Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4.18.1 released - includes Cabin Camera Updates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One interesting thing I’ve noticed is that, according to TeslaFi stats, the only vehicles currently getting software versions with the cabin camera driver monitoring (2021.4.15.11 and 2021.4.18.1) are brand new 3’s and Y’s in North America.

Presumably, these same new 3/Y’s are among those built without radar, which have temporary limitations placed on certain AP/FSD features. (Max Autosteer speed of 75mph, no smart summon, etc.) So I’m wondering if these two things are possibly related. And if they are, maybe it’ll turn out that camera driver monitoring is just a temporary band-aid for radar-less vehicles until “Tesla Vision” achieves parity with radar-equipped vehicles, and not the seismic shift in strategy that everyone is assuming. (???)

This is just speculation. There may be another explanation for why this groundbreaking and headline-making change in strategy is being rolled out with no warning or explanation and only to brand new vehicles. But until either (1) Tesla publicly confirms that cabin camera driver monitoring is intended fleet-wide for 3/Y’s, or (2) we start seeing camera monitoring software rolling out to older 3/Y’s that have radar, I’m going to be left wondering.

Last edited:
Looks like 2021.4.18.2 is out now, which includes cabin camera monitoring and is being rolled out widely to 3/Y’s (not restricted to new/radar-less North American vehicles like 2021.4.18.1 was).

So much for my earlier theory. But I still think it’s super weird that Tesla would widely push out cabin camera monitoring without any public statement/explanation/acknowledgement. Did I miss a tweet or press release or anything of that nature?

Looks like 2021.4.18.2 is out now, which includes cabin camera monitoring and is being rolled out widely to 3/Y’s (not restricted to new/radar-less North American vehicles like 2021.4.18.1 was).

So much for my earlier theory. But I still think it’s super weird that Tesla would widely push out cabin camera monitoring without any public statement/explanation/acknowledgement. Did I miss a tweet or press release or anything of that nature?
It's been in the owner's manual on page 24 since Oct of last year and explains what the cabin camera is, how data sharing works, a simulated image of what it sees and more.

It's been in the owner's manual on page 24 since Oct of last year and explains what the cabin camera is, how data sharing works, a simulated image of what it sees and more.
True, but it doesn't specifically mention driver monitoring for AP. But I do agree with @jsmay311 that, considering all of the grief they have gotten regarding their LACK of camera use for driver monitoring, they should be making a big deal out of this. But that would require a PR department.

Reactions: jpfive and jsmay311
Previously, the cabin camera was off by default, no vehicle features were dependent on it being turned on, and its only purpose was to share short clips/images associated with “safety events” (collisions and AEB events) to help give Tesla insight into safety issues IF the owner opted to enable this by changing the default setting.

The new situation is completely different. Videos are NOT shared with Tesla, vehicle features (AP/FSD) ARE dependent on the camera being enabled, and camera monitoring is continuous while using AP/FSD. And the owners manual (or at least the version available on my account) hasn’t been updated to reflect any of these changes.

Last edited:
Well, I'm glad I check the forums before installing updates. Got the prompt for 18.2 and figured I'd look into it. The real annoying thing is that being .2 you wouldn't expect a dramatic change. On the one hand, the new tech is fascinating and I'd love to see it work. On the other hand, I don't really want that camera active and find it obnoxious that there's no way to know of that change until it's too late.
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Anyone who gets, it please report any changes good or bad.

Well, I'm glad I check the forums before installing updates. Got the prompt for 18.2 and figured I'd look into it. The real annoying thing is that being .2 you wouldn't expect a dramatic change. On the one hand, the new tech is fascinating and I'd love to see it work. On the other hand, I don't really want that camera active and find it obnoxious that there's no way to know of that change until it's too late.
I suppose it had to happen sooner or later. Anyone who gets, it please report any changes good or bad.

No change noticed here. Except to my driving habits. Finding myself trying harder to not glance into the car, or get distracted going to the screen. Voice commands are my go to now.

Reactions: alexcue
Got the .2 software update. My car doesn't mention anything about the cabin camera, and I still got the nag when using Autopilot, and I made sure I was looking forward.

I've got a Model 3 from July 2019.

Very interesting!

Maybe the release notes published by notateslaapp.com aren’t to be believed.

Plus, I found a YouTube video of a guy who also said there was nothing about the cabin camera in his 2021.4.18.2 release notes for his Model 3, and there was no sign that it was monitoring him while using Autopilot to make sure he was paying attention.

Or maybe 2021.4.18.2 does have cabin camera monitoring built into the software, but it’s only activated for the few radar-less 3/Y’s out there? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Very interesting!

Maybe the release notes published by notateslaapp.com aren’t to be believed.

Plus, I found a YouTube video of a guy who also said there was nothing about the cabin camera in his 2021.4.18.2 release notes for his Model 3, and there was no sign that it was monitoring him while using Autopilot to make sure he was paying attention.

Or maybe 2021.4.18.2 does have cabin camera monitoring built into the software, but it’s only activated for the few radar-less 3/Y’s out there? 🤷‍♂️
I guess that's possible, but what does the cabin camera have to do with radar-less vehicles? Are our cameras not physically connected from the factory?

Got the .2 software update. My car doesn't mention anything about the cabin camera, and I still got the nag when using Autopilot, and I made sure I was looking forward.
Did you see somewhere that no-radar vehicles only get nags when not paying attention? I would think at this point, Tesla is adding extra nags if it detects inattention in addition to other restrictions such as the speed limitation and minimum follow distance. For vehicles with radar, it seems unlikely Tesla would add restrictions on existing functionality and hold off on rolling out active vision-only behavior. So for now, a wide release of vision-only on vehicles with radar is likely to verify in shadow mode.

Did you see somewhere that no-radar vehicles only get nags when not paying attention? I would think at this point, Tesla is adding extra nags if it detects inattention in addition to other restrictions such as the speed limitation and minimum follow distance. For vehicles with radar, it seems unlikely Tesla would add restrictions on existing functionality and hold off on rolling out active vision-only behavior. So for now, a wide release of vision-only on vehicles with radar is likely to verify in shadow mode.
Wondering how advanced Tesla Vision really is or if it is really a rush job due to the parts shortage. Our MY seems to work fine with the update. We are still being asked to grab the steering wheel from time to time, cabin cam or no cam.

This article has some insight on the tech and what Tesla is up against... and maybe why this Beta program could be real good for Tesla owners Autopilot.

I guess that's possible, but what does the cabin camera have to do with radar-less vehicles? Are our cameras not physically connected from the factory?

The link between radar-less 3/Y’s and cabin camera monitoring comes from the fact that the only software versions that are verified to include cabin camera driver monitoring are 2021.4.18.1 and 2021.4.15.11, and the TeslaFi Firmware Tracker showed that those software versions were only going to brand new North American (i.e., radar-less) 3’s and Y’s.
And now the tracker shows that these same radar-less vehicles are being migrated to 2021.4.18.2, so I’m assuming that cabin camera monitoring is included in 18.2 for this small subset of radar-less 3/Y’s even though it’s apparently not (yet?) activated for other vehicles.

And, yes, cabin cameras are physically connected in all 3/Y’s. But the cameras aren’t used the same way in all 3/Y’s. (In older vehicles, it was only used for voluntary/opt-in sharing of video clips from “safety events”, as described in the settings and owners manual.)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: JerseyShoreMY
No, I have not seen anything about reduced nags. I was commenting on my specific situation because it doesn't line up with what is reported on notateslaapp.com.

I use TACC a lot. It's different with this update. I think I might be on pure vision. In the past, when someone going the other direction makes a left turn and crosses into my lane, TACC slows down hard even though the car is a good distance away and I'm not at risk of hitting them. I noticed today on my drive home from work that TACC did not do that. Overall, TACC seems smoother.

The link between radar-less 3/Y’s and cabin camera monitoring comes from the fact that the only software versions that are verified to include cabin camera driver monitoring are 2021.4.18.1 and 2021.4.15.11, and the TeslaFi Firmware Tracker showed that those software versions were only going to brand new North American (i.e., radar-less) 3’s and Y’s.
And now the tracker shows that these same radar-less vehicles are being migrated to 2021.4.18.2, so I’m assuming that cabin camera monitoring is included in 18.2 for this small subset of radar-less 3/Y’s even though it’s apparently not (yet?) activated for other vehicles.

And, yes, cabin cameras are physically connected in all 3/Y’s. But the cameras aren’t used the same way in all 3/Y’s. (In older vehicles, it was only used for voluntary/opt-in sharing of video clips from “safety events”, as described in the settings and owners manual.)
Downloading update 2021.4.18.2 right now in our MY.
Will install tonight.. tomorrow we will see what differences we can see with AP and TACC.