Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

500 mile range? LOL

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i think with towing anywhere close to max tow rating you probably see that ~250 miles of range from 100% to 0% likely drop down to 120 miles or less ... add the fact that *nobody* is towing from 100% ot 0% until they get stranded and you are looking at a tow range of maybe ~100 miles.

that's why I giggle when folks claim that the Cybertruck is perfect to fullfill their towing needs. Perfect if you tow a boat just 50 miles back/forth. on the weekend. Not so perfect if you tow for 400 miles and have to hook/unhook that trailer 3 times when charging every 1.5 hr
14500lbs gross vehicle weight, 1900mile trip, no unhooking, 1.2-1.6mi/kWh. Aero is everything.

Use a diesel for your ‘hotshot’ business, add the 100gal aux tank and extended factory tank, don’t stop for 2weeks while towing 4 McMansions and 2 head of cattle to market.
Gasoline is arguably the worst, look to F150 reliability on the eco boost and 10spd.

I think anyone suggesting that CCS towing is in anyway better than NACS, may want to take a step away from the pipe. RAN isn’t prevalent enough to making towing seamless.

• Informative
Reactions: outdoors
i think with towing anywhere close to max tow rating you probably see that ~250 miles of range from 100% to 0% likely drop down to 120 miles or less ... add the fact that *nobody* is towing from 100% ot 0% until they get stranded and you are looking at a tow range of maybe ~100 miles.

that's why I giggle when folks claim that the Cybertruck is perfect to fullfill their towing needs. Perfect if you tow a boat just 50 miles back/forth. on the weekend. Not so perfect if you tow for 400 miles and have to hook/unhook that trailer 3 times when charging every 1.5 hr
Well said.

don't believe everything Elon says
I don't believe anything Elon says, just because he says it, nor have I ever. Tesla does have a lot of brilliant people and, unlike the rest of American industry, Musk protects them from the MBAs who are destroying the rest of American industry.
Musk also supports a 1st principles approach, as do I. This allows me to gauge the reality and viability of what he says myself.
I also laud his willingness to try new and difficult things and even better, keep working on them if they make 1st principles sense, even if there are the inevitable hiccups and stumbles along the way. He also isn't afraid to fail and sometimes does when he gets too ambitious.

Speaking of range - just saw this pop up on another forum - interesting that Tesla has lowered 2024 range estimates for most models - not sure why at this point - but figured I'd post it here since it's range related:

1704482448755.png

I think Ford is doing ok selling their trucks, I don’t think they’ll be having any problems for a long time.

Keep making excuses on why after 4 years Tesla, the battery tech “leader” is barely matching the specs of Fords truck EV
Yup, it sure was kind of Tesla to cede the early market for EV 'normal' pickups to the usual suspects - at least for a while - as they ramped up production on their mass market automobile. We need other manufacturers other than Tesla so it was nice for them to leave a little space early on.
That works personally for me nicely too. After all, I need a good economical car pretty much every day and Tesla kindly provides several options there. However, I only need a truck for those occasional days where work, home chores, or play call for offroad or hauling. Therefore, my old dino-burner will still suffice for that 5% of my actual needs/wants. Most people have no need for a truck in their lives.
Tesla's priorities have, so far, overall, been spot on. I even appreciate the windmill tilting to invest in self-driving. After all, if someone actually gets this herculean challenge to truly work, it will make a huge difference as we get too old to drive.

Gotta go to their website. Wait, lemme go and look ... hold on ...

Read the whole article here.
View attachment 1006370
Huh, that first reason leaves me with more questions than answers. Are these comfort and functionality improvements due to changes in the software somewhere? Hardware changes? Both? If software only, will existing Tesla vehicles receive the updated software via a OTA update and will their range be negatively impacted?

Reactions: TessP100D
I'm sure you all will think I'm a troll, but I just don't see anything inspiring about the Cybertruck. Some serious range could have been inspiring, but it didn't happen. So I bought an F-150 Lightning. I've been complaining lately about Tesla's entire lineup not improving in range for years now.

I'm also negative on some of Tesla's recent innovations like removal of steering stalks, and I hate the yoke steering wheels. FSD is meh, yet priced in a way that makes Apple Inc. blush.

BUT, I'm still a Tesla fan. I'm just not inspired by their current automotive offerings. I'm still very into their charging network, and I hope they will both open it up to other manufacturers (which seems to be happening) and I hope they will make decent dime on that too (from electricity sales if nothing else). I'd like to see Tesla start building out V4 supercharger stations with the longer cords, probably centered on parking stalls to prevent parking space conflicts. I'm perfectly fine with them talking over all EV charging in America. Go for it. Make it happen. EA and other competitors in this market kind of deserve to fail at this point.

As I’ve said before. The majority of the improvements mentioned and implemented at battery day were manufacturing related. The structural pack has been a thing since model y. It just got more advanced to the point it’s included with the seats now. The 4680 can’t cool as well as the smaller batteries. Blah. Blah. Blah.

Reactions: Nack
After all the hype of battery day, I’m a little disappointed with all of this (cybertruck real world range test, charging curve.. etc)

I realize there are weight/efficiency trade offs, but I’m not sure the current range is at a good point.

If Tesla succeeds in increasing energy density on 4680 (rumors have said they will, and there’s also been reports of density increases planned for Panasonic 2170s), cybertruck/other tesla products could become significantly more compelling.

And with the $45 per kWh subsidy for battery+pack production, Tesla should really go full steam ahead improving capacity/range.

I don’t think it’s quite correct to say the EPA requires the test be conducted that way, it is one of two options if the manufacturer builds in multitude drive modes and doesn’t have one mode the vehicle always defaults to when it’s started up. So if you change a drive mode to Sport with less efficiency, turn the car off, turn it back on again and it keeps Sport mode, that is what they call a ”latching” drive mode.

Not all cars do this, some have a drive mode the car will always default to at each start up and you need to change the mode away from that default after startup. And they’re also putting emphasis on the drive mode the car is set to when it comes off the assembly line.

To me it sounds like some carmakers were doing the testing in, let’s say an aggressive Eco mode and/or some combination of other settings, and using that to calculate the EPA range but you could change the drive modes to a variety of other things and the car would retain that drive mode each time it starts up. It was another way to make the EPA numbers as optimistic as possible, probably could do the same thing with ride height and other settings that impact efficiency.

Yup, it sure was kind of Tesla to cede the early market for EV 'normal' pickups to the usual suspects - at least for a while - as they ramped up production on their mass market automobile. We need other manufacturers other than Tesla so it was nice for them to leave a little space early on.
That works personally for me nicely too. After all, I need a good economical car pretty much every day and Tesla kindly provides several options there. However, I only need a truck for those occasional days where work, home chores, or play call for offroad or hauling. Therefore, my old dino-burner will still suffice for that 5% of my actual needs/wants. Most people have no need for a truck in their lives.
Tesla's priorities have, so far, overall, been spot on. I even appreciate the windmill tilting to invest in self-driving. After all, if someone actually gets this herculean challenge to truly work, it will make a huge difference as we get too old to drive.

254 miles range at 70 mph.

from 100% down to absolutely 0% where the vehicle will brick. So under 240 miles for the actual user who doesn't drive it down to 0% expecting a tow.