Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

36.X and Steering Wheel Weight?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It can't detect weight it detects friction and torque input. I let autosteer do its thing and lightly touch at the bottom of wheel and slightly impede whatever autosteer wants to do. That is enough to de-nag in my car most of the time.
A weight attached to a wheel imparts torque. Having to touch the wheel is what people are trying to avoid.

Moot point. Elon promised hands free AP/FSD by 12/31/2022

"The car will be able to take you from your home to your work, your friend's house, the grocery store without you touching the wheel," he said.
You are right, but he only said that one time. In subsequent follow ups, he said "without needing to touch the controls".......so that made me think if the wheel counts as a control......otherwise why would he switch his verbiage........hopefully on V11 no wheel touching is needed and they ensure attentiveness only by visual confimation

I have been noticing Autopilot disengagement without notice due to weight on wheel since 2022.36 as well.

I noticed that after 12-14 minutes of weight use the car will disengage without notice.

Here is a video of that happening;
Video

It disengaged at 18:15 on the clock. On that day I stated Autopilot at 18:01, had to disengage to pass through toll at 18:05 and reengaged it immediately afterwards.

I realized that if you switch the weight (either switching sides or adding extra weight) every 10 minutes the car won’t ever disengage.

I have been noticing Autopilot disengagement without notice due to weight on wheel since 2022.36 as well.

I noticed that after 12-14 minutes of weight use the car will disengage without notice.

Here is a video of that happening;
Video

It disengaged at 18:15 on the clock. On that day I stated Autopilot at 18:01, had to disengage to pass through toll at 18:05 and reengaged it immediately afterwards.

I realized that if you switch the weight (either switching sides or adding extra weight) every 10 minutes the car won’t ever disengage.
So if you add extra weight to the opposite side it won’t disengage? Or do you need to continual switch sides or add weight. Ie: constantly change the weight value(s) on each side.

Trying to defeat hands on the wheel check with wheel weights is doomed unless its very sophisticated .
While not very sophisticated this is working for me. Works like a charm. Was experiencing the autopilot disengaging issue, and the water weight shifting around is preventing it from happening anymore.
20221206_132930.jpg