Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

4 month old MYP Hit...how's it look guys?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey everyone, car (2022 Model Y Performance) got rear ended recently and this is how it looks. I know most people aren't insurance adjusters or anything, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience with or has seen this level of damage. If anyone has idea of roughly how much this would cost to repair (or if it's bad enough to be a total loss), would be great.
Also, it's undriveable. Wheel gets caught every half rotation.
Thanks. I am sad.
IMG_2599.JPG

Yeah, was rear ended. Looked like the car was changing lanes, didn't see another car in blind spot, scraped them, then rear ended me and flipped to the shoulder. Had to be going pretty fast for that though and it definitely felt like quite an impact. Surprisingly no major injuries for all parties.

Last edited:
Reactions: IMortify
I believe in California, the insurance companies look at "cost to repair" + "value of vehicle at salvage auction." If that amount exceeds the appraised value of the car before the accident, they will total it. Unfortunately, Teslas fetch top dollar at salvage auctions these days. I've seen cars with much less damage be totaled.

Don't say that. You probably have some injury and should probably retain a lawyer to go after that reckless driver. The guy didn't even use his indicators and was speeding. Destroy him in small claims.
Haha, destroy him in small claims court….for $10k max?
Truth is once you post comments and video in a public forum you’ve pretty much given away any chance at going to court.

I guess OP was going way too slower than the traffic around? Driving way too fast is definitely dangerous, but going way too slow (than surrounding traffic) is not that safe either.
You can’t say that based on given footage. Lane to the right might have been an exit lane. Two cars that collided might have been road raging / exceeding speeds appropriate for lanes. OP has two passing lanes to the left.

Amazing how the Tesla barely flinched with that much impact.

Looks like the white car was passing on the right that was the ultimate fault. Black car obviously not looking nor had a blind spot warning alarm.

Yeah, was rear ended. Looked like the car was changing lanes, didn't see another car in blind spot, scraped them, then rear ended me and flipped to the shoulder. Had to be going pretty fast for that though and it definitely felt like quite an impact. Surprisingly no major injuries for all parties.
Man, the driver that hit ya was an asshat. Make 'em pay man.

Man, the driver that hit ya was an asshat. Make 'em pay man.
The car that hit the Tesla was an idiot, but the white car in the right lane triggered it IMHO. Illegal passing on right in some states. But good practice to avoid it and be on the lookout for creeping into someone’s blind spot from behind. And don’t pass them slowly because you are in a vulnerable position. The white car in the right lane did everything possible wrong.

if you look at the video closely, OP was moving slower than all the traffic around including the white car on the right lane, which was going about the same speed as others, except that black car that hit it.
If OP was going slower than everyone else around him/her, the white car was not illegally passing him on the right since OP was just too slower than others. I think the black car is the only one to blame (in my personal opinion) for speeding and illegal lane change.

if you look at the video closely, OP was moving slower than all the traffic around including the white car on the right lane, which was going about the same speed as others, except that black car that hit it.
If OP was going slower than everyone else around him/her, the white car was not illegally passing him on the right since OP was just too slower than others. I think the black car is the only one to blame (in my personal opinion) for speeding and illegal lane change.
@mswlogo is correct. For some context, the right lane was an exit lane, so I don't think the white car was trying to pass; was probably just trying to exit. The area we were in had stopped traffic further ahead, so the right two lanes other than the exit lane had slowing traffic with the slowest in my lane and the very left (which is why you see the car starting to slow, and why the very left lane also being the slowest later). The exit lane was clear, so I don't think the black car had reduced their speed at all and just expected to take the exit ramp.

And yeah the car did a pretty amazing job of absorbing the shock of the impact. I do think that caused the video to skip though because the moment of impact skipped out.

Last edited:
Reactions: nate704
You can’t say that based on given footage. Lane to the right might have been an exit lane. Two cars that collided might have been road raging / exceeding speeds appropriate for lanes. OP has two passing lanes to the left.

Amazing how the Tesla barely flinched with that much impact.

Looks like the white car was passing on the right that was the ultimate fault. Black car obviously not looking nor had a blind spot warning alarm.
Not the white car's fault at all

Hey everyone, car (2022 Model Y Performance) got rear ended recently and this is how it looks. I know most people aren't insurance adjusters or anything, but would appreciate feedback from anyone who has experience with or has seen this level of damage. If anyone has idea of roughly how much this would cost to repair (or if it's bad enough to be a total loss), would be great.
Also, it's undriveable. Wheel gets caught every half rotation.
Thanks. I am sad.View attachment 830069
Place an order for a new one RIGHT NOW — might as well start the process.

*The real wheel looks like it’s been pushed forward an inch or two….this will be totaled. Order a new one NOW.

**Hope everyone is ok.

Contact a personal injury lawyer IMMEDIATELY. It will never get to court. Will settle out of court.
And NEGOTIATE with multiple personal injury attorneys. the 33 and 1/3rd is NOT a law/rule. for slam dunk rear end cases where both parties are insured? Ive gotten a lawyer to take the case for 20% fee total. 99% of the work is done by their paralegals in cases like this. Lawyer just ends up signing off on it.
But you have around $13-$16k in your pocket waiting for you when all said and done.

AND you have video evidence? Oh man..lawyers are going to DEF take your case with nothing out of your pocket/no retainer.

speaking from experience..

• Disagree
Reactions: mswlogo and BnGrm
Haha, destroy him in small claims court….for $10k max?
Truth is once you post comments and video in a public forum you’ve pretty much given away any chance at going to court.
Wrong. And if he consults an attorney(s) they will tell him so. VERY common for pain/injuries to not reveal themselves until sometimes many hours after an accident. He has video proof, was rear ended, he was totally NOT at fault in this severe accident.

He can get PAID.

Last edited:
Reactions: .Slug