Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another AutoPilot Easter Egg NOT!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When 90mph is hit with AP engaged you will lose AP for the rest of the drive

@Samjor7777 that was the point of this thread
Ah, well that wasn't made clear. It sounded like when you hit the accelerator above your autopilot setpoint, you'd get kicked out.

I'm less pissed about this than I was about what I thought this thread was about.

Carry on. I suspect this is a bug. Report it to Tesla, if it's intentional then grab the torches.

The warning message explicitly states "Driver Exceeded Autopilot Max Speed," so this is obviously intentional.
The lockout might not be intentional.

And before you come back and say "but look, it says that now AP is locked out until next time you restart", I can read. Those could be two separate messages, two separate testes, and the coder screwed up and didn't test every combination possible. And it's 100% plausible, given that slacker would cut off the last 40 seconds of the first song played EVERY time the car restarted, among other older bugs that were introduced.

So I stand by comment. Call Tesla, email Tesla, tweet Elon, do something. If it's intentional, I'll be right there with you holding the torches.

ETA: Though I do see your point. They still intentionally changed the above 90mph use case. And that seems intentional. I'm not convinced the lock out is intentional.

I would turn this argument around and ask you what possible increase in safety can come from disabling AP after a speed excursion above 90 mph?

To me it's obviously a bug or an oversight.

If I run into the problem I'll report it to Tesla as if it's a bug because there are places/circumstances that you need to exceed the autopilot speed briefly. It makes no difference to me why it's in place because clearly it's not regulatory related. Sure it's part of a potentially regulatory related lockout, but it's a separate trigger.

I really hope that those of you that are claiming about it have emailed Tesla. There is no point complaining about it here if you haven't.

I'm still hoping to hear from someone in Germany to see what it does there.

Reactions: mblakele
I certainly do "hope" all you guys that are convinced that it is a bug are right, but I am sensing from experiencing it and the display messages being so clear...That It is locked in. :(

Look back at post #20. It is abundantly clear it was intentional and not a mistake

Last edited:
There are roads here in Texas that have an 85mph speed limit. It wouldn't be out of the question to have to accelerate briefly to avoid somebody on the road. Locking you out of AP until your next stop in such a situation is disturbing to say the least...
Exactly! So now I would have the extra cognitive burden to disengage AP before hitting 90 MPH. Of all the newer restrictions, this one makes the least sense to me. I can't see how it makes any sense at all.

I would turn this argument around and ask you what possible increase in safety can come from disabling AP after a speed excursion above 90 mph?

I was thinking about this and came up with one idea. It's highly speculative, but... what if, with AutoSteer engaged, the driver had a stroke or seizure resulting in flooring the go pedal while continuing to grip the wheel? What if Tesla or NHTSA has evidence suggesting that this contributed to the fatality in the USA earlier this year?

Yes, it sounds unlikely. And it isn't a risk I'd spend a lot of time trying to prevent. But then again I may not have all the facts.

I was thinking about this and came up with one idea. It's highly speculative, but... what if, with AutoSteer engaged, the driver had a stroke or seizure resulting in flooring the go pedal while continuing to grip the wheel? What if Tesla or NHTSA has evidence suggesting that this contributed to the fatality in the USA earlier this year?

Yes, it sounds unlikely. And it isn't a risk I'd spend a lot of time trying to prevent. But then again I may not have all the facts.
What if exactly the same thing happened without AP. They'd be dead, and the car would go out of control. With AP at least they have a chance as the car can keep them from slamming in to other things which an unconscious driver can not do.

Your argument is an argument for more permissive use of AP, not more restrictive.

I'm ready to wait and see what happens after owners complain, this very well could change. But to answer your question, Tesla clearly has limited AP to operating below the 90 mph threshold, and apparently has made this clear in communications to owners (is this true?), so if a scenario arises when a Tesla is accelerated to speeds greater than 90 while in AP, the car interprets that as a situation it cannot handle and forces the driver to take over. At this point in the development of AP, it could be argued that attentive drivers are actually safer in most scenarios than AP. So that's the increase I see.

Yes, AP helps reduce the driver's workload in the right conditions, and could actually save less than attentive drivers in the right conditions. I'm a fan.

What if exactly the same thing happened without AP. They'd be dead, and the car would go out of control. With AP at least they have a chance as the car can keep them from slamming in to other things which an unconscious driver can not do.

Your argument is an argument for more permissive use of AP, not more restrictive.

Actually, I think what we'd want to happen is that AP determines that flat out throttle is not appropriate for the conditions and intervenes on behalf of the driver, slowing the car to the legal speed limit. You could call that more permissive; some might call it more intrusive use of AP.

Trying to catch up...Questions...

1) Will AP lock out while engaged and you forcibly exceed 90 MPH -OR- will AP lock out while engaged and you forcibly exceed the speed limit? Either way will suck, just means I'll have to pull over on the freeway every now and then to get it to re-engage. Might be dangerous?

2) Does AP allow you to set any speed (up to 90 MPH) on a freeway?

3) Does AP allow you to set any speed, up to 5 MPH faster than speed limit on a highway/road?

Trying to catch up...Questions...

1) Will AP lock out while engaged and you forcibly exceed 90 MPH -OR- will AP lock out while engaged and you forcibly exceed the speed limit? Either way will suck, just means I'll have to pull over on the freeway every now and then to get it to re-engage. Might be dangerous?

2) Does AP allow you to set any speed (up to 90 MPH) on a freeway?

3) Does AP allow you to set any speed, up to 5 MPH faster than speed limit on a highway/road?
1) Former
2) Yes if it's divided, speed limit if it's not
3) Not anymore. They changed it to be +0 in one of the recent updates.

Enough is enough.

autopilot-speed-restirction-ridiculous.jpg

It's one thing when it misreads a sign. It's another when it completely knows the speed limit, on a divided highway, and all of a sudden the car starts decelerating for no reason forcing an override with the go pedal. This is a safety hazard.

It's one thing when it misreads a sign. It's another when it completely knows the speed limit, on a divided highway, and all of a sudden the car starts decelerating for no reason forcing an override with the go pedal. This is a safety hazard.

This is precisely what I have been saying for some time now, though primarily about the car slowing down on non-divided roads with incorrect speed limit data.

More recently in the UK the car slowing unexpectedly when a car in the ajecent lane slows due to traffic to prevent "undertaking".
This particular one really is nuts, fortunately for you guys in the US you dont have this particular restriction apparently

With this new sw it appears that there are ever more circumstances where the car will unexpectedly decelerate.

Unexpected deceleration is a safety issue.

You can always argue that vehicles following should be able to slow/stop, and whilst technically true, the reality is that in the real world drivers adjust their distance according to speed/traffic density and perceived risk. Slowing abruptly (with no brake lights -tbc) for no obvious reason is defintely not a common perceived risk, and as as the traffic bunches up behind as following drivers overreact distances close to the point where some poor sod gets caught out.

Not sure if this is the exact scenario, but in Australiawe can set autopilot higher than posted speed, and accelerate through it (see pic for higher setting, but not road speed).

Attachments

• IMG_3469.JPG
    IMG_3469.JPG
    256.1 KB · Views: 71