almost makes it more trouble than it is worth. Maybe we need a survey to determine who thinks it should be changed back, assuming there are enough of us who remember the first less draconian nag version ;-)

Noticed in my AP1 THATthe nag is worse with this update. Wish they would go bac’ to the first vrrsion which was more reasonable. It nags even when I have BOTH hands on the wheel. It is most noticeable in the highway straightaways. Current situation almost makes it more trouble than it is worth. Maybe we need a survey to determine who thinks it should be changed back, assuming there are enough of us who remember the first less draconian nag version ;-)
Adding a second hand to the wheel won't help reduce the nags. You need to induce some torque. If the weight of both your hands cancels out the torque, you could feasibly see more nags with both hands on.

Reactions: Helmuth
I just received the 2018.26.2 6341863 update on my AP 1.0 Model X. The notes mention setting up a maximum speed limit and the change in the steering wheel nag.

I had my car at the dealership yesterday. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the timing. I haven't driven it yet.

I just received the 2018.26.2 6341863 update on my AP 1.0 Model X. The notes mention setting up a maximum speed limit and the change in the steering wheel nag.

I had my car at the dealership yesterday. I'm not sure if that has any bearing on the timing. I haven't driven it yet.

Same generic notes as last two drops .....

Reactions: Ormond