Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It will fail almost, if not, completely in the rain - the rear camera is a blurry mess on rainy days, requiring you to frequently clear the lens if you want to see properly. Even when it's not raining, if it has rained recently the dirt kicked up by the wet roads quickly obscures the rear camera lens.

the reversing light on tesla's is hardly what i would call a floodlight and again without clear vision reverse parking with sensors is going to be an epic fail.
Great points, couldn't agree more!

Reactions: pilotSteve
(Tesla activated the brakes automatically.)
Is it true? I would love to hear that Tesla now has this feature as of my previous Lexus. Where can I get more info on this? What is your current software version? I texted back and forth with Tesla about this feature and they said NO about a month ago
I have version 2022.44.25.3 on my Model Y RWD.

As said, while I was going backwards a car arrived from my left side (I could not see it, due to an high wall on my left side and Tesla activated brakes in a "hard" way, suddenly.

Anyone who is thinking Vision is going to do as good as or a better job than the USS - is going to be hugely disappointed.

Basically everyone with a 2023+ model needs to prepare themselves for functions like park assist to, at best, only work properly during daytime and on dry days.

It will fail almost, if not, completely in the rain - the rear camera is a blurry mess on rainy days, requiring you to frequently clear the lens if you want to see properly. Even when it's not raining, if it has rained recently the dirt kicked up by the wet roads quickly obscures the rear camera lens. There is no way any level of AI software is going to be able to figure out how close you are to something if it can't see properly. I expect frequent 'Rear camera is blocked, park assist functions limited' messages to be popping up.

In addition to this, the park assist will be limited at night in low lit area's - the reversing light on tesla's is hardly what i would call a floodlight and again without clear vision reverse parking with sensors is going to be an epic fail.

All this wouldn't be such a problem if you could just use your eyes and rear view mirror or look out the back, but oh yeah i forgot - rear visibility in a model 3 is very poor and in a model Y it's pretty much non-existent as all you see is the central crossbeam. Not to mention no rear wipers so in the rain rear visibility goes from 30% (model 3) to 0%.

With it's very poor rear visibility, If any car ever needed parking sensors, it was a Tesla - especially with tight parking spaces in countries like the UK. Removing USS was one of the dumbest thing's Tesla have ever done - one which i am confident they will regret in time.

Unfortunately for me (buyer of a new MY RWD without USS), I think you're right ...
I have a colleague with the same car, with USS and I'm quite nervous about that ... my test drive was with USS and that was a little different.

Reactions: blower
I have version 2022.44.25.3 on my Model Y RWD.

As said, while I was going backwards a car arrived from my left side (I could not see it, due to an high wall on my left side and Tesla activated brakes in a "hard" way, suddenly.
Thanks I have the same version of software
I am glad that it's working for U and I am hoping that it's working for all with same software version. My previous 2017 RX Lexus won't allow me to back out (almost like it deactivated my gas pedal)
Maybe safety features of Tesla Vision are better now as it tries to catch up with USS ???
What would a car with USS do in that situation. Please share your personal experiences
Enjoy yours

Thanks I have the same version of software
I am glad that it's working for U and I am hoping that it's working for all with same software version. My previous 2017 RX Lexus won't allow me to back out (almost like it deactivated my gas pedal)
Maybe safety features of Tesla Vision are better now as it tries to catch up with USS ???
What would a car with USS do in that situation. Please share your personal experiences
Enjoy yours
Before my Model Y I had a Volvo V60 Twin Engine and the same functionality was not applying any brake at all ! It just sounded with the usual continous "beeeeeeep" warning you, but not doing anything else.
So, basically, Tesla is a step ahead under this specific aspect and functionality, despite no USS.

Any chance you didn't have your seat belt on and that you may have lifted off the seat a little while looking backward? (Because that would trigger the car to shift into park automatically.)

Not to downplay the issue, but, I've been parking cars for decades and never felt like my life was a black hole of despair without artificial parking sensors of all different sorts. I just picked up my 2023 M3.....if I hadn't noticed this thread of despair, I would not have(and still don't) thought that I'm missing out one some sort of mandatory feature that makes the car impossible to drive without, or that my life is somehow terribly tragic due to not having some sort of parking assist warning system. I drive and park quite well and don't feel like I'm missing anything. Sorry, but I think the issue is being blown out of proportion. Just my 2 cents.

Don't get me wrong, modern technology in cars is great and immensely helpful but, can't we just learn to park?

Not to downplay the issue, but, I've been parking cars for decades and never felt like my life was a black hole of despair without artificial parking sensors of all different sorts. I just picked up my 2023 M3.....if I hadn't noticed this thread of despair, I would not have(and still don't) thought that I'm missing out one some sort of mandatory feature that makes the car impossible to drive without, or that my life is somehow terribly tragic due to not having some sort of parking assist warning system. I drive and park quite well and don't feel like I'm missing anything. Sorry, but I think the issue is being blown out of proportion. Just my 2 cents.

Don't get me wrong, modern technology in cars is great and immensely helpful but, can't we just learn to park?
i've been driving cars without auto lights / backup camera / and blind spot monitor either for decades... doesn't mean they are not needed.

fact is - Tesla removed a key parking feature from vehicles costing $60k+ easily and then reverted to "software will fix this.... in 2 weeks"....

good luck ...

Agreed. It's literally just parking assist. It's not like they removed cross traffic detection, etc. We had front parking assist on our 2015 Yukon then did not have it on our 2020 Subaru Ascent. The universe did not explode when we changed vehicles and the space time continuum was preserved.

What’s the msrp of a Yukon vs a Subaru ? Slight price difference ?
The point was not the difference in cost, but the lack of sensors did not cause carnage found in the Carmageddon game.

1673406371904.png

But since you asked, 2015 Yukon was (is) worth less than the 2020 Ascent. We paid (and sold) the Yukon in the 30s. Ascent was bought in low 40s and sold in high 30s. Top trim Ascent had the front sensors. All of them had the rear, and the Ascent had far better cross-traffic protection.

Don't get me wrong, modern technology in cars is great and immensely helpful but, can't we just learn to
Most aren’t complaining they can’t park without. It’s that Tesla did the dirty and pull something they were told was included on an expanded car after waiting months for their car and either have to take the car as is or go to the back of long queues for something else. Then told it would come at some point but no timeline as to when. they said a short time but it’s already been 1 qtr so that to me is already a lie.

Don't worry the code will be finished by the end of the year. Just being polished. It will be mind blowing
Lol. “Mind blowing”.. we are nearly 2 weeks into 2023 and the software for non-USS cars still isn’t available. I have a 2021 MY (obviously with USS) my neighbor just got a 2023 MY (took delivery on 12/29) without USS. He is pissed! Lol

Same here ... just had a chat with a Tesla employee on the phone ...
Asked him what to do to retrofit USS even paying, he said "don't do that, by end of Q1 2023 you'll have the parking functionalities back with Tesla Vision".

Not that I don't trust him ... but I personally don't see the technical feasibility of the full functionality for the front side, where there's the blind spot.

I don't need the parking help features ... had the autopark on my previous car ... never used in 7 years (even forgot I had it), but I liked the distance being displayed in my test drive (with USS...) before buying as a tech-addicted-nerd :-D

Same here ... just had a chat with a Tesla employee on the phone ...
Asked him what to do to retrofit USS even paying, he said "don't do that, by end of Q1 2023 you'll have the parking functionalities back with Tesla Vision".

Not that I don't trust him ... but I personally don't see the technical feasibility of the full functionality for the front side, where there's the blind spot.

I don't need the parking help features ... had the autopark on my previous car ... never used in 7 years (even forgot I had it), but I liked the distance being displayed in my test drive (with USS...) before buying as a tech-addicted-nerd :-D
If it even hits q1 that means some people could be 6 months without the functionality

No one at Tesla knows the timeline except those working on it at hq. People on these forums tend to know more than most employees.

I

If it even hits q1 that means some people could be 6 months without the functionality
Yup, and that is a long time if you ask me (not "soon" as Tesla says in their statements). I took delivery in December of my 2023 Model Y without USS and am awaiting the vision update but with little hope.

The one thing giving me some hope is that, the longer Tesla stalls delivering on this, the more Tesla's are delivered without USS and the larger the pool of pissed off buyers becomes. At the rate Tesla is ramping production, the % of Tesla owners without parking functionality grows by a lot.

If for every 100 owners without USS there are say 25 pissed off owners, this means the pushback Tesla gets grows rapidly.

Therefore, I am quite sure this is high on the list of Autopilot/AI priorities. #wecanonlyhopeso

Reactions: pilotSteve
Agreed. It's literally just parking assist. It's not like they removed cross traffic detection, etc. We had front parking assist on our 2015 Yukon then did not have it on our 2020 Subaru Ascent. The universe did not explode when we changed vehicles and the space time continuum was preserved.
Now imagine paying for features that depend on USS, but those features are unavailable until some undetermined time in the future. Even if you don’t care about parking assist, what if you care about Summon and paid extra for Summon?

Then again there are people who paid for FSD on their 2016/2017 vehicles and then moved on to another car years later having never gotten a single feature of FSD while they owned the car.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3