Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is super unfortunate. I thought the range would be better and yeah, even with the extender, that thing is prob SUPER heavy so it will decrease the towing capacity
Rumor is the range extender is a 50kwh pack in the pickup bed. If we assume that is weights somewhere between 600-900 lbs (I've seen guesses from 400-1000 so far), that drops the payload capacity to 1900-1600 lbs. That's not too bad if we assume towing a 10k trailer with 1k tongue weight. Given the CT almost assuredly has a class IV receiver hitch that only supports tongue weights up to 1100 lbs, it seems we're safe on payload even with the range extender in play - but we'll have to wait until we have a definitive answer on the weight of the range extender itself to be sure.

Rumor is the range extender is a 50kwh pack in the pickup bed. If we assume that is weights somewhere between 600-900 lbs (I've seen guesses from 400-1000 so far), that drops the payload capacity to 1900-1600 lbs. That's not too bad if we assume towing a 10k trailer with 1k tongue weight. Given the CT almost assuredly has a class IV receiver hitch that only supports tongue weights up to 1100 lbs, it seems we're safe on payload even with the range extender in play - but we'll have to wait until we have a definitive answer on the weight of the range extender itself to be sure.
stop coming with facts here.... there's the consensus over at the Cybertruck forum that the range extender will come in/out of your bed willy-nilly and you can loan it to your friends, use as a power wall at home or just "plug in" when you need a bit more range the next day ... after all... lifting 600 lbs+ into the bed of a truck and making *hot* High voltage connections is totally end user safe....

I honestly need it to tow the Pebble FLow Pebble | Where Home Meets the Road

... making *hot* High voltage connections
The range extender thing is all manner of goofy and unrealistic for a quick click-in click-out sort of scenario, but can we please stop pretending it's going to involve handling hot ~800vdc connections?

Relays/contactors are a thing. They have been for a long time. They work quite well. Plug in a supercharger cable if you don't believe me.

There are enough real concerns to ponder, we don't need to make up fake ones.

how hard is it to drive a car with an airstream? Like turning etc? No special license needed correct?
Not all that difficult. I’ve been towing campers for going on 20 years now though. My 17 year old got the hang of it fairly quickly last summer. Go slow, be extra careful, leave plenty of space and you are good. No extra licensed needed. If you ever consider buying one I recommend renting first if possible.

We sort of hated our airstream and love our current Outdoor RV.

Airstreams are much more cramped inside, have less storage, and are poorly insulated as compared to most other quality travel trailers.

Reactions: everydaychris
I hear that. I’ll never buy another airstream. We sort of hated ours, really like our current Outdoor RV. I was at the dealer for water line antifreeze, they had a poster of it and asked out of curiosity.
I have a Manley ORV (off road vehicle trailer). Comes with 31" A/T tires and a Dexter 3500 axle... it's pretty rudimentary, but that's all I need. I don't have water lines or a head, just a shower with a manifold mounted hot water heater on the truck engine. Maybe I use my Manley ORV to carry the spare battery as long as it is under 2000 lbs, I should be GTG.

Last edited:
Reactions: coleAK
Ignoring highway result and extrapolating as Reddit thread did:

“Uniform 0.7 Range”

123kWh CT unknown tires UDDS 430 miles

430mi*(0.55+0.92*0.45)*0.7 = 0.675*430mi =290mi

290mi != 500mi

131kWh Rivian Dual Large 20” AT UDDS 459mi
459 *0.675 = 310mi

Identical efficiency.

131kWh Rivian Dual Large 21” street UDDS 520mi
=> 351mi

Do you seriously believe this garbage? Spouting off a bunch of theoretical and irrelevant (as it pertains to trucks) physics doesn’t make you sound smart.
Yes, I do believe it. I've learned that physics tends to be real, not garbage. I've been part of a lot of things, including EVs, that pushed the laws of physics, they do apply, whether we like them or not.
You may not understand them from 1st principles, but you probably do from experience.
This:
A bare bones cummins diesel semi frame is ~800-1k lbs, a that is a truck that has a GVWR of 35k lbs.
Is consistent with the physics: Diesel has great Specific energy. One may not be able to just swap out that Diesel power plant with an electric one that weighs 14x as much and get the same performance.
Spouting nonsense about things that don't exist:
For EVs the Silverado EV is rated to 450 miles with a body on frame.

For aerodynamics. the CT is less aerodynamic then the Rivian. And Tesla is not an innovator in aerodynamics, 2023 Tesla Model s has about the same aerodynamic drag as a 1951 Saab 92.

As for the movable 600+lb battery…. Tesla has already released that it is a permanent installation that will have to be done at a service center. I don’t know how many 600 lb bricks you have moved in and out of a truck bed in real life, yes it is possible but I’m betting much more complex (and expensive) then it is worth.
are completely unsupported statements (or at least I haven't seen anything that convinces me yet). Until there are actual products out there (including the CT) for real, independent testing, all we have are the natural laws and marketing hype. Addressing the 1st principles is what enabled us to invest in the Roadster initially when all of the business folks said it wouldn't work. I'll continue to use physics as my guide until I see how someone works through the real issues.

. . . and there really are hard challenges as you point out:

and another consideration, if the range extender is for towing. Think of this, range extender+spare tire+WD hitch will put you at at least 1k lbs. A 25-28’ bumper pull camper will be 8-10k loaded and will give you 1k-1500 lbs of hitch weight. Now you are approaching or exceeding The CT GVWR without accounting for passengers.
I just don't see this being solved by traditional methods. I'll be happy for the 450 mile Silverado to prove me wrong. The unique design of the CT was different at least in a way that addressed these physics challenges (heavy battery weight). The question is whether it will prove to actually enable an EV truck? or are we stuck with ICE for full truck capability?

With these proposals of higher fuel economy standards for Trucks we need Battery break throughs in range, lighter weight and smaller Battery Packs or more Hybrid Trucks. An F 450 Super Duty is never going to get even 40 MPG.

NHTSA proposes new CAFE standards for passenger cars and light trucks built in model years 2027-2032, and new fuel efficiency standards for heavy-duty pickup trucks and vans built in model years 2030-2035. If finalized, the proposal would require an industry fleet-wide average of approximately 58 miles per gallon for passenger cars and light trucks in MY 2032, by increasing fuel economy by 2% year over year for passenger cars and by 4% year over year for light trucks. For heavy-duty pickup trucks and vans, the proposal would increase fuel efficiency by 10% year over year. The proposal would provide critical savings at the gas pump for American consumers, and sets goals that are consistent with Congress' direction to conserve energy and provide flexibility to industry on how best to meet those goals from proven, available fuel-saving technologies.