Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

All US Cars capable of FSD will be enabled for one month trial this week

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So much for the theory that people outside of major, well mapped cities aren't getting it because Tesla is waiting for better maps.
In Seattle, my friend group is only up to 2/10 cars that have it.
Tesla is nearby and has used our road for development.

Any legitimate system needs better modeling of the road surface. It also drove us over a huge dip that most drivers avoid. My BMW actually warns of rough surfaces and speed bumps ahead.

After some trial uses, I find that supervising FSDS is more stressful than just driving in moderate traffic situations.

This is because my normal driving style is to try to maintain large distances from other traffic to give more maneuvering room, better sight lines, and more time to react to dangerous situations developing nearby. This includes trying to maintain larger following distances and avoiding driving next to others when possible. FSDS does not do this to the extent that I do (even when it is in chill mode), so supervising it means being on heightened alert more of the time.

I used this today for the first time and it was very advanced compared to Autopilot. Lane changes with indicator, gets up to speed even on moderate setting, made a safe left turn into the Starbucks. Great 1st test drive for 2 miles on a 55 mph roadway in the city.
I tried this over the last few days and am extremely impressed. I fully feel that my last experience with FSDb about a year ago was like a driver with their learners permit (at best.) Now I think my car has improved to the point of a new driver who just got their license.

Almost all of the objectionable behavior is gone and I have had a few amazing no-intervention drives since trying it. It also cut a corner too close in a least a dozen circumstances, so I corrected those to train the NN. Most impressive is highway 17 between Santa Cruz and Los Gatos. FSDS is able to drive the whole thing without my needing to press the accelerator or correct any steering. My only input was to use the blinker to get around a semi when I saw a hole in traffic.

I bought FSDb for my last Tesla on $2k fire sale and I am 100% sure the current price will go up after a month or so. Both my wife and I think it is worth the $6k over EAP that we currently have. I will give it another couple of weeks before I decide, but I am leaning in for sure.

Most impressive is highway 17 between Santa Cruz and Los Gatos. FSDS is able to drive the whole thing without my needing to press the accelerator or correct any steering. My only input was to use the blinker to get around a semi when I saw a hole in traffic.
I was there a year ago in a rental Tesla with just basic AP and it did fine on Highway 17. If you stay between the lines that's success. What's special about how "FSD" handles this?

Reactions: Jigglypuff
I used this today for the first time and it was very advanced compared to Autopilot. Lane changes with indicator, gets up to speed even on moderate setting, made a safe left turn into the Starbucks. Great 1st test drive for 2 miles on a 55 mph roadway in the city.

I've been using the trial daily for the last few days, have about 300 miles driven on FSD 12.3.3 by now, and I still get impressed with every drive. It's scary good. Today I only had one disengagement and honestly it probably would have navigated the intersection just fine but I got nervous and took over. I'm still not used to how good it drives, LOL!

It's not Robotaxi good yet, but its very, VERY close. It will be interesting to see if the fast progress continues with the next few updates or if the pace slows down.

That said I'm still not going to spend $12K on this. I use the free Autopilot all the time, and I'd love to have FSD, but for me (someone who doesn't mind tending to Autopilot on the road) its just not worth that much money, the value for me isn't worth the price tag. If it was $5K and nag free I'd buy it today hands down, in an instant.

I was there a year ago in a rental Tesla with just basic AP and it did fine on Highway 17. If you stay between the lines that's success. What's special about how "FSD" handles this?
The biggest difference between the old AP stack and the FSD stack on the freeway is how it handles cut-ins and cut-outs. The old AP code tended to "panic" on them and slow down considerably until the other car completed the move. FSD makes it much more smooth, especially cut-outs.

If this turns out to be a ploy to get folks like me to upgrade from 2023.44.1, I'm going to be pissed.
The f'ers got me. Despite my 2019 having the "full self driving computer" it's not actually FSD capable. I read in another thread that Tesla meant to say that it's actually just for cars with the selfie camera. Nice trick to get me off the pre-nag-ridden 44.1 I'd been holding onto since December. I figured I'd have it installed later this year when I take the car in for service, but I was hoping to get something for it in the meantime.

Staying between the lines is the most basic of successes. The most objectionable issues camp up when going around a sharp turn, typically labeled 40 mph advisory.

The old behavior was to slow down for the turn but to do it much too late and too large of a speed delta in just a second. It was unsettling to the riders and to traffic behind. The addition of brakes at the turn entry also caused suspension compression so the bump steer would send the car further wide in the turn. It was quite unsettling. I typically set my speed to 58-60 and it would often slow abruptly to 42 for the slowest turns. Also those turns felt like a series of decisions, so the wheel would take a set, then jerk to a new set, again and again as if the curve had no smoothing.

The new behavior is to maintain overall slightly lower speed, but now to maintain that speed through most corners. The application of brakes if any comes very slowly and sooner that the turn event itself, so the suspension is already compressing by the time the car is turning. Through the turn itself it feels like 1 smooth curve with minor adjustments instead of a series of points connected by straight lines.

The old behavior was to constantly shift maximum set speeds, depending on the FSD stack (most of 17) or the highway stack (at each end) I found myself constantly trying to adjust the speed to the point of absuditity. Now I have no control of the speed over 17 itself (fsd stack uses MAX settings), but because the driving is smooth and with the flow of traffic I don't feel the need to change it either. The car will go about 15-17 mph over the limit max, but more often cruises about 7-8 mph over the limit,a nd slows down or speeds up with traffic or danger.

The biggest objection is that it wants to cut the corners, and that sometimes it will catch the Truck 35 mph speed limit and misapply that. Still even showing 35 max, it was cruising at 52mph until I applied the accelerator to override the slower speed.

It no longer wants to select any given lane at any time. It really seems to track both fast and slow lanes speed very well and merge into the fast lane only when needed. Then it smoothly merges back into the slow lane. No longer is it getting into the fast lane, then slowing for a corner and getting passed on the right.

When it is time to zipper merge, it is now aggressive without being too extreme, very much like an average human merging.

The f'ers got me. Despite my 2019 having the "full self driving computer" it's not actually FSD capable.
Head over here and consider taking Tesla to small claims or arbitration. Tesla sold you a car that is FSD capable, yet it clearly is not ("All FSD capable cars are getting it").

I read in another thread that Tesla meant to say that it's actually just for cars with the selfie camera.
Can you link to this? Elon was clear that it's for all FSD capable cars.

• Helpful
Reactions: Vines
"The f'ers got me. Despite my 2019 having the "full self driving computer" it's not actually FSD capable. I read in another thread that Tesla meant to say that it's actually just for cars with the selfie camera. Nice trick to get me off the pre-nag-ridden 44.1 I'd been holding onto since December. I figured I'd have it installed later this year when I take the car in for service, but I was hoping to get something for it in the meantime."

Well that explains why I haven't received this trial for my 2018 Model X...

• Funny
Reactions: CyberShy
Head over here and consider taking Tesla to small claims or arbitration. Tesla sold you a car that is FSD capable, yet it clearly is not ("All FSD capable cars are getting it").

Can you link to this? Elon was clear that it's for all FSD capable cars.
My car has EAP and I have no interest in having the car drive itself on secondary streets so I have no interest in buying FSD. I'm just miffed that I was tricked into upgrading off the superior legacy software version earlier than I'd planned to get a free sample of what everyone seems to be clucking about. In the world of things to be annoyed about, it's still kind of small, but it's still kind of shitty.

It's in the one about legacy cars getting FSD.

I did a 300 mile round trip yesterday. I had to disengage FSD(S) multiple times, mostly for minor reasons, but one time it tried to change lanes in heavy stop & go freeway traffic with very low gap between two cars. Sadly I could not provide feedback at that disengagement.

But other trivial disengagements were in interesting scenarios.

1. FSD(S) is very aggressive in not being in the left lane. On a freeway with two lanes, its always very happy to be on the right most lane (as it should be). But in a 3 lane freeway, it mostly prefers the middle lane. However, my goal was to be in the left most lane which is a carpool lane. But FSD somehow does not realize its a carpool lane and kept trying to get me to the center or righter lanes.
2. In a couple of places, when the speed limit changed due to construction later in the night, FSD(S) would just drop my speed from 70 to 55, when the traffic was flowing at >70. This got me a couple of honks due to the abrupt slowdown in a center lane.
3. In at least one case, FSD(S) was too late to shift to the right lane and with just about a quarter mile to the exit, i had to take control.

But otherwise its been great. I like that its very cautious at stop signs and very humanlike by creeping forward after a stop sign and then accelerating. I have acceleration set to chill, so I did not see any of the hard acceleration that many complained about.

This was a big WTF day for me. I got the email about FSD trial but could never have imagined this was not an opt in. I thought I was putting my car in TA cruise control, as usual, and had NO idea the damn car was going to be in FSD without my knowledge or consent in heavy traffic. I'm not young and no need to live dangerously. This should have been an OPT IN feature, not something done without my consent or knowledge. I immediately took it out of "TACC" and tried again thinking I must have pressed the right stalk incorrectly. I've owned this car long enough to realize Tesla has forced another bad control-freak "feature" on me. No doubt this won't be a popular post. I'm ready to post to my local neighborhood to beware of Teslas in this next month. No Full Suicide Driving for me at this point. When the software folks can fix basic stuff (chime on green light correct, windshield wipers off in sunny weather and on in rain, phantom braking, auto-steer keeping my on the freeway and in a lane to name a few major problems) then might consider FSD. UNTIL THEN the general public should be warned!

Reactions: Jigglypuff