Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ALL CyberTruck discussion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aesthetics are a matter of taste and opinion, it is hard to argue with anyone's personal taste.

Doug left out fuel cost which more than closes any gap in price compared to base diesel trucks IMO.

Even if we call it a wash on price the other advantages of Cybertruck are:-
  • Low maintenance
  • Bigger cabin (than most)
  • Acceleration and handling
  • Ride comfort
  • Off-road ability
  • Lockable storage (multiple options)
I think range while towing is an open question, and is the only area that may disappoint Cybertruck fans,
If you are going to tow big loads long distances plan on get then $70,000 model and hope to be pleasantly surprised..
Even if that 500 miles of range comes down to something like 350, that is still workable for nearly all trips.

Also an open question how you park at the supercharger stall while towing a trailer...

Can anyone explain the meaning of “Pulls ∞” in this slide?

VBKDeBd_d.jpg
This is the load you can pull with a tow strap. Meaning there is no weight supported by the truck and there is no pushing (braking of the towed object) by the truck.

This is how a truck can pull a 747 airplane or a train on level tracks.

It means you can apply a consistent pulling force even at zero speed for an extended time to get the load rolling.

Also an open question how you park at the supercharger stall while towing a trailer...

Some locations have special stalls set up for that, but typically say one out of 8.

What is also interesting is that they were a bit coy about the fast charging option, 250 KW+, without being specific..

What is possible is Supercharger V2<Supercharger V3<*Something else*<Megacharger

*Something else* might not exist, or perhaps Supercharger V3 can go higher than 250 KW..

Reactions: kbM3
This is a million mile vehicle potentially (still unconfirmed) and comparing it to any 200k mile vehicle on some sort of value basis is missing a lot. Really, comparing it to any vehicle other than maybe a train car is inappropriate. The body should be nearly indestructible and the drive unit and battery are pushing toward delivering a million miles.
None of these guys are going to give Tesla the benefit of the doubt on the Cybertruck. Tesla is going to have to prove it out every step of the way for the next three years.

Elon is pretty smart by starting to post informational videos for the truck like the F150 videos, but i think he should also start posting informational videos about the utility of the Cybertruck and what it can do as a highly functional pickup truck. The more awareness for potential customers, the better. An informational video twice a month for the next two years would be a good start. Cybertruck is in its' own category, i don't think Tesla even needs to sell it against legacy pickups so they can skip all those comparison videos.

Last edited:
I'm starting to think that NOT reserving the truck is a dumb idea. I mean, there's literally nothing to lose. The $100 is basically an option to lock in the price, more importantly the FSD price. The fact that it's refundable makes it an insanely dumb thing to pass up; it's basically a free option (to buy). Am I reading this wrong? If FSD, at the time of the truck deliveries, is say 25% higher, then that $100 option becomes a huge gain as one could buy the truck and turn around and sell it at a profit. If the price has fallen/stayed then you can just get the $100 back. Sounds too good to be true.

I think it is reasonable to conclude that this truck will come with new wiring system and that is a contributor to the lower price. Maybe a hundred hundred meters of wire vs hundreds more for competitors. Delivers reduced cost and improved robotic fabrication.

Tesla also has a patent on self inflating tires that would be a nice option.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lasairfion
It means you can apply a consistent pulling force even at zero speed for an extended time to get the load rolling.

If you have a constant pulling force and are at zero speed for an extended time, you'll probably be at zero speed forever.;)
If you get any non zero speed, then you'll accelerate the load up untill losses equal force.

Then there is the use of momentum and the tow line compliance. If you can build speed before the line is fully stretched, then that impulse can break static friction. Trains sometimes reverse to put slack between all the cars before accelerating.

Edit typo and errent emoji

Last edited:
If you have a constant pulling force and are at zero speed for an extended time, you'll probably be at zero speed forever.;)
If you get any non zero speed, then you'll accelerate the load up untill losses equal force.
:cool:
Then there is the use of momentum and the tow line compliance. If you can build speed before the line is fully stretched, then that impulse can break static friction. Trains somestines reverse to put slack between all the cars before accelerating.
Usually at a crossing.

• Funny
Reactions: Artful Dodger
If you are going to tow big loads long distances plan on get then $70,000 model and hope to be pleasantly surprised..
Even if that 500 miles of range comes down to something like 350, that is still workable for nearly all trips.
I am wondering if this is going to be the surprise. And this is all pie in the sky thoughts but.....
What does Tesla say about the Semi’s range and pulling a load? What do we know there?

The new Roadster gets 500 miles on one pack right?
What if CT gets 300 (truck loaded and pulling) miles on one pack and 500 miles on two packs?

So 250+ mile on a towing and loaded truck with the new 120kW battery.
300+ miles on a towing and loaded truck with the new 200kW battery
500+ miles on a towing and loaded truck with one 120kW and one 200kW batteries together.
(One battery may run the front motor and the other the back two)

Racy thoughts but I bet that would do it...... but cost....

• Disagree
Reactions: Doggydogworld
So 250+ mile on a towing and loaded truck with the new 120kW battery.
300+ miles on a towing and loaded truck with the new 200kW battery
500+ miles on a towing and loaded truck with one 120kW and one 200kW batteries together.
(One battery may run the front motor and the other the back two)

Racy thoughts but I bet that would do it...... but cost....

I think something like this is likely and will require substantial drops in the cost of battery production. Hopefully, this means they are confident that the new Maxwell DBE and Hibar production can get them there.

With regard to the 250+ kW charging, I think you are right to think of these as separate battery packs. Many Deisel semi-trucks will have dual fuel tanks, which can be fuelled on each side, or both at the same time. I imagine for trailering tesla Cybertrucks with the dual-stacked battery packs, there will be the option to plug in to each side at V3 superchargers, allowing for nearly 500 kW peak charge rates.

Teslarati is reporting that there is a pass-through from the cab to the bed.

Top 10 Tesla Cybertruck hidden features you may have missed

This does not seem correct to me. I think it is more likely access to a storage area behind the rear seats or access to the bed cover mechanism (for service).

I can't quite imagine how the mechanical cover for the bed would allow a pass-through. That would require the cover roll to be above the pass-through portal. It does not work out as I see it.

It would be convenient to have access to climate services (heat/AC) if sleeping in the bed and it would be interesting to have crawl-through access as well but I can't quite fathom how that would be possible with the mechanical cover mechanism.

Am I missing something?

• Informative
Reactions: Cohiba
It would be convenient to have access to climate services (heat/AC) if sleeping in the bed and it would be interesting to have crawl-through access as well but I can't quite fathom how that would be possible with the mechanical cover mechanism.

Am I missing something?

Only that the cover completely retracts and rolls up under the cab. So if you are using the pass-through you can't open/close the vault cover. (And maybe you couldn't use it at all if the vault cover is closed.)

Only that the cover completely retracts and rolls up under the cab. So if you are using the pass-through you can't open/close the vault cover. (And maybe you couldn't use it at all if the vault cover is closed.)

If I have a 10' 2x6 and I want to use the pass-through, I would be able to retract the cover and stick the 2x6 through but I would not be able to use the cover after that so what ever is in the bed would be exposed. And any water in the bed sloshing around might get into the cab unless there is a 4-6" shoulder in the bed below the pass-through.

Maybe by dropping the tailgate I could use the pass-through with the bed cover in place?

Seems like the pass-through would require a reduced size rear window in the cab to work very well. I really like the concept of a crawl-through if it could be worked out.

Teslarati is reporting that there is a pass-through from the cab to the bed.

Top 10 Tesla Cybertruck hidden features you may have missed

This does not seem correct to me. I think it is more likely access to a storage area behind the rear seats or access to the bed cover mechanism (for service).

I can't quite imagine how the mechanical cover for the bed would allow a pass-through. That would require the cover roll to be above the pass-through portal. It does not work out as I see it.

Am I missing something?
The interior bed shot on Tesla's web page doesn't show any sign of an opening.

That shot also shows that the front end of the bed angles rearward, presumably to accommodate the rear seat tilt. I wonder if that takes a few inches off the 6.5 foot length?

Reactions: mongo