Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2020 Shipping Movements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
does this mean you have to work extra hard on shipping schedules now @Mr Miserable ? And do we have any estimates for “standard” journey schedules from a completely different part of the world ?
I haven't quite got my head round all the issues yet, but yes it's going to be much harder.
I'm estimating about a 45 day journey from Shanghai to Zeebrugge which will mean any ships will most likely have to depart in October and certainly by the 1st week of November to ensure deliveries by the end of the quarter.
Not content with the hurricanes of Q3, I will have to monitor Typhoons now as well...

• Informative
Reactions: XHabjab and ABCTG
I haven't quite got my head round all the issues yet, but yes it's going to be much harder.
I'm estimating about a 45 day journey from Shanghai to Zeebrugge which will mean any ships will most likely have to depart in October and certainly by the 1st week of November to ensure deliveries by the end of the quarter.
Not content with the hurricanes of Q3, I will have to monitor Typhoons now as well...
Same. Am trying to get my head around sourcing container data out of China for Model 3 to AuNZ - and if it even exists.

Would it make senc if they used a port in the med, rather then Zeebrugge?
That would be a mistake.
Zeebrugge is insanely efficient, which is why it is the no 1 vehicle port in the world.
Chinese money is being thrown into Athens but they are having to upgrade the Balkan railways too.
It will be a slow process but even then it will just be for containers, not vehicles.

I’ve just had this from the broker “...we are waiting on an update from Tesla to give us indication of when your vehicle will be due for delivery, they are coming through the next batch is due in November.” This is for a LR. Hopefully should know a little more very soon.

More likely know very little for a while.

Tesla aren't great at keeping you informed.

Sounds like I'm in a similar position. Both about being a long-time lurker and getting a LR delivery in November!

Official date lease company told me was before 18th November. Phoned Tesla and they said it will be on a boat in October and I should get it around end of October / beginning of November.

Based on MrM's post before I've been tracking the RCC ANTWERP but perhaps there may be another boat before that?

Sounds like I'm in a similar position. Both about being a long-time lurker and getting a LR delivery in November!

Official date lease company told me was before 18th November. Phoned Tesla and they said it will be on a boat in October and I should get it around end of October / beginning of November.

Based on MrM's post before I've been tracking the RCC ANTWERP but perhaps there may be another boat before that?
RCC ANTWERP is the only ship on the horizon at the moment.
I'll be taking another look at the weekend to see what we can find.

Suddenly, without warning, nothing happened.
I have been keeping an eye on Shanghai but sadly both the GLOVIS SUPERIOR and MORNING LYNN have departed to Korea - I will of course continue to monitor the port.
Nothing new to report for Pier 80 either although tonight I shall start a trawl to see if I can identify some more Tesla ships for Q4.
I have also been keeping a watch on Newark too but having nothing to report.
It's very dull on the shipping front at the moment....
Zzzzz....

• Informative
Reactions: ABCTG and Arran
I understand they were shutting down the Shanghai plant for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the quarter. That makes sense if they were having to retool to make cars for the EU. So, if they start up again mid October and have the capacity for 3,000 cars a week, they could probably make 12,000 cars for the EU in time to get them on boats for Europe.

Would you please go into a little more detail for the shipping time from Shanghai? It's only about an extra 4,000 miles (many choke points I guess) so it doesn't seem like it should take more than twice as long - I'm not doubting you since you've probably forgotten more about shipping than I'll ever know. I'm just curious why.

I understand they were shutting down the Shanghai plant for a couple of weeks at the beginning of the quarter. That makes sense if they were having to retool to make cars for the EU. So, if they start up again mid October and have the capacity for 3,000 cars a week, they could probably make 12,000 cars for the EU in time to get them on boats for Europe.

Would you please go into a little more detail for the shipping time from Shanghai? It's only about an extra 4,000 miles (many choke points I guess) so it doesn't seem like it should take more than twice as long - I'm not doubting you since you've probably forgotten more about shipping than I'll ever know. I'm just curious why.

Wow. Thanks for posting your question and when I look back at what I wrote I can see why you question it!! :oops:
The route from Shanghai to Zeebrugge should take about 29 days via Suez.
Sorry for the misinformation. I have locked the bottle away....

A number of ships have caught my eye during my Friday night trawl for possible Q4 Tesla ships.
They are ASIAN GLORY, TRITON ACE, GLOVIS SAFETY, GRAND DOLPHIN, CRYSTAL RAY, GLOVIS CROWN and SILVER RAY.
There are of course others but these are my prime suspects.
A couple of them could depart from Shanghai.