Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the color argument still going on? Elon said they should be able to make it in black, so clearly they can make at least some different colors without destroying the steel.

I doubt whether a good enough (consistent color), corrosion resistant, durable black is consistently possible with type 301 stainless. See Black & Grey Colored Stainless Steel. I would worry about a nightmare of warranty issues, and impossible to repair with matching colors.

• Helpful
Reactions: davepsilon
I though about this as well, & the only way I see it working & clearing the rear bulkheads is though lowering it with the adaptive suspension, that only leaves 5th wheel adapter mounting points & are dually tires a question due to exoskeleton, so this may be an adapter Tesla will offer, or not. It can be something that Tesla will want to avoid altogether for safety, liability, & negative press.

Do Crew Cab (short bed) F-150s take a 5th wheel, or do you have to use a 3/4 ton truck, like a F-250?

Do Crew Cab (short bed) F-150s take a 5th wheel, or do you have to use a 3/4 ton truck, like a F-250?
I'd say it depends. It's certainly possible to fit one on, but you are limited to the capacity of the bed and the amount the truck can pull, whichever is lower.

The highest tow ratings by cab are 13,200 pounds for the 2WD SuperCrew equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost and 6.5-foot bed. For the SuperCab, the maximum rating is 12,000 pounds with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost, 2WD and 6.5-foot bed. If the regular cab is your thing, then a rating of 12,100 pounds can be had with the 2WD model equipped with the 3.5-liter EcoBoost and 8-foot bed.

While these are the maximum tow ratings for a variety of configurations, keep in mind that additional options might decrease the towing capacity. Also, additional passengers and payload within the truck will decrease the maximum towing capacity.

• Informative
Reactions: SmartElectric
My mom called me this am saying "guess what I am getting". I figured a new Mercedes as she loves her convertible. Nope, she ordered the truck. She just turned 80 last month. LOL Tried to get her a 3 long ago but she was not interested.

Thanks for this post. I just put down another preorder for this for my mom. Now i just have two years to "sell" her on it.

The huge interior space, utility, and price being too crazy low makes it a consideration versus some BMW or Mercedes SUV, or even a Tesla SUV. Even if the looks are a bit crazy.

Thanks for this post. I just put down another preorder for this for my mom. Now i just have two years to "sell" her on it.

The huge interior space, utility, and price being too crazy low makes it a consideration versus some BMW or Mercedes SUV, or even a Tesla SUV. Even if the looks are a bit crazy.
I'll guess that within not too many years, this look will be the standard look.

• Disagree
Reactions: RobStark
Mark my word, very likely 200,000+ truck orders in the first 24 hours. It's a great truck/SUV at a great price. Some people will love it right away, others will switch slowly. In the long run they will sell millions.

Seeing how there are many people that ordered multiples and many that
I'll guess that within not too many years, this look will be the standard look.

Should be plenty of "mom jeans" wraps available too..

• Funny
Reactions: EVCollies
I apologize for given the impression that the metal would fall apart due to annealing. Per Wikipedia:

The change in harness and increase in ductility were my concern for Cybertruck which is specifically made via the cold rolled process.

I was incorrect in not better researching the different temperatures involved. Plain steel anneals at 500 F plus. However, stainless does not do so until > 1,800 F. Not a concern for the 730F max temp of your color samples.

On the side topic, Starship could hit upwards of 2,120 F (1,150 C). https://arstechnica.com/features/2019/09/after-starship-unveiling-mars-seems-a-little-closer/ However, may be designed around the annealed strength, not the cold rolled. Similar to adjusting aluminum strength due to the the heat of welding. Discussion on this topic : SpaceX Starship/Super Heavy Engineering General Thread 3
You might be right then because the only two charts I could find, one I posted, had the temps MUCH lower. Yes if you have to start getting close to that magic 1900 degrees it will definitely start effecting the characteristics. Most likely it will become brittle.

This is the other chart I found that also has stainless annealing at lower temperatures but they are not official. I know when I drilled through Stainless (18/10) it turns blue and then black. I did not realize the drill bit got it all the way up to 1800 degrees.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 4.46.32 PM.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-25 at 4.46.32 PM.png
    106.1 KB · Views: 64
On Nov 22, Elon Musk's TSLA share were worth more than they were 16 days earlier. Up 5% in fact (317 vs 334).
This kind of headline always bring back some of the sweet memories.

One warm winter day Microsoft released earnings, stock dropped from 50 to 42 the next day. Headline was Bill Gates lost so much money one day.

Bought 2000 share of MSFT that day and never looked back.

Thanks for sharing the Doug DeMuro video. I don't know much about pickup truck specs so I'm not sure if he's right or not. I disagree with him on the aesthetics though. It's not necessarily a bad thing if the design is polarizing, even among diehard Tesla fans.
DeMuro has written some terribly inaccurate articles about Tesla in the past, this is on a similar level.

Thanks for sharing the Doug DeMuro video. I don't know much about pickup truck specs so I'm not sure if he's right or not. I disagree with him on the aesthetics though. It's not necessarily a bad thing if the design is polarizing, even among diehard Tesla fans.

Aesthetics are a matter of taste and opinion, it is hard to argue with anyone's personal taste.

Doug left out fuel cost which more than closes any gap in price compared to base diesel trucks IMO.

Even if we call it a wash on price the other advantages of Cybertruck are:-
  • Low maintenance
  • Bigger cabin (than most)
  • Acceleration and handling
  • Ride comfort
  • Off-road ability
  • Lockable storage (multiple options)
I think range while towing is an open question, and is the only area that may disappoint Cybertruck fans,
If you are going to tow big loads long distances plan on get then $70,000 model and hope to be pleasantly surprised..
Even if that 500 miles of range comes down to something like 350, that is still workable for nearly all trips.

Aesthetics are a matter of taste and opinion, it is hard to argue with anyone's personal taste.

Doug left out fuel cost which more than closes any gap in price compared to base diesel trucks IMO.

Even if we call it a wash on price the other advantages of Cybertruck are:-
  • Low maintenance
  • Bigger cabin (than most)
  • Acceleration and handling
  • Ride comfort
  • Off-road ability
  • Lockable storage (multiple options)
I think range while towing is an open question, and is the only area that may disappoint Cybertruck fans,
If you are going to tow big loads long distances plan on get then $70,000 model and hope to be pleasantly surprised..
Even if that 500 miles of range comes down to something like 350, that is still workable for nearly all trips.
He left out way more than that. I went to Ford’s website and tried to configure a similarly spec’d truck and it was way more. He was comparing a two door, stripped cloth seat joke of a configuration.

DeMuro has written some terribly inaccurate articles about Tesla in the past, this is on a similar level.

I listen politely but I would agree that there was not much insight offered. The CT will be a transformative vehicle if the exoskeleton concept can be affordably manufactured and performs up to what it promises.

This is a million mile vehicle potentially (still unconfirmed) and comparing it to any 200k mile vehicle on some sort of value basis is missing a lot. Really, comparing it to any vehicle other than maybe a train car is inappropriate. The body should be nearly indestructible and the drive unit and battery are pushing toward delivering a million miles.

This design is suitable for off-planet applications with a few tweeks so comparing it to an ICE vehicle little changed since 190x misses the deeper vision we have been presented.

With a few more tweeks and a thruster pac this body is a good start for a shuttle craft for inter-StarShip transport in orbit. There is a reason the name is Cyber Truck and not Pickup truck:)

Reactions: Artful Dodger