Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

A sad tale of how not to sell cars (???)...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3-4 Months ago I understood tesla strict policy on test drives only for reservation holder.
But now Tesla should supply more Cars for test drives so everyone can take a Test drive.
It really seems that the Model S reservation could be a way bigger success than it already is, esp. given the usual reaction of potential buyers after a Test drive.
So far my impression is that the Test drive really is the selling point and that convinces people that where just passengers without any intention to buy a Tesla but after the test drive they were.

So now with a high production rate it really should be possible to supply more test drive cars to the Tesla stores so everyone can have a Test drive, without any waiting time.

Some people forget that the crowd that is happy to spend 90k on a Car is not used to wait in line esp. not when they want to buy something.

And for the people that a saying "well Tesla doesn't have a demand problem" they forget what kind of impression this test drive policy leaves on potential customers.

Tesla current Test drive policy is one thing where Im very disappointed as a shareholder and as a customer.

@cardriver

When buying a car, the primary focus should be the car -- the product itself. Yes, in a sense, you are buying into the company and trusting them to "do right by you" (and survive long enough for that to matter).

As far as service and customer care post-sale, my vibe from the forum since joining is that there are isolated cases of "I'm unhappy about ..." that crop up only rarely regarding how Tesla has treated customers after the sale. And in most (perhaps nearly all, not sure) of the cases where there was a strong post on the forum, there was typically a follow-up less than two weeks later reporting that Tesla came through -- often with a very "wow, was I wrong" apologetic post.

Now, regarding sales staff, test drives, delivery delays, etc. -- They've made many mistakes, and there are cases where "company policy" ("no test drives without reservation!" and "ranger fees even for due bill items!") is either 'slightly off' or followed heavy-handedly or too literally. Tesla has shown consistently that they are striving to correct these things and while not making perfect course corrections, in the realm of reality and human imperfection they seem to be doing a pretty good job at it.

IMO, much (perhaps all) of the troubles and drama where Tesla isn't initially meeting or exceeding people's expectations boils down to two things.

1. Young company, experiencing growing pains. As an example, when you find a really good sales person he/she might turn into a store manager relatively quickly. At this point, you have an "in" with your local store because you knew the manager when he/she was "just a sales person". And you get to like and trust that person. Then he/she gets promoted again and moves off "to corporate" or to another store that needs experienced leaders. At this point -- relatively speaking -- your store has "gotten worse" because they then have to find some new sales people, break them in, etc. This is just one type of growing pain that they're undergoing. But I felt it might be a useful example to relate.

2. Overload. When people (and machines for that matter) are running at "100% nominal capacity" for long periods -- and worse if at 125% -- they make more mistakes. Sometimes these are mechanical mistakes -- the wrong part or swapping temporary tags on vehicles -- that can be easily remedied. Sometimes these are social mistakes that result in a lost sale (or cascade of sales due to word of mouth). It's not an excuse for "unpleasant" store experiences, but sometimes it's the explanation. Definitely use the store managers as a resource for voicing your concerns so that (A) they can work to get them addressed and (B) they have an opportunity to "make it right" in some way.

I'm rambling a bit. Sorry for the long post.

I hope you find a good vehicle for your lady and that it serves you both well.

Seems like some staff in some stores enforce the "no test drive without reservation" rule while others don't. It is certainly easier for them as employees to just follow this rule. Sounds like an argument for commission sales to me. Everyone hates on commissions, but it does motivate staff. It's going to be a while before Tesla can afford to keep a bunch of potential $100k sales sitting around as test drive cars, so the incentives have to be in place to use the ones that exist as much as possible.

They've made many mistakes, and there are cases where "company policy" ("no test drives without reservation!" and "ranger fees even for due bill items!") is either 'slightly off' or followed heavy-handedly or too literally.

To be fair to Tesla, "ranger fees even for due bill items" was never company policy. Joost confirmed as such. This was the case of misunderstanding or miscommunication during training.

The Newport Beach store is unlike any other store. I made a trip out there a few months ago and the salespeople were very aloof- especially the sales manager. Cardriver it may be worth the drive to the Santa Monica or San Diego store.

Todd Burch is absolutely right. I highly doubt the demo cars are solidly booked for test drives every single day for the next two months.
Actually, I can believe this. When I visited New York -- admittedly earlier in 2012 (I don't remember exactly what month) -- they said "Our demo car is off in Washington for a show. You can check out our Beta but it's not driveable..."

(Edit: and they had a Roadster, but it was a loaner from an owner, not owned by Tesla!)

Because Sig holders were really upset about late delivery, and because so many people wanted their cars in 2012 for tax reasons, I think Tesla has skimped on construction of demo cars. Also, obviously, Tesla makes much quicker cash from producing cars for reservation holders than they do from test drives. Since the reservation rate is running ahead of Tesla's ability to manufacture, deliver, and service, Tesla actually doesn't have very strong incentives to encourage additional reservations right now. They will have such incentives n a month or two when (one hopes!) they get their act together at the back end.

It's probably time now for Tesla to bite the bullet and produce 20 or so test-drive cars now, so that there's plenty of ability to provide test drives, but I can easily believe that they haven't done so yet, and that the test-drive cars are completely overbooked.

@brianman,

Agree with your ponts. I tend to take all anonymous forums with a grain of salt.

If a Tesla salesperson has the time to take someone on a test drive then I see no reason why the person can't drive the car (with the salesperson in the car) for a short period if they have proper insurance and licensing in place. Taking the keys is another issue.

- - - Updated - - -

There are certain Ferrari customers who do get test drives. With Ferrari, the issue is whether they will let you buy the car, even if you have the money. When a new, highly anticipated model is released, there is a long standing pecking order in the U.S., with priority given to customers who have purchased multiple Ferraris over a period of years.

What I was saying is that Ferrari dealerships do not allow people off the street to test drive cars (like the case in point here). If you are a regular customer then you are right.

The Newport Beach store is unlike any other store. I made a trip out there a few months ago and the salespeople were very aloof- especially the sales manager. Cardriver it may be worth the drive to the Santa Monica or San Diego store.

That was not my experience. The staff there were friendly and helpful. The only "odd" thing was that they were booked solid for test drives until I informed them that I was a reservation holder, and then they took me for a drive right then and there. It sure sounds like they were simply enforcing a "policy" from higher up.

I've only scanned this thread quickly, but....

Isn't the main problem that there is a 6 month wait (maybe 3-6 month) for the actual car? Seems to me this is an example of somebody who wants the upgrade NOW and not in a few months.

Regarding being able to schedule drives, etc., I agree with everybody -- there are good reasons to schedule for any motivated buyer but a 5k deposit isn't too tough of a barrier to entry. The sales model will tend to gather motivated buyers as opposed to people who just want a nice car really soon. Maybe that's the true design purpose at this point anyhow.

I still think this example buyer isn't going to wait 6 months for their car, so that's the main issue here.

I've only scanned this thread quickly, but....

Isn't the main problem that there is a 6 month wait (maybe 3-6 month) for the actual car? Seems to me this is an example of somebody who wants the upgrade NOW and not in a few months.

Regarding being able to schedule drives, etc., I agree with everybody -- there are good reasons to schedule for any motivated buyer but a 5k deposit isn't too tough of a barrier to entry. The sales model will tend to gather motivated buyers as opposed to people who just want a nice car really soon. Maybe that's the true design purpose at this point anyhow.

I still think this example buyer isn't going to wait 6 months for their car, so that's the main issue here.

She wanted to buy a Porsche last weekend - but after looking at the Tesla, and driving the Porsche, she thought she wanted the Tesla. She'll wait the 6 months... We may keep the Prius, or trade it for a Lexus to drive for 6 months, then sell it... I'll call the store and try again...

I don't think it is a 6 month wait anymore unless you want the 40 or 60 battery. I am finalizing a white performance 85 and Tesla is assuring me that i will have the car in less than 2 month. They told me they are currently producing 85 performance models. I think the time period just depends on where you catch them in their production chain.

She wanted to buy a Porsche last weekend - but after looking at the Tesla, and driving the Porsche, she thought she wanted the Tesla. She'll wait the 6 months... We may keep the Prius, or trade it for a Lexus to drive for 6 months, then sell it... I'll call the store and try again...

I don't think it is a 6 month wait anymore unless you want the 40 or 60 battery. I am finalizing a white performance 85 and Tesla is assuring me that i will have the car in less than 2 month. They told me they are currently producing 85 performance models. I think the time period just depends on where you catch them in their production chain.
Ahhh, good news then! I'm partial to the 85 perf too; I think the 40Kwh base or the 85 perf are the best values. We have an 85 perf. It is my wife's daily driver and I get it for weekends and vacations.

Take up the offer from a current owner. You'll get all the good parts and bad. The good parts are really really really good. The bad are... at most annoying, imho, and better than any other car I've seen. After 3500+ miles my wife and I are very happy about not visiting any gas stations. And I look for any excuse to drive it. :smile:

Actually, I can believe this. When I visited New York -- admittedly earlier in 2012 (I don't remember exactly what month) -- they said "Our demo car is off in Washington for a show. You can check out our Beta but it's not driveable..."

(Edit: and they had a Roadster, but it was a loaner from an owner, not owned by Tesla!)

Because Sig holders were really upset about late delivery, and because so many people wanted their cars in 2012 for tax reasons, I think Tesla has skimped on construction of demo cars. Also, obviously, Tesla makes much quicker cash from producing cars for reservation holders than they do from test drives. Since the reservation rate is running ahead of Tesla's ability to manufacture, deliver, and service, Tesla actually doesn't have very strong incentives to encourage additional reservations right now. They will have such incentives n a month or two when (one hopes!) they get their act together at the back end.

It's probably time now for Tesla to bite the bullet and produce 20 or so test-drive cars now, so that there's plenty of ability to provide test drives, but I can easily believe that they haven't done so yet, and that the test-drive cars are completely overbooked.

Test drive cars became available at the end of September/beginning of October. There are a lot more than 20 test drive cars now, and they definitely aren't completely overbooked.

I'm going to get slammed for this but I just have to say it....
This is an example of pure arrogance. Tesla needs to learn how to say yes, pure and simple. Every potential customer is consciously or subconsciously evaluating the quality of the organization they are dealing with. Only hard core early adopter Tesla fans (of which I am one) will put up with this crap.

Find a way to give everyone a ride that wants one period full stop. If you must, cull out the pure joy riders but put everyone else you can possibly get your hands on in the car. You may not need these people right this very second but mark my words; a time will come in the very near future where you will need every last one of them and every one they will rave to about the car.

It is worth repeating as it needs to go to everything Tesla does (trades, deliveries, service, etc.); Tesla, find a way to say yes as much as humanly possible! I want you to succeed.

I'm going to get slammed for this but I just have to say it....
This is an example of pure arrogance. Tesla needs to learn how to say yes, pure and simple. Every potential customer is consciously or subconsciously evaluating the quality of the organization they are dealing with. Only hard core early adopter Tesla fans (of which I am one) will put up with this crap.

Find a way to give everyone a ride that wants one period full stop. If you must, cull out the pure joy riders but put everyone else you can possibly get your hands on in the car. You may not need these people right this very second but mark my words; a time will come in the very near future where you will need every last one of them and every one they will rave to about the car.

It is worth repeating as it needs to go to everything Tesla does (trades, deliveries, service, etc.); Tesla, find a way to say yes as much as humanly possible! I want you to succeed.

And some of us with a long Tesla history would say that that is exactly what they have been doing. Do you really believe that they are instructing stores to be arrogant? We have countless stories in this forum of them going above and beyond to say yes.

pffffyt.