Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

7.1 in Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I asked the question because I was challenged by Huw as to when we had been promised summons. It sounds like they are going to try and wriggle out of this one.
Maybe Elon needs to be clear when he makes pronouncements as which markets he is talking about. The company is now a global one and not confined to the USA.

I asked the question because I was challenged by Huw as to when we had been promised summons. It sounds like they are going to try and wriggle out of this one.
Maybe Elon needs to be clear when he makes pronouncements as which markets he is talking about. The company is now a global one and not confined to the USA.

Small point: What does "Huw" mean? I have seen that around a few times - can't sus it.

"Mr Walker added, however, that Tesla is working with government to secure regulatory approval for the new technology.
Although not yet confirmed, Australian owners may have the ability to Summon their vehicle in the not-too-distant future."

That was a quote out of the CarAdvice article. Must have been updated again since it was last posted. So not all hope is lost!

FWIW you can check on the Wayback Machine although Tesla no doubt planned & are still planning to release it. I don't think it's Tesla's fault that we're not getting it yet.
I think 'legal requirements' is being used as an excuse. They should REALLY quote the statute/regulation that is causing the problem (if any).

- - - Updated - - -

Small point: What does "Huw" mean? I have seen that around a few times - can't sus it.
Huw Williams - Service manager Sydney (and possibly with Australian oversight). I have spoken with Huw a few times; his main job is to calm down irate customers:cursing:

Can anyone here confirm when precisely we were told/ promised summons or something similar? I have been around so long that as far as I am concerned, it has always been there. As, for that matter, has homelink and a browser.
Newbies or relative newbies may be able to localize it better, given whatever sales pitch they were given.
I posted the web page yesterday as an attachment, just go back to page 5, 6.48pm. The web page was deleted and replaced on the same date as the top corner (5/6/2015) but the graphic wasnt changed.
I paid for this function, so will need compensation from tesla. I'm not in the habit of handing corporations charity. I mean surely tesla don't think its ok to flash it all over their webiste, and launch it to the media, take a heap of orders and money, then say "sorry its not legal so we wont be giving you that, but thanks for the cash anyway"

Last edited:
I agree with this. I do not see any legal problems... Unless of course by legal problems Tesla means they are too darn scared that they are going to get sued by some idiotic Aussie in a Kangaroo Court...
I think tesla should be more worried about the american court system.
They should also be worried about a small think called false and misleading conduct, and the size fines that invites. Nurofen might be happy to advise them on the quantum of these things.

I think tesla should be more worried about the american court system.
They should also be worried about a small think called false and misleading conduct, and the size fines that invites. Nurofen might be happy to advise them on the quantum of these things.

In the drive towards full autonomy, it's only a matter of time before we get Summon and much more like pick me up in Melbourne & drive me to Sydney :)

I met Gary (Tesla engineer) in Brisbane today for recall check and asked a few questions:
* Summon in Aus ? Presumed it would come here post beta provided we get past the regulatory issues.
* Web browser enabled at no/low speed -- Most common question he gets and doesn't know why that feature hasn't made it into an update yet.
* SCs for north of Sydney - being discussed right now and focus in 2016 with MEL/CBR/SYD linkage complete.
I also flagged an apparent bug with nav that I have where directions on centre touchscreen get confused with prior destinations, while directions on map on dashboard are fine. He said he's not seen this before... has anyone else, or is it just me ?

I met Gary (Tesla engineer) in Brisbane today for recall check and asked a few questions:
* Summon in Aus ? Presumed it would come here post beta provided we get past the regulatory issues.
* Web browser enabled at no/low speed -- Most common question he gets and doesn't know why that feature hasn't made it into an update yet.
* SCs for north of Sydney - being discussed right now and focus in 2016 with MEL/CBR/SYD linkage complete.
I also flagged an apparent bug with nav that I have where directions on centre touchscreen get confused with prior destinations, while directions on map on dashboard are fine. He said he's not seen this before... has anyone else, or is it just me ?

Prior to 7.0 I had a frequent bug where the centre Nav display blue route seemed to point to previous destinations or the route before recalculating where as the dash map route was always updated correctly. I had to zoom out and in for it to refresh sometimes. But post 7.0 software I haven't had that issue anymore.

Post 7.1 update the 3G signal strength icon has disappeared from the top row of symbols on my 17" display. Can someone please check their car and advise me of their icon status?

Many thanks,

RBR

Has the text "3G" also disappeared and has 3G failed? This happened to me outside of any update. A reboot with the steering wheel buttons fixed it.

- - - Updated - - -

I know of at least 12 in Australia now, with half of them in the last 24 hours. I think it just rolls out slowly initially.

I'd imagine they will start slowly in each country as its country-specific variant is rolled out. After all, if it goes wrong, better to brick one or two cars rather than the whole fleet.