Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The posts above have people saying the service center says it is not possible, but has anyone tried?

Im pretty sure the service center never looked into this. As far as connector I can confirm it’s the same as the older headlights. Please refer to my picture including one that has the part number of the newer headlight.
Part number is in the parts catalog. Has been there for a few months.
1627427911405.png

Service centers are not independent mechanics. They can only put on the same parts the car came with and only replace with something different if the old part is no longer available. Legacy auto makers‘ service departments are the same.

There is 0 data saying the new lights put out more light. In fact, it is likely they put out the exact same. The only difference is how the matrix features distribute that light in regions where it is possible to do so.

They won’t work without the proper software. You will get an error message when after you plug them in. Beware.
Even if you can convince a mobile tech to upload software to enable them, they will stop working at your next software update. Updates are tied to your vin and only features you have paid for are enabled. Since your car did not come with matrix lights, it will not be allowed in the software. Someone tried this with footwell lights if I remember correctly.

But there’s also 0 data as of now if harness did really change inside the model 3 light output interior (If I'm wrong my bad). I’m just glad @hchu0304 is experimenting for us just to see let us know if it works or not.

Also is it for sure matrix lights? because didn't Tesla recently signed a new deal with Samsung to include pixel lights? The current global lights prolly don't have Samsung chip

Even if you can convince a mobile tech to upload software to enable them, they will stop working at your next software update. Updates are tied to your vin and only features you have paid for are enabled. Since your car did not come with matrix lights, it will not be allowed in the software. Someone tried this with footwell lights if I remember correctly.
Exactly. The USDOT hasn’t approved laser or matrix (active zones) headlights. Only highbeam lights with this functionality are allowed (for now).

I just had a tech come out today to replace one old style light on my 2018 Model 3. To do it, he told me he "had to update the software, or else the indicators would not be working." This doesn't mean my lights now won't work any more after the next general software update.

Last edited:
I didn't get to take out the whole headlight, only the frunk liner to get to the headlight plug. I can confirm its the same plug. when I tried to turn on the headlights it did not turn on. will try other attempts. not sure if its a possibility of a bad ballast, which im not sure how I can test. Open to opinions.
You may have to call Tesla Service to help you with the software side of it. Tesla is legally obliged to help you, per the "Right To Repair" law. Tesla service charged someone with a similar issue for 30 minutes work to register the new hardware.
*** Thank you for pioneering this! The Tesla Owners community salutes you!!! ***

Reactions: hchu0304
You may have to call Tesla Service to help you with the software side of it. Tesla is legally obliged to help you, per the "Right To Repair" law. Tesla service charged someone with a similar issue for 30 minutes work to register the new hardware.
*** Thank you for pioneering this! The Tesla Owners community salutes you!!! ***
I have a scheduled appointment on Monday (the 9th), maybe ill just install them and have them update the software side of it. hmmmm...

Yeah but I'm talking about brightness, spread, and cutoff, not matrix features.
Brightness is similar since both have LED as light source. Reflector headlights generally have wider spread. Protector headlights do have sharp cutoff due to focusing lens, but this is more for the benefit of people looking at you seeing less glare. I have cars with projector and reflector LED headlights. I can't really say which is better from the driver's seat.

Reactions: Yoliber
I just had a tech come out today to replace one old style light on my 2018 Model 3. To do it, he told me he "had to update the software, or else the indicators would not be working." This doesn't mean my lights now won't work any more after the next general software update.
You didn’t switch out your old style light for a new light that didn’t come with the car. Therefore the software update will be coded for your old style light so it will Work after the next update. It is only when you swap in non stock parts that the next update will brick them. If you don’t want an update to brick a part, call Tesla and ask to buy the part from them and have them install it. In this case, Tesla WILL NOT sell you the global lights, install them and update your car software so they work. Even if you offer to pay full price for parts and labor, they WILL NOT do this ever, unless it becomes a legal issue (all headlights have to be matrix which will NEVER happen in the US).