Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

2023 Model 3 without USS and proximity functionality [park assist / summon not available]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unofficial (but usually accurate) Release notes for 2023.6.9:

Unofficial (but usually accurate) Release notes for 2023.6.9:
I got this update today on my 2023 M3P.

Finally, last night's software update (2023.6.9 "Tesla Vision Park Assist") now uses the cameras to set boundaries when I front-in park in my condo parking space. If anything, it gives me a warning very early (audible and yellow/red line) that I'm about to hit the bush in front of my space :) It also tells me how many inches to the object (well, sort of).

First test in garage. Front seems to be fairly accurate. Back says I'm 28" away but in actuality I'm 8" away from back of garage door. Not a great first impression.
Detecting how far the garage door is via a camera seems challenging. I suspect the vehicle has an easier time figuring out distance when it's moving and can remember the distance once the car is stopped. It can't do this then you pull the car in, stop, then lower the garage door. The garage door is usually a fairly uniform color which might make it harder for their distance logic to work. I imagine a solid wall of white that magically appears while the car is parked might be one of the hardest edge cases to work out. My bet is this will improve over time as they fuse data from multiple cameras to determine garage door distance from he back.

My biggest problem is that there are no warning tones when going close to the side of the garage door.

20230324_080306.jpg

It displays it, but no tone.

It does beep if it gets close to a curb on the side, so maybe I can make a fake curb with a cardboard box and put it there ...

Correct, they go out over time even for cars with the same exact configuration. It's a common practice anytime software updates are released, for phones, computers etc.
Probably worth explaining why- rollouts are staged so that you have time to check on devices 'in the wild' to see if they're exhibiting any unexpected behavior related to the new software you pushed out. As confidence increases, the % of devices included in each subsequent rollout increases as well. That way if you have a really bad release that might affect safety or reliability, you have a better chance of catching it before everyone has it.

My biggest problem is that there are no warning tones when going close to the side of the garage door.

View attachment 921210
It displays it, but no tone.

It does beep if it gets close to a curb on the side, so maybe I can make a fake curb with a cardboard box and put it there ...
Not sure why you want it to have a tone for the sides, it's not like you're going to hit it while moving back and forth? Does it make a sound if you turn your wheel completely left or right and potentially could hit the sides of your car? If it doesn't make a sound then you'd have a point.

As with all other Tesla features in development, the answer will always be: “soon.” In reality, this means whenever Tesla decides to deliver it, or never. Lots of examples of this. Don’t fret, assume it won’t happen, enjoy the vehicle. If it makes you feel better, tweet Elon now and then. I regret the snarkiness, but this is Tesla’s proven approach to things.
My M3 updated with Parking Assist TODAY!!! I've very pleasantly surprised!!!

Not sure why you want it to have a tone for the sides, it's not like you're going to hit it while moving back and forth? Does it make a sound if you turn your wheel completely left or right and potentially could hit the sides of your car? If it doesn't make a sound then you'd have a point.
I understand your point, but it's a tight fit, and with Nick, the tones tell me that I'm okay. It bings about zero to four times as I back in, but if I get too close to a side, I get the louder STOP! tone, and I stop. Thus the sounds keep me or my wife from making a mistake.