Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

80A Breaker installed

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I had an electrician install my wall charger. On my first charge I noticed I was only drawing 12A. Did my research and found that the guy didn’t “Set the operating current” correctly. Installation guide says for an 80A breaker (which will output 64A Max) to set the rotary to “B”. But, the online guide says that any breaker over 60A is going to charge the car at the same speed.

Should I just have the rotary adjusted to the 60A position? Since it’s seemingly useless to pull more amperage.

Attachments

• 2AA72405-A86A-4EEF-817E-4759364077B3.jpeg
    2AA72405-A86A-4EEF-817E-4759364077B3.jpeg
    716 KB · Views: 110
  • 6C97BDBF-12FB-4B70-932C-5956A8217B07.png
    6C97BDBF-12FB-4B70-932C-5956A8217B07.png
    295.2 KB · Views: 98
  • AEB740E4-73EA-4390-A65E-D97942EF2FF0.jpeg
    AEB740E4-73EA-4390-A65E-D97942EF2FF0.jpeg
    431.6 KB · Views: 92
Follow up question:

If the car can only take 48A and that equates to 44 miles gained an hour, than why is a supercharger able to charge 10x faster?

Because the Supercharger feeds direct current (DC) directly into the battery. Charging on an AC outlet requires the car's internal charger (48 amps max) to rectify the AC current to DC current. A Supercharger machine has a stack of twelve chargers similar to what's in your car.

Since you're in Rockville, I'd like to invite you to our monthly EVADC meeting. Third Wednesday of every month. Hope to see you there! Electric Vehicle Association of Greater Washington, DC | Promoting electric vehicles as an environmental and energy alternative

Unless you have a S or X that can charge faster, there's currently no advantage to being at over 60A (80% = 48A continuous)

Maybe he'll come across a friend or relative with an S or X in the future. I don't know. My point is, why not set it to the max that it's wired for rather than setting it at the max of the particular car he has? Having the extra power available hurts nothing.

Reactions: Big Earl
How difficult or dangerous is it for me to just cut off the breaker, open up the charger and adjust my dial myself? I mean do I really need to wait for my electrician to come out again to get this done?
Not difficult at all. Go for it if you're comfortable with doing so. I open my EVSEs every now and again just to inspect and verify that there's no signs of excess heat being generated inside.

Maybe he'll come across a friend or relative with an S or X in the future. I don't know. My point is, why not set it to the max that it's wired for rather than setting it at the max of the particular car he has? Having the extra power available hurts nothing.

Your wall charger will likely last far longer than your car, so definitely thinking longer time frame and future needs rather than "what works best today."

So, I had an electrician install my wall charger. On my first charge I noticed I was only drawing 12A. Did my research and found that the guy didn’t “Set the operating current” correctly. Installation guide says for an 80A breaker (which will output 64A Max) to set the rotary to “B”. But, the online guide says that any breaker over 60A is going to charge the car at the same speed.

Should I just have the rotary adjusted to the 60A position? Since it’s seemingly useless to pull
Yep, he needs the T20 security pin Torx bit that came with the kit, or another equivalent bit from some other set.
Bow do you change the rotary to B. We just installed the wall charger and we are only getting 10 miles per hour. Thanks