Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Another "help me chose a Model S configuration" thread

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey! First time posting here. I'm a Model 3 reservation holder but I reserved it just a couple of months ago so I'd most likely have to wait for a one a long time. I can't wait that long and I need a car so a Model S it is then. When Tesla announced the AP 2.0 suite, I knew I had to get a Tesla.

Anyways, here I am. I'm sure there are tons of threads about Model S configurations but I thought to make another so I can get input on my specific needs.

First of all, colour (silver), roof (glass), EAP, sub-zero and wheels (stock) are decided so I won't need input on those. :p

Battery size: 60 or 90? I'm not entertaining getting the 75 because of the poor value of it. For 60: price, can charge to 100% more often, faster charge to said 100%. For 90: quicker, faster supercharging, longer range. Going from 60 to 90 is a huge price hike and while I can afford it, it means I need to work more for the deposit and I'll have less money to save because of the higher monthly payment. My usual travel distances are short, but occasionally going for trips about 200km one way (with possibility of charging at the destination). I do entertain the thought of doing a road trip in a Tesla in continental Europe.

If 60, 60 or 60D:
Sure, we get a lot of snow and ice here but people drive RWD cars here fine. The quicker 0-100 time and (marginally) better range does sound tempting as does the (most likely) higher resell value. On the other had the D does cost a lot when you think about it.

Premium package or not: This is a bit tricky as although I do like the things it adds, the value of it seems poor especially when I need to get leather with it. I'll be checking the differences at Tesla on the weekend.

Interior: I used to like leather because of its ease of cleaning and longevity when properly maintained but nowadays I don't like how leather isn't very ecological. Most likely I'd get leather only if I get the premium pack as then the seats would be ventilated eliminating the one con of leather or syth. leather.

Air suspension: The Model S I had for a weekend had SAS and it rode nicely and smoothly. I did use the GPS raising although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have needed it. More of a peace of mind thing when going over bumps. I'm most likely going to skip this especially if the steel coil ones ride as nice (gonna test drive this weekend).

HiFi: Probably going to skip this one. I like listening to music but my source materials is 320 kbps MP3s tops and I haven't heard that this option is a must-have. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

High power charger: Meh, most likely would be nice to have for when there's just a 22kW type 2 but I can always get it later.

So, feel free to chime in your opinions. I'm am (somewhat) a tabula rasa here so give it your best shot. ;)

Whatever battery size you pick, go with the D. 2 motors instead of one, better traction control, more efficient, more faster and better resale value

22kW type 2? As in Level 2 charging stations? Wow. You guys have an advantage it seems with your crazy 240 V everywhere. :)
Over here, L2 is 6.6kW 99% of the time.
Yes. Charging from a normal household plug is around 2,3kW. L2s usually range from 6,6 to 22 kW. Usually the places that have DCFC have a 22 kW type 2 plug also.

I realized that because I went with the 60, I might need the high power charger for when a DC charger is unavailable. Might save me some time when that happens so I added it to my order. :)

• Informative
Reactions: e-FTW
Hey! First time posting here. I'm a Model 3 reservation holder but I reserved it just a couple of months ago so I'd most likely have to wait for a one a long time. I can't wait that long and I need a car so a Model S it is then. When Tesla announced the AP 2.0 suite, I knew I had to get a Tesla.

Anyways, here I am. I'm sure there are tons of threads about Model S configurations but I thought to make another so I can get input on my specific needs.

First of all, colour (silver), roof (glass), EAP, sub-zero and wheels (stock) are decided so I won't need input on those. :p

Battery size: 60 or 90? I'm not entertaining getting the 75 because of the poor value of it. For 60: price, can charge to 100% more often, faster charge to said 100%. For 90: quicker, faster supercharging, longer range. Going from 60 to 90 is a huge price hike and while I can afford it, it means I need to work more for the deposit and I'll have less money to save because of the higher monthly payment. My usual travel distances are short, but occasionally going for trips about 200km one way (with possibility of charging at the destination). I do entertain the thought of doing a road trip in a Tesla in continental Europe.

If 60, 60 or 60D:
Sure, we get a lot of snow and ice here but people drive RWD cars here fine. The quicker 0-100 time and (marginally) better range does sound tempting as does the (most likely) higher resell value. On the other had the D does cost a lot when you think about it.

Premium package or not: This is a bit tricky as although I do like the things it adds, the value of it seems poor especially when I need to get leather with it. I'll be checking the differences at Tesla on the weekend.

Interior: I used to like leather because of its ease of cleaning and longevity when properly maintained but nowadays I don't like how leather isn't very ecological. Most likely I'd get leather only if I get the premium pack as then the seats would be ventilated eliminating the one con of leather or syth. leather.

Air suspension: The Model S I had for a weekend had SAS and it rode nicely and smoothly. I did use the GPS raising although I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have needed it. More of a peace of mind thing when going over bumps. I'm most likely going to skip this especially if the steel coil ones ride as nice (gonna test drive this weekend).

HiFi: Probably going to skip this one. I like listening to music but my source materials is 320 kbps MP3s tops and I haven't heard that this option is a must-have. Feel free to convince me otherwise.

High power charger: Meh, most likely would be nice to have for when there's just a 22kW type 2 but I can always get it later.

So, feel free to chime in your opinions. I'm am (somewhat) a tabula rasa here so give it your best shot. ;)

My choices were 60D, upgraded seats, EAP, premium upgrades, panoramic or glass roof. I have high fi and winter pkg because cpo had it.

Hmm you are out of country. Have you looked at the spreadsheet for members tracking their car orders? Model S Delivery Update (Post #2, second link for the Google spreadsheet) You can tab through the various quarters for past and present orders. There's a column for Days from Confirm to Production Start that should give you an idea (also note the country designation). Hope you're on your way soon.

Hmm, still hasn't gotten into production. How long does it usually take for the car to enter production (after confirming the order or getting the VIN)?

Mostly likely will be built very late March/Early April. That way they can get it on a ship and count the sale in Q2. Current production slots are likely going to people that can have them in their hands by end of the quarter.

This, of course, is just a guess.