Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have they done that with the other changes? I still see inventory with the old console, and no heated steering.
Not sure. We’re all guessing. I’m sure that existing inventory with no heated steering wheel and old console is just a handful at this point. If they were smart, they’d have some kind of calculation of inventory before they implement the change and let it get out into the wild. At least, the investor in me hopes so. Otherwise, they’ll be stuck with a lot of old headlights on Y’s that people reject.

At least, the investor in me hopes so. Otherwise, they’ll be stuck with a lot of old headlights on Y’s that people reject.
I think the average buyer isn't sufficiently informed to notice, care, or understand the difference. They still haven't deployed the software to enable any improvement, and in the US regulation still needs to change. So no hurry to push that in the US.

I think the average buyer isn't sufficiently informed to notice, care, or understand the difference. They still haven't deployed the software to enable any improvement, and in the US regulation still needs to change. So no hurry to push that in the US.
Yeah, many don't realize that Active Matrix lights are not new (European cars have had them for years), just not available in the US due to regulation. There is no foreseeable changes in the regulation. The new one is not even adaptive, which is legal in the US. Other than look, there really isn't much difference in performance. Clearly, it doesn't look that much difference to the "average" person since there are so many post asking if they had new headlights.

Is the features enable in Canada then? Do we have all features that the Europeans have? I know I have the new headlights but didn’t have a chance to drive it at night yet.

Hope you're not in a hurry. Might as well leave it as LR RWD as the likelihood of that happening before the new lights come in is pretty even. And you'd get the new lights with the RWD if that is the case.

Yeah I have thought about that, but I might as well lock in the AWD pricing now as I am guessing RWD will be slightly cheaper than what I have it at now so if it does come out, I can probably switch back if necessary.

Hope you're not in a hurry. Might as well leave it as LR RWD as the likelihood of that happening before the new lights come in is pretty even. And you'd get the new lights with the RWD if that is the case.
Updated my order and it is on hold until September for some reason so I have plenty of time.... At least I locked in the price of $49,990 as I probably could have updated a few weeks ago prior to the increase at $48,990 and still be on hold..

You requested it to be on hold til September? Or Tesla specified that once you ordered?
I ordered 2 years ago for LR RWD and I just updated my order today to LR AWD via the editor and my order automatically stated it was on hold until Sept. so no need for me to call in to have it manually on hold.. It is just interesting how the LR RWD order was actually on hold until Sept.

Latest comment from the sales guy here in Dallas, “As I've heard, there are no plans for the Long Range Model Y to get new headlights.” Who knows? At this point I’m mainly waiting to see what happens with the federal incentives. If the new lights finally make it to the LR — great, icing on the cake!

Latest comment from the sales guy here in Dallas, “As I've heard, there are no plans for the Long Range Model Y to get new headlights.” Who knows? At this point I’m mainly waiting to see what happens with the federal incentives. If the new lights finally make it to the LR — great, icing on the cake!
I heard the exact same comment in January from a sales person at the Toronto SC regarding a heated steering wheel on the Model Y.

Reactions: casey1202
Vin 163,xxx. No new headlights. Produced 3/31/21. Don't have a picture of them yet but trust me, if they were new I’d be bragging about them. Even though I don’t think we’ll see them for a long time on the MY (non P).

1617426793020.jpeg