Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

3-month FSD 'free' on new HW4 cars is useless

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

and Elon just confirmed that those of us with the '3-month free' FSD will never get it
Geez...if us HW4 owners need to wait for FSD to be "working super well", it's likely to take a lot longer than 6 months. Remember the axiom - "Take the square of Elon's time estimates and halve your expectations". So I'm guessing FSD will be working on HW4 in 36 months, but will still have issues. It's hard to fathom anyone buying FSD outright on a HW4 car now.

Reactions: tierneyalvin
Geez...if us HW4 owners need to wait for FSD to be "working super well", it's likely to take a lot longer than 6 months. Remember the axiom - "Take the square of Elon's time estimates and halve your expectations". So I'm guessing FSD will be working on HW4 in 36 months, but will still have issues. It's hard to fathom anyone buying FSD outright on a HW4 car now.
How to calculate square mathematically?

Think about this: 6 months = 0.5 year, 0.5 square is 0.25 year so 3 months?🤪

Or 6 months = 26 weeks, 26 square is 676 weeks so 13 years?🤦

A strange feeling to downgrade for twice the cost. We just moved from a 2020 MY with FSD that got beta and we used it for a while and now have a 2023 MX with HW4 and yeah, missing features and ultrasonic sensors so auto park and the aut doors are funky. I see plenty of upset people on the forum on this so whatever but just a strange move. The X was double the cost of the Y. Also wasn't able to transfer FSD as the Y was a lease. Odd because we paid for it the same. A lease FSD cost should be lower cost if it's not permanent. This thing is fast as hell though. Too fast for it's own good tbh lol.

Also wasn't able to transfer FSD as the Y was a lease. Odd because we paid for it the same. A lease FSD cost should be lower cost if it's not permanent.
No, the cost to you for FSD in a lease isn't the same, at least not if you included in the lease. Because it is included in the lease calculation and ends up normally being cheaper than subscribing to FSD. (Under $200/month or less than $7,200 for 3 years vs. $15k.)

If you paid full price for FSD after you took possession, then yeah, you made a poor decision to pay full price for something that you would only have for 1-3 years.

Reactions: nate704
Hi All,

TMC noob here. Today I just burned through my 1st month of "3 Free Months of FSD." Obviously it was a huge disappointment as everybody
in the same boat knows.

I've read many of the posts here along with 2 calls to Tesla Customer Service and one to my local service center about why I can't enable FSD.
So I know the answer to "Why can't I enable FSD?" and it's "You have to wait for a software update and we don't know when that will be."

So my 3 questions for this post are:

1. Why is Tesla continuing to update their older hardware (with FSD 11.4, 11.6, 11.7) while leaving new hardware cars in the dust?
2. Any hints as to a release date?
2. Why is Tesla continuing their false & misleading incentive ad campaign of "3 Free Months of FSD?" (It's still being shown on my Referrals tab in the app)

Any insight will be greatly appreciated

2023 Model Y Performance
Full Self Driving Computer
Full Self Driving Capability Auto Renewal Nov 5, 2023
Software 2023.20.100.1

Anyone else just receive the FSD beta update? 2023.26.11?

Attachments

• IMG_1454.png
    IMG_1454.png
    583.9 KB · Views: 79
Wow that came out of nowhere. Saw the massive update (took almost an hour) and let it rip. Went to the garage and wow all sorts of interesting noises coming from everywhere. Once it was done, I noticed FSD beta was available! And some other neat options for the scroll wheel to be able to adjust other things like suspension, temperature, etc. What a coincidence. Probably too much flak for people trading out of FSD beta cars into newer HW4 cars being effectively downgraded, who knows.

Wow that came out of nowhere. Saw the massive update (took almost an hour) and let it rip. Went to the garage and wow all sorts of interesting noises coming from everywhere. Once it was done, I noticed FSD beta was available! And some other neat options for the scroll wheel to be able to adjust other things like suspension, temperature, etc. What a coincidence. Probably too much flak for people trading out of FSD beta cars into newer HW4 cars being effectively downgraded, who knows.
You have factory adjustable suspension in your Model Y?

So beta has been updated for HW4, and ahead of schedule?
Ahead of what schedule? Elon said everyone would get the 11.4.7 release this week, so it is either on schedule or actually behind as 11.4.4 is what is rolling out.

If you are referring to Elon's 6 month comment, I think that was about HW4 performance, not availability, lagging HW3 performance for at least 6 months.