Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

21 Plaid Retrofit matrix headlights & tilt screen help please!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It might be worth asking your SC how much they would charge for the ethernet port.
The (relatively inexpensive) parts needed are:
JUMPER-MEDIA 1.00 CONTROL UNIT RJ45 Part# 1783315-00-A
ETHERNET 1.00 DIAGNOSTIC - RJ45 MODULE Part# 1681904-00-A

If the cost of that upgrade is not crazy then it might be worth it over the long run instead of buying or renting a media converter maybe multiple times.
It isn’t possible to retrofit the Ethernet port onto the 8GB computer. The eCall port was modified to add a larger connector with 2 extra pins so the Ethernet port could be added on the “Gaming” E-G Revision computers.

I tried to do exactly this before buying a Media Converter.

It isn’t possible to retrofit the Ethernet port onto the 8GB computer. The eCall port was modified to add a larger connector with 2 extra pins so the Ethernet port could be added on the “Gaming” E-G Revision computers.

I tried to do exactly this before buying a Media Converter.
Agreed. He said he has a steam computer though. Isn't that a 16gb computer?

What functionality does the Ethernet port provide access to?
It (and the original non-RJ45 ethernet port) is how you connect to the car for higher level diagnostics and tools using Teslas Toolbox 3 or Tesware. Things like configuration changes are done through that port. Having the RJ45 is much more convenient if you want to use those programs.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: turns2stone
Agreed. He said he has a steam computer though. Isn't that a 16gb computer?
Some of the late 2021/early 2022 cars got a “Rev2” D Revision computer which have 16GB of Ram, but don’t have the provision for the Ethernet port on the computer. Those still have to use the Media Converter.

No way to know if that’s the case without physical inspection of the eCall connector.

Reactions: KyleDay and Bull
Didn't see anyone ask here, but is it possible to order parts for a car you don't have? Or is that why people are ordering off ebay/getting help from Reid to source them?

Asking so I can get my hands on the swivel parts/carbon fiber interior trim parts onto a MSLR from the tesla service center.

I ordered a lot of parts through my SC including the swivel mechanism, VCLEFT, and some of the carbon fiber parts. The rest of the carbon fiber parts I found on ebay. I converted my Plaid from wood trim to carbon fiber.

Be sure to compare pricing. Sometimes the SC is MUCH cheaper.

Last edited:
On a 6/2024 model x plaid the ethernet port is there behind the middle dash piece but no connector for the ethernet port ? I read on tesla website that there are going start using the obd 2 port now for diagnostics ...does any one have any knowledge about that ?

On a 6/2024 model x plaid the ethernet port is there behind the middle dash piece but no connector for the ethernet port ? I read on tesla website that there are going start using the obd 2 port now for diagnostics ...does any one have any knowledge about that ?
Hmm, I know they use the obdii port on the model 3 highland and cybertruck, wasn’t sure if they were transitioning the rest.

the sae standard Tesla references matches what is commonly referred to as the BMW ENET cable, and those are pretty cheap.

Could you take a look at the obdii port and see what pins are populated?

Its weird that they just put the ethernet jack there with no wiring connected to it must be the obd2 port ..there is an adapter for the obd2 port ?
So if they truly transitioned the cars the to obdii ethernet, a cable like this should work Amazon.com

Most of these will be advertised for BMWs, but the pinout was the same when I looked it up. However I think it is also easily as possible that Tesla ****ed up when building your car and forgot to connect the ethernet wiring

Reactions: Bull

So if they truly transitioned the cars the to obdii ethernet, a cable like this should work Amazon.com

Most of these will be advertised for BMWs, but the pinout was the same when I looked it up. However I think it is also easily as possible that Tesla ****ed up when building your car and forgot to connect the ethernet wiring
I purchased an amazon rj45 to obd2 says it works on bmws ..The service manual shows the ethernet jack ..but this model x was off the factory floor 2 weeks ago Ill let you know when i try to hook it up tomorrow. The model 3 manual says any ethernet to obd2 adapter would work ..I looked everywhere around that middle dash piece and found no little pig tail anywhere . I tried doing scanmytesla with a bluetooth obd2 adapter and i got some data but nothing on the screen

Hmm, I know they use the obdii port on the model 3 highland and cybertruck, wasn’t sure if they were transitioning the rest.

the sae standard Tesla references matches what is commonly referred to as the BMW ENET cable, and those are pretty cheap.

Could you take a look at the obdii port and see what pins are populated?
Confirmed no more Ethernet port on model x 2024 ..no mention yet on the service manual ..obd II port to rj45 adapter works perfect ..the connection was super fast ..no lag at all

Reactions: terranx
Confirmed no more Ethernet port on model x 2024 ..no mention yet on the service manual ..obd II port to rj45 adapter works perfect ..the connection was super fast ..no lag at all
And Tesla continues to fvck around with that port. How many iterations of it exist now throughout their range of vehicles!

Pick one and be done with it. This isn’t hard! It’s not like Rj45 Ethernet wasn’t around when they first started building cars in 2012

And Tesla continues to fvck around with that port. How many iterations of it exist now throughout their range of vehicles!

Pick one and be done with it. This isn’t hard! It’s not like Rj45 Ethernet wasn’t around when they first started building cars in 2012
Obdii-Ethernet is probably what they’ll stick with since that’s what the model 3 and cybertruck use and is what the sae/ISO groups have adopted. BMW has been using it for a while, looks like Volvo is too. I’m sure other makes as well.

might change again at some point if the industry decides to move on to gigabit (or multigig)

Obdii-Ethernet is probably what they’ll stick with since that’s what the model 3 and cybertruck use and is what the sae/ISO groups have adopted. BMW has been using it for a while, looks like Volvo is too. I’m sure other makes as well.

might change again at some point if the industry decides to move on to gigabit (or multigig)
“Probably” is not a term I would use :) they will change it again in a year max to something equally asinine :)