Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another $5k price increase for LR MS……

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla's gotta pay off that battery settlement somehow, $600 and change per car in the USA and $16K for each one in Norway.
Or the "hold" issue on the Model S is costing more to fix.
Or Elon lost his ass on Dogecoins.
Or the dart hit the "$5K" spot on the dart board.

I'd rather pay Jason $5K for a battery upgrade than pay Elon an extra $5K he doesn't need for a new LR.

Is it only 5k for a battery upgrade from Jason? I'll do that for my 75D if I can get a real 90 or higher (newer cooling/chemistry). Simply gaining 2 more modules of the current design isn't that great of an upgrade.

The whole company is basically sold out for the rest of the year. New Model S orders are estimated to arrive between January (Plaid) and March (LR), so almost every car they deliver this year is already locked in to the old pricing.

You can still buy your way to the front of the 3/Y line if you're willing to pony up for a Performance model, but the base models show November or December delivery, and let's be honest, even that might not happen given the way things are.

They clearly have a buyer for every car they can produce... like @brkaus said, make hay while you can.
I disagree with this thought process completely. Just because Tesla is supposedly "sold out" through the end of the year needs to be put in to context. Tesla sells in one year what major brands sell in 2 months. Yes, you can say they technically sell more cars than they can build, but that doesn't mean there is unbelievable demand. If they had the capacity to build a couple million cars a year, do you think they would be sold out? It just means they are very limited in their production. Not necessarily a bad thing since they are still relatively new. People just need to stop making it seem like there is this unbelievable demand for Tesla. There is demand, but compare that demand with the Toyota Tacoma or any other legacy car manufacturer's go-to model and it's just peanuts. I like my Model S, but also don't live in the Tesla fanboy bubble. I was looking at adding a Model Y to the stable, but the constant price increases only show the rash thought processes of the company and keeps the money in my pocket.

I disagree with this thought process completely. Just because Tesla is supposedly "sold out" through the end of the year needs to be put in to context. Tesla sells in one year what major brands sell in 2 months. Yes, you can say they technically sell more cars than they can build, but that doesn't mean there is unbelievable demand. If they had the capacity to build a couple million cars a year, do you think they would be sold out? It just means they are very limited in their production. Not necessarily a bad thing since they are still relatively new. People just need to stop making it seem like there is this unbelievable demand for Tesla. There is demand, but compare that demand with the Toyota Tacoma or any other legacy car manufacturer's go-to model and it's just peanuts. I like my Model S, but also don't live in the Tesla fanboy bubble. I was looking at adding a Model Y to the stable, but the constant price increases only show the rash thought processes of the company and keeps the money in my pocket.
Cool.

You're welcome to completely disagree with the "thought process" of supply and demand, but your beef is not with me. Blame the economists.

Nobody inside or outside of Tesla cares about the "context" that Toyota makes more Tacomas. It's fully irrelevant to the discussion. I wonder what sort of rash thought process Toyota would employ if their ability to crank out trucks was somehow constrained?

Last edited:
totally disagree. Why would you compare Tesla to Tacoma? Why not compared to even Corolla? Totally different segments and price range. iirc, model s outsold BMW 7 series and s class

Just fyi I do have a Plaid delivering next week if anyone wants it. Long story but I don't need it now but don't need to sell so not a fire sale. I am not sure what is fair price for a Blue, Black Int, Wood trim, 21" wheels and NO FSD car. Thoughts on that? Located in Charlotte, NC area.

Just fyi I do have a Plaid delivering next week if anyone wants it. Long story but I don't need it now but don't need to sell so not a fire sale. I am not sure what is fair price for a Blue, Black Int, Wood trim, 21" wheels and NO FSD car. Thoughts on that? Located in Charlotte, NC area.
Post that same post in the big 2000 page thread at the top of the forum, and most likely you will get PM's from interested buyers at your full purchase price within an hour

I have an MS LR reserved for an October delivery priced at $79,990. I'm tempted to buy it and sell my 17 P100D that I bought in May for $72,800. Similar perfomance, more range & adaptive suspension.
Its my understanding that the biggest advantage is that the LR doesnt lose its high speed acceleration punch like the P100D does once you hit around what, 70 or 80+? Also Ive seen where the refresh's appear to not have as much dropoff in acceleration at lower SOC's.

And when I compared the interior quality of the refresh over my 2017 S? Massive difference in build quality. Oh, and the dual pane glass on the refresh..and better sound system...and...

Tesla's gotta pay off that battery settlement somehow, $600 and change per car in the USA and $16K for each one in Norway.
Or the "hold" issue on the Model S is costing more to fix.
Or Elon lost his ass on Dogecoins.
Or the dart hit the "$5K" spot on the dart board.

I'd rather pay Jason $5K for a battery upgrade than pay Elon an extra $5K he doesn't need for a new LR.
$5K ?? last check, it was $20K. Must have really gotten the process dialed in.

$5K ?? last check, it was $20K. Must have really gotten the process dialed in.
As I understand it from his previous postings, it's highly dependent on what you're starting with and what you want to upgrade to. He appears to try and give reasonable credit for the battery he's taking back from you, whereas Tesla just pretends that old busted battery is worth nothing and ends up in the scrap heap.

Reactions: BigNick