Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just realized one thing, regardless wether CT eventually ships in this size to Europe or not. I am not prepared to buy any other Tesla car, if it's not Cyber ! So pleeease Elon, it's not a good idea to make a smaller version of the CT for us somewhere in the distant future, but it's frikkin urgent to design, produce and ship sh..tloads of Cyber-anythingies, CityCyber, CyberRoadster, CyberVan, CyberSmallTruck !!!

Over the weekend i was driving around Switzerland and was shocked how my perception of cars and their design language has already changed. Everything looks so dated, so baroque, in an akward way.

If I'm not the only one with this mind-shift, I guess it means osbourning of the line-up of Teslas (and all other car companys products)..

Now should I return to the Investors anything but Cybertruck thread ?

Perhaps this has been answered before and I missed it.

The bed sidewalls on the CT bed are slopped and higher near the cab than the sides on a "regular truck". This (bed sidewall height) is an issue when using trucks. It has to do with ease of loading/unloading the bed.

A simple example of this is firewood. I use a tractor front end loader to lift a bucket of fire wood up to about the height of the truck sidewall after which I can mostly just slide the rounds off the loader bucket into the bed. This makes lifting of heavy firewood rounds a LOT easier and I can load the truck starting from the front of the bed to the back which is efficient. If the tractor is not available then the lifting is on you.

It is possible to lower the CT bed height with the suspension however, so do we know the actual bed sidewall max height delta vs F-150? I am thinking it is not as much as some might think. Is this data out there?

Further, it looks like the bed can be tilted so that suggests a little bit of a dump truck function. The CT may be able to make it much easier to slide rounds off the bed by tilting the bed pneumatically. The pneumatics on the CT might be interesting.

• Love
Reactions: Electroman
EKNGlJbX0AAyYqR
I suspect Elon's numbers are removing duplicate reservations. I have two reservations, and I need to cancel one of them, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so.

• Informative
Reactions: AZRI11 and jerry33
I suspect Elon's numbers are removing duplicate reservations. I have two reservations, and I need to cancel one of them, but I'm not in a huge rush to do so.
I just put in a second one. I really want the 500 mile version, but waiting another year might be too much. My hope is that the rollout will be faster than expected.

Sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't catch up completely, but I am concerned regarding the export of Cybertruck in the European Union.

Shortly put there are strict rules in the EU regarding vehicle design standards, stricter than in the US.

Those rules include for example the mandatory presence of child seat attachment points in all newly produced vehicles ("ISOFIX" standard).

Also there are regulations regarding crumple zones, to prevent or mitigate damage to pedestrians/other road users when they are hit by a vehicle. This is the reason that all car models are starting to look similar, given the "roundish nose" and the like. A classic Cadillac for example could not be produced and delivered nowadays in the EU.

I was (again) looking at some shots of the CT and it hit me that those sharp edges on the car body will most likely be unfit for European Union roads legally.

I'd hope the Tesla team has checked this out ahead of time (and I would expect they do). However sometimes Elon does oversee things.

Unfortunately I am not an expert on EU vehicle regulations and quick Googling can't point me in the right direction, so I'm stating my concerns here on TMC. Does anyone have any insights in the EU vehicle safety regulations and how CT can match those?

Sorry if this has already been posted, I couldn't catch up completely, but I am concerned regarding the export of Cybertruck in the European Union.

Shortly put there are strict rules in the EU regarding vehicle design standards, stricter than in the US.

Those rules include for example the mandatory presence of child seat attachment points in all newly produced vehicles ("ISOFIX" standard).

Also there are regulations regarding crumple zones, to prevent or mitigate damage to pedestrians/other road users when they are hit by a vehicle. This is the reason that all car models are starting to look similar, given the "roundish nose" and the like. A classic Cadillac for example could not be produced and delivered nowadays in the EU.

I was (again) looking at some shots of the CT and it hit me that those sharp edges on the car body will most likely be unfit for European Union roads legally.

I'd hope the Tesla team has checked this out ahead of time (and I would expect they do). However sometimes Elon does oversee things.

Unfortunately I am not an expert on EU vehicle regulations and quick Googling can't point me in the right direction, so I'm stating my concerns here on TMC. Does anyone have any insights in the EU vehicle safety regulations and how CT can match those?

Would not these regulations be for cars only?

For big trucks like HGV/LKW/Semis they obviously do not apply. Their fronts are completely vertical. And many smaller trucks have the vertical front. I belive this is decided by the total weight in the registration papers? Perhaps over 3500 kg you are a small truck per definition? And over 7500 kgs a big truck.

Wouldn't the TCT be somewhere between 3500 and 7500 kilos?

• Helpful
Reactions: jeewee3000
The loading and design of Starship is completely different from Cybertruck. Starship is a pressurized tube (also free standing) with mostly axial loads. CT is a point loaded truss. Starship went stainless specifically for temperature resistance (at both ends of the spectrum) and the thickness is the minimum needed based on that strength. CT is cold rolled super hard 3.0mm plate. Starship's skin is shaped into cylinders, CT is scored and bent.

F9 uses an aluminum-lithium alloy, the stainless does not need to be super strong.

Annealing starts at 500F or so for steel, but it depends on the specific alloy.
Stop just talking out your....... stainless does not change in hardness from heating... that’s why it is cold rolled.
I don’t know about which temps start becoming a problem except 1900 degrees... if you think off the top of your head that stainless falls apart at 800, where annealing stops, degrees then go find the google link for it.

Stop just talking out your....... stainless does not change in hardness from heating... that’s why it is cold rolled.
I don’t know about which temps start becoming a problem except 1900 degrees... if you think off the top of your head that stainless falls apart at 800, where annealing stops, degrees then go find the google link for it.

Is the color argument still going on? Elon said they should be able to make it in black, so clearly they can make at least some different colors without destroying the steel.

How does a fifth wheel hitch fit in that bed? Can you turn 90 degrees with the fifth wheel camper without hitting the sides of the bed?
I though about this as well, & the only way I see it working & clearing the rear bulkheads is though lowering it with the adaptive suspension, that only leaves 5th wheel adapter mounting points & are dually tires a question due to exoskeleton, so this may be an adapter Tesla will offer, or not. It can be something that Tesla will want to avoid altogether for safety, liability, & negative press.

I apologize for given the impression that the metal would fall apart due to annealing. Per Wikipedia:
In metallurgy and materials science, annealing is a heat treatment that alters the physical and sometimes chemical properties of a material to increase its ductility and reduce its hardness, making it more workable. It involves heating a material above its recrystallization temperature, maintaining a suitable temperature for a suitable amount of time, and then cooling
A full anneal typically results in the second most ductile state a metal can assume for metal alloy

The change in harness and increase in ductility were my concern for Cybertruck which is specifically made via the cold rolled process.

I was incorrect in not better researching the different temperatures involved. Plain steel anneals at 500 F plus. However, stainless does not do so until > 1,800 F. Not a concern for the 730F max temp of your color samples.

On the side topic, Starship could hit upwards of 2,120 F (1,150 C). https://arstechnica.com/features/2019/09/after-starship-unveiling-mars-seems-a-little-closer/ However, may be designed around the annealed strength, not the cold rolled. Similar to adjusting aluminum strength due to the the heat of welding. Discussion on this topic : SpaceX Starship/Super Heavy Engineering General Thread 3

• Helpful
Reactions: Artful Dodger