Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got it and am 60% through downloading it now. I will test it in the morning. My car is connected to my home mesh wifi system with 1 Gbps shared among many IOTs, TVs and phones.
A few observations:Wigglely lines are what you get.Straight or curved would be better.
Measurements:Are conservative. Probably a 6 to 12" cushion.Need side measurements also.
Audio Warnings:Get your attention, don't seem progressive, only on/off.Progressively louder and faster would be better.
Colors:Yellow Somewhat Close w/in 2 feet, Red w/in 1 footSeem ok for now.

AEB didn't stop the car from touching the box in my garage because I was under 3 mph
I have the box there as a guard rail to stop me from hitting the back wall of my garage
Ideally the vision system will provide similar distance displays and chimes that the ultrasonic sensors would measure, not auto braking.

That's a tall order. Tesla doesn't have binocular vision. Perhaps it uses the changing image from the car approaching an object.

It's especially challenging for it to estimate distance to objects that are hidden from the current front cameras by the hood line. Tesla is partially working around that by remembering what the cameras last saw.

Scenario: Parallel park. Then while the Tesla sleeps, two cars park very close ahead and behind. Both cars are just static images when Tesla wakes. The car in front has a bumper below Tesla's vision line.

How well can Vision Park Assist help you get out of that tight parking spot?

Reactions: glovelace
Ideally the vision system will provide similar distance displays and chimes that the ultrasonic sensors would measure, not auto braking.

That's a tall order. Tesla doesn't have binocular vision. Perhaps it uses the changing image from the car approaching an object.

It's especially challenging for it to estimate distance to objects that are hidden from the current front cameras by the hood line. Tesla is partially working around that by remembering what the cameras last saw.

Scenario: Parallel park. Then while the Tesla sleeps, two cars park very close ahead and behind. Both cars are just static images when Tesla wakes. The car in front has a bumper below Tesla's vision line.

How well can Vision Park Assist help you get out of that tight parking spot?

In my opinion VS is better than USS, when compared to my BMW with USS versus MY with VS
Display and chimes\beeps
VS is 360 degrees (simulated\approx)
USS doesn't include the sides of the vehicle

Given that you have a 2020 M3 with USS and I assume like it, then for you it's all good since Tesla is not going to remove USS functionality

1680134731468.png

Given that you have a 2020 M3 with USS and I assume like it, then for you it's all good since Tesla is not going to remove USS functionality
Hopefully they stick with that decision! They did remove radar functionality. (Radar is great to have when fog rolls in.)

In any case, it's interesting to follow Tesla's change. Were it my call, I'd get it working at production quality before removing the USS from the production line.

Doesn't the 3 front facing cameras count as triocular vision?
I was thinking about this after the previous post. Assuming Vision Park Assist uses the wide-angle camera, the main camera might work with it for binocular vision within its narrower angle of view. Complicating factors include lower resolution after upscaling to match the wide angle view and alignment with the fisheye lens warp.

Do you think there's been a problem in the rollout for this version? Seems to have been coming out very slowly for a release that doesn't really change anything other than add in a 'brand new' feature (by which I mean there's not much scope for regression).

View attachment 921803View attachment 921804

"Not much scope for regression"??
This release completely replaces a 360-degree hardware sensor system with a persistence-based obstacle-recognizing software vision implementation.
A slow fleet rollout is absolutely appropriate for a change of this magnitude.

"Not much scope for regression"??
This release completely replaces a 360-degree hardware sensor system with a persistence-based obstacle-recognizing software vision implementation.
A slow fleet rollout is absolutely appropriate for a change of this magnitude.
?? No it doesn’t, it’s not replacing anything.

The new functionality only affects non-USS vehicles that currently have no park assist functionality at all.

The new functionality only affects non-USS vehicles that currently have no park assist functionality at all.
Absolutely nothing in their statements about this promises to keep USS working, just that they "have no current plans" to deactivate them. Once vision is 'good enough' they absolutely will switch all cars over so they don't have to bother supporting USS in software. And 'good enough' means 'good enough' for Tesla, not good enough for owners. Also, they have to be loyal to the 'Tesla Vision' to keep their jobs, regardless of owner protests.

I wonder if this release is prioritizing non USS cars in ownership order? In other words, those of us without any park assist the longest? Most installers seem to have Jan sign up dates. Of course with Tesla YMMV. My experience is limited to the US market. I'm not sure about our non US brother and sister owners.

Absolutely nothing in their statements about this promises to keep USS working, just that they "have no current plans" to deactivate them. Once vision is 'good enough' they absolutely will switch all cars over so they don't have to bother supporting USS in software. And 'good enough' means 'good enough' for Tesla, not good enough for owners. Also, they have to be loyal to the 'Tesla Vision' to keep their jobs, regardless of owner protests.
That’s a lovely rant but what does it have to do with 2023.6.9? This release does not affect any functionality that currently exists, hence it has very little scope to introduce regression, as I said.

• Funny
Reactions: chobra

Code forks are not free. They have two parallel systems that do similar things, but which share resources and outputs. Both have graphical display overlays, both have audio alerts, and both are high-priority time-sensitive processing that are intertwined with the existing video feeds and processing done by those systems. They absolutely are not isolate new features with no other systems impacts.

This discussion should be coming to an end. We know that ultrasonic sensors have been removed for good and now been replaced by camera-based distance measurement.

It has already been rolled out in a first version. We know what to expect. It will probably get a bit better over time, and we will observe that progress, which is the only remaining point to discuss, perhaps with hints on how to make the best use of the new feature.

In my opinion VS is better than USS, when compared to my BMW with USS versus MY with VS
Display and chimes\beeps
VS is 360 degrees (simulated\approx)
USS doesn't include the sides of the vehicle

View attachment 922844

I think the words 'At this time ...' are doing a lot of heavy lifting.

How do these software updates work? I'd like to get Park Assist on my Model X, just bought it last week. It says I'm on the latest, which is 2023.2.301. Sounds like this is only going out to M3/MY, is that typical?

Wondering if I made a huge mistake buying a MX without USS...

Reactions: glovelace