Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

After 5-weeks, I turned FSD Beta off!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After years of waiting I finally got my FSD Beta! After 6-weeks I turned it off.

I found the promise of the FSD Beta to be overblown. Yes it is very cool that the car will navigate on city streets to a destination. But the car is far too timid to be usable. It is worse than driving with a student driver. Also, the car’s hesitation causes a lot of problems with other drivers who get confused when they see the car stop or slow, when it should not. But that is not what made me turn it off.

I turned it off because it made the overall driving experience annoying, and more dangerous.

With the beta turned-on, the car makes speed changes at nearly every speed limit sign, even when only running TACC. Not only is this annoying but these changers often alarm my passengers and sometimes surprise the cars behind. The car does not do this when the FSD is disabled.

And then there is a notice at nearly every traffic light that one is coming, even when running only on TACC. I find I am spending time clearing nuisance alerts instead focusing 100% of my time on driving the car. And the sudden speed changes, if you miss one of the alerts, is just another version of the phantom breaking problem with the same set of issues for the cars behind. Note that I have this feature disabled under AP. This does not occur if FSD is disabled.

Next we have speed based lane changes. I disabled this under AP and the FSD stack just ignores this as well, and there is no way to tell it not to do so.

So overall, the benefit of having FSD is very minimal, while the negative impact to quality and enjoyment of driving is very real. I definably will not be buying FSD on a future car, unless these problems are fixed.

Tesla_Autopilot_Engaged_in_Model_X.jpg

"Tesla Autopilot Engaged in Model X" by Ian Maddox is licensed under CC BY-SA 4.0.
Admin note: Image added for Blog Feed thumbnail

The difference is Tesla may be willing to take the risk and liability as well as their customers, but the trucking industry as I pointed out will not be, Commercial Trucks with 80,000lbs and company name on the line, like Costco or Frito Lay, will not take this liability, and will not invest heavy in it until it works well. They will continue to use it as an autopilot technology, very similar to how Tesla is doing it.

And that's why it isn't available in the Semi right now.

But honestly, the trucking lines are wanting it more than consumers do. Drivers are expensive and unreliable.

Reactions: BrendonHolt
Here's a comical but "scary" event that my car (in whatever mode it was in - probably NoA - since I was "in town") did the other day and now I have a new appreciation for Elon's "neural network" (tongue-in-cheek for the Tesla fan boys here).

I was traveling through Tyler, Texas the other day and I had a turn coming up to turn off a major roadway onto another major roadway at a large, controlled intersection. As I traveled toward a local rock & stone supplier that I realized suddenly I had some items that had been backordered and I had received a phone call from them two days prior telling me my 3 items had finally arrived and could be picked up or brought to me.

So, as I am about to pass the stone supply place, still 0.5 miles from my next turn, my MSLR w/FSDb activates the left turn signal, pulls into the "dedicated turn lane" and proceeds to wait, cross traffic and pull into the parking lot!!! A parking lot NOT on my route and all the while still showing my "route" as needing to proceed another 1/2 mile farther before I make a turn to stay on-course.

I was on the phone at the time and kind of laughed at the situation because the car drove exactly where I was "looking" and "thinking" i needed to go, but not where it was programmed to go!! It was funny and weird all at the same time.

I was curious why it suddenly chose that oddly offset turn lane, of all the places it could have done an errant turn, and after leaving the stone place I drove about a half mile back up the road, made a U-turn and activated the NoA with the same route I had previously been on. I was curious to see if it would, once again, turn into the incorrect turn lane well prior to when it was supposed to. And NOPE!! It went right on by. And twice since then i have navigated that same route with the same results.

So, all that being said, Elon, your "neural network" is scaring me a little bit right now!!! :Do_O:oops::rolleyes: Get outta my head Elon!!!!!

Here's a comical but "scary" event that my car (in whatever mode it was in - probably NoA - since I was "in town") did the other day and now I have a new appreciation for Elon's "neural network" (tongue-in-cheek for the Tesla fan boys here).

I was traveling through Tyler, Texas the other day and I had a turn coming up to turn off a major roadway onto another major roadway at a large, controlled intersection. As I traveled toward a local rock & stone supplier that I realized suddenly I had some items that had been backordered and I had received a phone call from them two days prior telling me my 3 items had finally arrived and could be picked up or brought to me.

So, as I am about to pass the stone supply place, still 0.5 miles from my next turn, my MSLR w/FSDb activates the left turn signal, pulls into the "dedicated turn lane" and proceeds to wait, cross traffic and pull into the parking lot!!! A parking lot NOT on my route and all the while still showing my "route" as needing to proceed another 1/2 mile farther before I make a turn to stay on-course.

I was on the phone at the time and kind of laughed at the situation because the car drove exactly where I was "looking" and "thinking" i needed to go, but not where it was programmed to go!! It was funny and weird all at the same time.

I was curious why it suddenly chose that oddly offset turn lane, of all the places it could have done an errant turn, and after leaving the stone place I drove about a half mile back up the road, made a U-turn and activated the NoA with the same route I had previously been on. I was curious to see if it would, once again, turn into the incorrect turn lane well prior to when it was supposed to. And NOPE!! It went right on by. And twice since then i have navigated that same route with the same results.

So, all that being said, Elon, your "neural network" is scaring me a little bit right now!!! :Do_O:oops::rolleyes: Get outta my head Elon!!!!!
Wow, cool story. Hard to believe it's a coincidence. Could it be possible that the address was sent to your Tesla or you sent it to your Tesla from a text or email that you received? I've sent destination addresses from my phone, but then don't get in my car for a couple of hours and forget that I did

Wow, cool story. Hard to believe it's a coincidence. Could it be possible that the address was sent to your Tesla or you sent it to your Tesla from a text or email that you received? I've sent destination addresses from my phone, but then don't get in my car for a couple of hours and forget that I did
Nothing I could find. I had never planned to stop there, I was trying to make a point with the business that since they made a mistake twice and made me drive an hour down there that they should HAVE TO deliver the items to my home. However, I just happened to have to run into Tyler and was just randomly driving by there!! I saw their business sign as i was talking on the phone (completely unrelated phone conversation) which made me realize that I could possibly just complete my "purchase" with them if I were to just get the last few pieces of stone I had ordered. I stared at the sign, thought about how I'd even turn around to get there on the busy "loop," when the car suddenly made the decision for me! lol.

It was a weird one!!!

Reactions: johnnycnote

We've seen this before. It's typically a GPS error where the car thinks it's somewhere else. Keep a sharp eye on your car's location when driving. Zoom in and make sure the map has your car in the exact location it should be. If off even a little, open a service ticket. There are many people who needed to have their cabin cameras replaced due to it interfering with the GPS antenna.

Reactions: DWtsn
Not to revive a "dead thread" but my car just seems to be getting worse with NoA and FSDb.

Just yesterday the rural postal lady in her little USPS van was half on/half off the roadway while she was delivering mail into a small, roadside mailbox. My MSLR never even slowed down!! I had to yank the yoke at the last second to avoid a huge crash. This was on a two-lane town road that has regular and visible roadway markings. I think commonsense would say that the vision system should be able to see and recognize a vehicle halfway into my lane of travel but nope!!!

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would not purchase another Tesla until the bugs are worked out, in about 10 years!! It's a very stressful car to drive because it will do random acts of ridiculousness that you just can't prepare for so you must constantly be hyperaware.

Another example from last week, I was driving eastbound on I-20 about 1-1/2 hours east of Dallas, very rural stretch of interstate and just myself and a semi-truck on this stretch of interstate. While in FSDb I was traveling 80mph in a posted 75mph zone and in the right lane as I approached the semi I activated my turn signal to move to the left and around the truck. Halfway into the left-hand (#1) lane my car suddenly and VERY rapidly yanked back into the right lane (#2), then mistakenly identified the lane markings for the exit lane as my highway lane markings and attempted to exit the interstate at 80mph!!! This was so fast and so abrupt that when I yanked the yoke to stay on the interstate the rear tires actually broke traction. It's these sort of events that just cause major frustration and can put you in a very dangerous situation.

Another example from last week, I was driving eastbound on I-20 about 1-1/2 hours east of Dallas, very rural stretch of interstate and just myself and a semi-truck on this stretch of interstate. While in FSDb I was traveling 80mph in a posted 75mph zone and in the right lane as I approached the semi I activated my turn signal to move to the left and around the truck.
Except of course FSDb isnt active on freeways (until v11).

Until you get this latest version (single stack) of FSDb (maybe next week), the highway version of AP on your car is using the old code.
Yes, using the old stack but still using FSDb (Autosteering feature) on the highway. I watch how my car (with FSDb) and my wife's car (with AP only) and the difference is dramatic. The things my car has done that are patently ridiculous and occasionally dangerous are vast, while my wife's car is almost flawless with almost none of the issues that I experience.

Yes, using the old stack but still using FSDb (Autosteering feature) on the highway. I watch how my car (with FSDb) and my wife's car (with AP only) and the difference is dramatic. The things my car has done that are patently ridiculous and occasionally dangerous are vast, while my wife's car is almost flawless with almost none of the issues that I experience.

Weird.

I also have FSD beta and my highway autopilot works the same way it has been for the last couple years. It isn’t until I get onto city streets that FSDb kicks in.

Does one car have radar and not the other?

Also be sure to calibrate your cameras. I especially found this to be needed after a windshield replacement.

Weird.

I also have FSD beta and my highway autopilot works the same way it has been for the last couple years. It isn’t until I get onto city streets that FSDb kicks in.

Does one car have radar and not the other?

Also be sure to calibrate your cameras. I especially found this to be needed after a windshield replacement.
I was going to recalibrate the cameras again this weekend because my car has been doing some very abnormal things. My car does have radar ('21 MSLR) but my wife's car ('22 M3LR) does not. However, I had the radar sending-unit replaced under a warranty and was told by the Tech that although it was being replaced, it was also deactivated. I had a windshield replacement once, shortly after I purchased the car, and the recalibration helped, I'm hoping it will again. Some of the things my car does just make no sense.

Not to revive a "dead thread" but my car just seems to be getting worse with NoA and FSDb.

Just yesterday the rural postal lady in her little USPS van was half on/half off the roadway while she was delivering mail into a small, roadside mailbox. My MSLR never even slowed down!! I had to yank the yoke at the last second to avoid a huge crash. This was on a two-lane town road that has regular and visible roadway markings. I think commonsense would say that the vision system should be able to see and recognize a vehicle halfway into my lane of travel but nope!!!

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I would not purchase another Tesla until the bugs are worked out, in about 10 years!! It's a very stressful car to drive because it will do random acts of ridiculousness that you just can't prepare for so you must constantly be hyperaware.

Another example from last week, I was driving eastbound on I-20 about 1-1/2 hours east of Dallas, very rural stretch of interstate and just myself and a semi-truck on this stretch of interstate. While in FSDb I was traveling 80mph in a posted 75mph zone and in the right lane as I approached the semi I activated my turn signal to move to the left and around the truck. Halfway into the left-hand (#1) lane my car suddenly and VERY rapidly yanked back into the right lane (#2), then mistakenly identified the lane markings for the exit lane as my highway lane markings and attempted to exit the interstate at 80mph!!! This was so fast and so abrupt that when I yanked the yoke to stay on the interstate the rear tires actually broke traction. It's these sort of events that just cause major frustration and can put you in a very dangerous situation.

My car did the exact same thing passing a mail truck yesterday. Except that I didn't yank control from the car as it calmly moved to the left to get around the mail trick.
On another day it came up to another mail truck and stopped. That's because it realized that there was an oncoming car and couldn't safely pass. The mail truck moved to the next mailbox and this time the road was cleared as my car pulled to the left to pass the truck.

And for the lane change abort, they happen, but they happen because the car has decided that it is unsafe for some reason. It's trying to be safe.

Okay fanboy, I'll bite, so you're saying FSDb works where? My FSDb won't work on an interstate/highway? Please define.
How does pointing out a technical mistake make me a fanboy?

And if you think FSDb works on freeways/interstates, then I don't really know what you have been doing with the beta. FSDb only engages on non-highways/interstates. On highways you are using AP/TACC/NoA, not FSDb (though this is about to change with V11).