Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020.4 Anything New?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disagree somewhat. The anti game people are an uptight breed of conservative that complain about any initiative that deviates from basic functional necessity.
‘Why are we sending foreign aid when we have problems here in our country?’ This is the same mentality. Unless every conceivable necessity is being served at no cost or deficit, then and only then is there time and resources for fun. It’s the same guy, just this time it’s about how Tesla must address and be perfect in all other ways before having any fun. You can have a beer with those types. I’ll pass.

I think the reasons people have for being pro-games or anti-games on the Tesla have nothing to do with how they are as humans.

I'm largely neutral because it really comes down to how Tesla implements the games. They don't spend a lot of internal resources working on the games. They largely just license the game, and then the game manufacture customizes it for Tesla.

It's why the really cool things that COULD be implemented are not. Things like multiplayer racing games to go up against other people at superchargers. Plus the hardware the car has isn't situated for anything other than casual games. Like you can't ever have a really awesome racing game because the tires are mechanically linked to the steering wheel. MCU2 also only has the integrated Intel GPU for graphics processing so you can't expect any snazzy graphics unless they somehow utilized the HW3 computer.

I don't think most of us actually play the games much. But, they serve a bigger purpose. The bigger purpose is about marketing. Tesla's are HUGELY popular among young people, and especially kids. So having games just makes a lot business sense for Tesla to attract customers. They say they have zero marketing cost, but the games serve as marketing. Anytime Tesla introduces a game they also get a lot of media coverage talking about it even if it's entirely silly.

The anti-game people are those that see resources going to pointless things while lots of the SW still lacks basic functionality.

Some easy examples:

Every day I go to work it tells me to go the wrong way during part of my drive. There is no mechanism for me to fix this issue, and I haven't seen any fellow Tesla owner successfully update a directional map. They only seem capable of updating the parking lot maps for smart summon.

I've never managed to get the car to connect to my phones hot spot in any kind of consistent manner. I'd like to be able to get away without paying the $9.99 a month for premium connectivity. All I want is streaming music, and I have plenty of data with my phone plan.

There is no mechanism to play back the sentry mode videos.

Now I don't complain too much about the games because I don't think they take a lot of resources. Plus I think Tesla has plans on monetizing them at some point. Where they have some kind of app store. Maybe they'll have a $20 app that I can buy to play back the sentry mode videos.

Last edited:
Yeah, there are folks who think like that. And to my point above, they still bought a Tesla. People may whine and complain about stuff they don’t find interesting, but there was enough that intrigued them to still make the purchase. I’m not aware of any other sedan in the world that appeals to such a wide variety of personalities.

I traded a minivan for mine. As you could imagine, and the outlier than the group, but Tesla still got my money.

Absolutely agree! Just because I don’t care about YouTube doesn’t mean I’ll complain and say they shouldn’t offer it. I want them to appeal to a broad range and sell more cars. I want the company to succeed. Catering only to MY personal preferences wouldn’t help them do that. Complaining anytime they ventured outside of that seems kinda dumb. To me.

Just once it would be nice to have a software update thread that isn't littered with posts arguing about games.

Seriously, there are hundreds of posts about it. And I'd be willing to bet that every person that has an anti-game opinion hasn't changed their mind about it, and the same can be said for the pro-game side. Both sides have aired their opinions. No one has changed their minds. Same things are said by both sides over, and over, and freaking over again. Pointless argument is pointless. Time to move on to a fresh argument... this one has been beaten to death so hard it has gotten just silly.

"Don't like them, don't read them." Agreed, I'd do exactly that, but it's hard to wade through all the game crap to find any actual information about the software update itself.

We get it.

You like games.

You don't like games.

Move on.

Just once it would be nice to have a software update thread that isn't littered with posts arguing about games.

Seriously, there are hundreds of posts about it. And I'd be willing to bet that every person that has an anti-game opinion hasn't changed their mind about it, and the same can be said for the pro-game side. Both sides have aired their opinions. No one has changed their minds. Same things are said by both sides over, and over, and freaking over again. Pointless argument is pointless. Time to move on to a fresh argument... this one has been beaten to death so hard it has gotten just silly.

"Don't like them, don't read them." Agreed, I'd do exactly that, but it's hard to wade through all the game crap to find any actual information about the software update itself.

We get it.

You like games.

You don't like games.

Move on.

What's funny about this thread is there aren't any new games on this update (for the US market), and yet people still complained.

Still a pretty limited rollout with this release so far. Without knowing any specific bugs fixed with this version I’m not sitting on pins and needles for the update notification this time.

The Additional Vehicle Info screen should definitely help Tesla with all of the people who have FSD purchased wondering if they need the HW3 retrofits or not. I suspect that’s one of the main reasons that was added.

Would be nice to have the AQI, air quality index. I wonder if the Chinese Teslas have a HEPA filter. I bet Bioweapon defense mode would be popular in the 3, given the air quality and coronavirus problem.

I think the reasons people have for being pro-games or anti-games on the Tesla have nothing to do with how they are as humans.

I'm largely neutral because it really comes down to how Tesla implements the games. They don't spend a lot of internal resources working on the games. They largely just license the game, and then the game manufacture customizes it for Tesla.

It's why the really cool things that COULD be implemented are not. Things like multiplayer racing games to go up against other people at superchargers. Plus the hardware the car has isn't situated for anything other than casual games. Like you can't ever have a really awesome racing game because the tires are mechanically linked to the steering wheel. MCU2 also only has the integrated Intel GPU for graphics processing so you can't expect any snazzy graphics unless they somehow utilized the HW3 computer.

I don't think most of us actually play the games much. But, they serve a bigger purpose. The bigger purpose is about marketing. Tesla's are HUGELY popular among young people, and especially kids. So having games just makes a lot business sense for Tesla to attract customers. They say they have zero marketing cost, but the games serve as marketing. Anytime Tesla introduces a game they also get a lot of media coverage talking about it even if it's entirely silly.

The anti-game people are those that see resources going to pointless things while lots of the SW still lacks basic functionality.

Some easy examples:

Every day I go to work it tells me to go the wrong way during part of my drive. There is no mechanism for me to fix this issue, and I haven't seen any fellow Tesla owner successfully update a directional map. They only seem capable of updating the parking lot maps for smart summon.

I've never managed to get the car to connect to my phones hot spot in any kind of consistent manner. I'd like to be able to get away without paying the $9.99 a month for premium connectivity. All I want is streaming music, and I have plenty of data with my phone plan.

There is no mechanism to play back the sentry mode videos.

Now I don't complain too much about the games because I don't think they take a lot of resources. Plus I think Tesla has plans on monetizing them at some point. Where they have some kind of app store. Maybe they'll have a $20 app that I can buy to play back the sentry mode videos.

I’m told the last update with the new voice commands may have affected it, but Tesla gave you a way to help with that. While the car is showing the incorrect route, hit the voice button, say bug report, then a sentence or two explaining the issue.

The car will take screenshots of all screens and send them and your voice memo and possibly some log data to the software team to fix. (Or it did before the update; I haven’t tried it since.)

I’ve been told that Tesla is using an open map database in the backend, and folks have fixed map issues there and seen them reflected in the car. I’ll have to see if I can find one of the threads talking about that to add details here.

I’ve been told that Tesla is using an open map database in the backend, and folks have fixed map issues there and seen them reflected in the car. I’ll have to see if I can find one of the threads talking about that to add details here.

Updating open maps is how I fixed the map issue preventing smart summon from working where I was testing it.

For the directions I don't know of any thread where someone posted how to fix the directions the car gives. Where the flaw isn't a map database issue, but the routing not being optimal.

Technically the directions are accurate in that you can get to your destination going the way it says, but no one goes that way because it forces you to do a uncontrolled left turn across 4 lanes of traffic.

I haven't submitted a bug for it because technically it's not really a bug. Plus it's not my preferred method of submitting a request to Tesla. I prefer to go through email.

I don't have much hope for it because Elon clearly stated he had no interest in improving the navigation for people. Basically he's "Yes to Witcher", but no to alternative routes.

• Informative
Reactions: Phlier
I’m told the last update with the new voice commands may have affected it, but Tesla gave you a way to help with that. While the car is showing the incorrect route, hit the voice button, say bug report, then a sentence or two explaining the issue.

The car will take screenshots of all screens and send them and your voice memo and possibly some log data to the software team to fix. (Or it did before the update; I haven’t tried it since.)

Everything I've seen says bug reports don't go to tesla.

They sit on your car, and Tesla CAN access them remotely if you open a service request for a related issue.

It's basically just sitting there as a bookmark to help the tech if your individual car needs work... it doesn't report back to Tesla and Tesla certainly doesn't have actual people going through bug reports from a fleet over 500,000 cars now.

Would be nice to have the AQI, air quality index. I wonder if the Chinese Teslas have a HEPA filter. I bet Bioweapon defense mode would be popular in the 3, given the air quality and coronavirus problem.

Elon has previously said that there's not enough space to fit the same filters that are in the S/X in the Model 3 but also said that the Model 3 has the 2nd best filters in a car.

Coronavirus is not airborne but is spread by respiratory droplets like other respiratory viruses. Someone outside the car would have to sneeze directly into the filter intake to get it inside the car and basically any filter would stop that. For inside the car the cabin filter won't make a difference because the droplets would head straight from one person sneezing/coughing to someone else within ~6 feet or alternatively end up on a surface that someone then touches and touches a mucous membrane.

Elon has previously said that there's not enough space to fit the same filters that are in the S/X in the Model 3 but also said that the Model 3 has the 2nd best filters in a car.

Coronavirus is not airborne but is spread by respiratory droplets like other respiratory viruses. Someone outside the car would have to sneeze directly into the filter intake to get it inside the car and basically any filter would stop that. For inside the car the cabin filter won't make a difference because the droplets would head straight from one person sneezing/coughing to someone else within ~6 feet or alternatively end up on a surface that someone then touches and touches a mucous membrane.
Unless it IS (or becomes) airborne. They ‘presume’ it isn’t for now.

3FCC49BD-1F74-44C0-B1E9-497C82360637.gif

• Disagree
Reactions: jfinephilly
Unless it IS (or becomes) airborne. They ‘presume’ it isn’t for now.

View attachment 504558

Can't speak to what it would do in the future but it seems highly unlikely that it is currently airborne based on the infection rates. When you look at diseases that spread by airborne transmission like measles there is a significant difference in infection rates than with a droplet transmitted disease like influenza. There's also some sketchy terminology being kicked around which confuses the issues - droplets become airborne when you sneeze but that doesn't make it always an airborne transmitted organism. It's all about the size of the droplets and some other factors.

Regardless, it doesn't change the other comments: the probability of even an airborne transmitted virus being brought in from the outside of the car through the HVAC system (regardless of the filter system) and given to someone is very low. The true risk is from someone in the vehicle sneezing on you.

• Informative
Reactions: jfinephilly
Can't speak to what it would do in the future but it seems highly unlikely that it is currently airborne based on the infection rates. When you look at diseases that spread by airborne transmission like measles there is a significant difference in infection rates than with a droplet transmitted disease like influenza. There's also some sketchy terminology being kicked around which confuses the issues - droplets become airborne when you sneeze but that doesn't make it always an airborne transmitted organism. It's all about the size of the droplets and some other factors.

Regardless, it doesn't change the other comments: the probability of even an airborne transmitted virus being brought in from the outside of the car through the HVAC system (regardless of the filter system) and given to someone is very low. The true risk is from someone in the vehicle sneezing on you.
All good points. Couldn’t help but post the Outbreak gif. Surely we all remember the movie theater scene when someone is coughing. “It’s gone airborne”. Not poking fun, certainly a serious situation and hope it doesn’t get worse.

Reactions: clostridium
Disagree somewhat. The anti game people are an uptight breed of conservative that complain about any initiative that deviates from basic functional necessity.
‘Why are we sending foreign aid when we have problems here in our country?’ This is the same mentality. Unless every conceivable necessity is being served at no cost or deficit, then and only then is there time and resources for fun. It’s the same guy, just this time it’s about how Tesla must address and be perfect in all other ways before having any fun. Hanging with that guy having a beer? No thanks.
P.S. they don’t like the whoopie cushion feature either.

I was with you until you somehow turned a discussion about video games into a political rant.

Everything I've seen says bug reports don't go to tesla.

They sit on your car, and Tesla CAN access them remotely if you open a service request for a related issue.

It's basically just sitting there as a bookmark to help the tech if your individual car needs work... it doesn't report back to Tesla and Tesla certainly doesn't have actual people going through bug reports from a fleet over 500,000 cars now.

I don't have any personal information on the subject one way or another - I've left a few, and never been contacted about them, but I wasn't really expecting to be contacted.

Your description is distinctly different from the description we were given a couple years ago. Where did you develop this understanding?