Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2022.8.10.1 on MCU1

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Actually, they ended up doing it as goodwill since at the time they did not think they had solved anything, and since I am on the schedule for the MCU2 upgrade. I thought about canceling that, but I had planned to do the upgrade anyway and hopefully this means I won't be in the same spot next time an update pushes.

So it only cost me a good portion of the day waiting and going back and forth.

Great to hear something positive out of the service center.

Reactions: ayavner
Actually, they ended up doing it as goodwill since at the time they did not think they had solved anything, and since I am on the schedule for the MCU2 upgrade. I thought about canceling that, but I had planned to do the upgrade anyway and hopefully this means I won't be in the same spot next time an update pushes.

So it only cost me a good portion of the day waiting and going back and forth.
Did the 2022 maps finish downloading as well?

Success!
yesterday, I removed the 10 year old microSD card (a 16 GB consumer SanDisk) and used ddrescue to clone it to a new card (32 GB SanDisk Endurance from BestBuy for $10 shipped, but the particulars don't matter that much since it will not use more than 16 GB). There were 8192KB bad sectors on the old card, and the clone took over three hours.
I put the new card in, and powered the system back up. At this point it claimed that the 2020 nav was up to date.
I rebooted one more time and let it sit for a little, when it started downloading the 2022 data. This morning it's complete and happy running 2022.

Getting to the card in the first place is annoying. Even though I did not fully remove the MCU, it's still more complicated than it ought to be.

In hindsight, getting the replacement card from Tesla would have been easier.

IMG_5411.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 6.43.27 AM.png

IMG_5409.jpeg
IMG_5410.jpeg

Success!
yesterday, I removed the 10 year old microSD card (a 16 GB consumer SanDisk) and used ddrescue to clone it to a new card (32 GB SanDisk Endurance from BestBuy for $10 shipped, but the particulars don't matter that much since it will not use more than 16 GB). There were 8192KB bad sectors on the old card, and the clone took over three hours.
I put the new card in, and powered the system back up. At this point it claimed that the 2020 nav was up to date.
I rebooted one more time and let it sit for a little, when it started downloading the 2022 data. This morning it's complete and happy running 2022.

Getting to the card in the first place is annoying. Even though I did not fully remove the MCU, it's still more complicated than it ought to be.

In hindsight, getting the replacement card from Tesla would have been easier.
True hero's don't wear capes!

Reactions: ayavner and rotx
To answer some of my own questions in case it matters to anyone else re my posts #93 and #166 on this thread:

As others have mentioned, all media now display with a very narrow progress bar (1 pixel?) with no elapsed or remaining times displayed. As also mentioned, when fully minimized to the bottom this actually blends into the border because they're both black. On the Model 3 there is a tiny space (also 1 pixel?) separating the two making it (somewhat) visible. In night mode the colors are better differentiated. My biggest problem is not knowing where one is in the track, especially when moving from car to another platform. It is possible to grab the progress bar to see the current elapsed time, but (1) this is actually difficult with its being so narrow, and (2) doing so invariably moves it to some extent. I've found the missing times to be more of a disadvantage than I thought it would be -- having to guess the remaining time makes it harder to adjust the TuneIn speedup factor to fit the program into my travel time.

No, this iteration did not add the second mph offset I asked about in those posts.

So while one could debate if this visual UI is better or worse than v10, it definitely LOSES capability and AFAIK adds nothing new.

I now have found a NEW problem: regarding FM stations, in previous versions for those that offer more than one channel, a separate selector icon (too late to get a picture now) appeared for each available channel; one could tap to choose which subchannel to tune to. The v11 radio implementation doesn't show these choices! It turns out that in an earlier version I had set such a subchannel as a Favorite; which is still there, and when I choose IT the radio successfully tunes and plays it. But there is no way to get there now unless it had previously been saved. I looked at this on the Model 3: it now works differently there; there are no subchannel icons that pop up; instead, there is a third column labeled "Stations"; and that list displays the available stations along with their subchannels (separately). Which can be selected. (I don't know if this station collection was determined by the radio sometime scanning the airwaves or downloading an area database.) But there is no Station column on the Model S/MCU1! So there is no way to get to subchannels not previously saved now. See my pictures.
Tuner-v11-ModelS.jpgTuner-v11-Model3.jpg
My Model S now shows Navigation data NA-2022.28-14046, several of you have been asking about that. Strange, the Model 3 is still on NA-2021.4413555. I guess they just stage rollouts over time.

FYI I did NOT download this v11 software because of the media display deficiencies. However, my windshield got damaged so I had Tesla replace it. I put into the app's service notes specifically NOT TO INSTALL IT!!! I also placed a sticky note saying the same thing on the flatscreen when I dropped it off. Well, you know what happened. When I came to pick up the car v11 had been installed. I raised a stink about it (though I know that once it has been installed NO ONE ON EARTH can go back a version). I was told that no person actively did it, it was done via "The Cloud." After the windshield is replaced, the front camera has to be calibrated. In order to accomplish that, their system automatically installs software updates prior to calibration. As an engineer and plainly just a living being I know that this certainly is not required (or else none of the vehicles pre-v11 could have been calibrated), but I do believe them that this was inadvertent. So I'm stuck with v11 now. BTW, even if I had had the windshield replaced somewhere else, I would still have to have taken it to Tesla to calibrate the camera -- so that wouldn't have helped.

<rant>Just to complete this story, my dash showed the message "safety features not available - may be restored on the next drive." I knew from experience that this probably would not clear itself, so I had to forcefully get them to address it. Apparently newer Teslas (and certainly the 3's and Y's) do automatically re-adjust as they're driven. The service staff are so used to dealing mostly with those models that they "forgot" that for my older S it had to be adjusted by them. Which they did while I waited (about an hour or so). My gripe is that all of the car's details are right there on their service screen (or ought to be) and they need to either go through a manual checklist or have an automated one prepared. It's just sloppy. They also should have warned me that the v11 software was going to be installed whether I liked it or not. </rant>

Last edited:
To answer some of my own questions in case it matters to anyone else re my posts #93 and #166 on this thread:

As others have mentioned, all media now display with a very narrow progress bar (1 pixel?) with no elapsed or remaining times displayed. As also mentioned, when fully minimized to the bottom this actually blends into the border because they're both black. On the Model 3 there is a tiny space (also 1 pixel?) separating the two making it (somewhat) visible. In night mode the colors are better differentiated. My biggest problem is not knowing where one is in the track, especially when moving from car to another platform. It is possible to grab the progress bar to see the current elapsed time, but (1) this is actually difficult with its being so narrow, and (2) doing so invariably moves it to some extent. I've found the missing times to be more of a disadvantage than I thought it would be -- having to guess the remaining time makes it harder to adjust the TuneIn speedup factor to fit the program into my travel time.

No, this iteration did not add the second mph offset I asked about in those posts.

So while one could debate if this visual UI is better or worse than v10, it definitely LOSES capability and AFAIK adds nothing new.

I now have found a NEW problem: regarding FM stations, in previous versions for those that offer more than one channel, a separate selector icon (too late to get a picture now) appeared for each available channel; one could tap to choose which subchannel to tune to. The v11 radio implementation doesn't show these choices! It turns out that in an earlier version I had set such a subchannel as a Favorite; which is still there, and when I choose IT the radio successfully tunes and plays it. But there is no way to get there now unless it had previously been saved. I looked at this on the Model 3: it now works differently there; there are no subchannel icons that pop up; instead, there is a third column labeled "Stations"; and that list displays the available stations along with their subchannels (separately). Which can be selected. (I don't know if this station collection was determined by the radio sometime scanning the airwaves or downloading an area database.) But there is no Station column on the Model S/MCU1! So there is no way to get to subchannels not previously saved now. See my pictures.
View attachment 845095View attachment 845094
My Model S now shows Navigation data NA-2022.28-14046, several of you have been asking about that. Strange, the Model 3 is still on NA-2021.4413555. I guess they just stage rollouts over time.

FYI I did NOT download this v11 software because of the media display deficiencies. However, my windshield got damaged so I had Tesla replace it. I put into the app's service notes specifically NOT TO INSTALL IT!!! I also placed a sticky note saying the same thing on the flatscreen when I dropped it off. Well, you know what happened. When I came to pick up the car v11 had been installed. I raised a stink about it (though I know that once it has been installed NO ONE ON EARTH can go back a version). I was told that no person actively did it, it was done via "The Cloud." After the windshield is replaced, the front camera has to be calibrated. In order to accomplish that, their system automatically installs software updates prior to calibration. As an engineer and plainly just a living being I know that this certainly is not required (or else none of the vehicles pre-v11 could have been calibrated), but I do believe them that this was inadvertent. So I'm stuck with v11 now. BTW, even if I had had the windshield replaced somewhere else, I would still have to have taken it to Tesla to calibrate the camera -- so that wouldn't have helped.

<rant>Just to complete this story, my dash showed the message "safety features not available - may be restored on the next drive." I knew from experience that this probably would not clear itself, so I had to forcefully get them to address it. Apparently newer Teslas (and certainly the 3's and Y's) do automatically re-adjust as they're driven. The service staff are so used to dealing mostly with those models that they "forgot" that for my older S it had to be adjusted by them. Which they did while I waited (about an hour or so). My gripe is that all of the car's details are right there on their service screen (or ought to be) and they need to either go through a manual checklist or have an automated one prepared. It's just sloppy. They also should have warned me that the v11 software was going to be installed whether I liked it or not. </rant>
Progress bar and time stamps are shown in the media viewer on the left screen. FWIW

After being stuck on 2021.24.28 for a year, I was promoted to install 2022.8.10.5 tonight so it’s doing that now. I’ve an MX with MCUv1 & APv2.5 and the replaced eMMC chip but I’m based in the EU so presumably this is why I didn’t get the recent upgrades that you folks got?

After being stuck on 2021.24.28 for a year, I was promoted to install 2022.8.10.5 tonight so it’s doing that now. I’ve an MX with MCUv1 & APv2.5 and the replaced eMMC chip but I’m based in the EU so presumably this is why I didn’t get the recent upgrades that you folks got?
Also got 2022.8.10.5, had 2022.8.10.1 downloaded but never installed. Still running v10.
2017 MS MCU1 FSD computer original eMMC Canada

Have been on 2022.8.10.1 for a month. Also prompted to download 2022.9.10.5

Last edited:
Just got 2022.8.10.5 today here in Norway, and a map update. TMX 2017 MCU1.

No problems, but the map is as bad as before regarding correct speed limits, which makes using advanced autopilot very difficult.
I do not know if there is a coincidence or not but my satellite map changed to a wintery view - a bit depressing since it is about 45 days left until the first snow is expected. Anybody know if this changes from summer to winter on a date, or if it just is the new map in the update that is made in the winter?

Does anyone else have a problem with the car always losing the source selected overnight, when it's the USB? That used to happen very occasionally, but now it's as constant as the sun rising. I have to select the USB every morning when I get in the car, and it's lost the place it was at when I got out of the car the day before of course.

2021.24.28 -> 2022.8.10.5 is rolling out in Europe, and also in the US 2022.8.10.1 -> 2022.8.10.5 seems to be rolling out. According to TeslaFi firmware page, 2022.8.10.1 has been offered to MCU1/AP1 combo, but there's not a single report of 2022.8.10.5 on MCU1/AP1 or MCU1/pre-AP combo?