Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because before Giga China, all model 3s for europe were produced in Fremont. To save switching parts and wiring harnesses, they made them all the same so the only change needed was programming language and units of measure along with which type of license plate bracket to add, all easy to do on the assembly line. They could pick any random car off the line and send to any country (at least for lhd).

How come all Model 3's have the matrix lights now, but not the Model Y Long Range?
Same logic, how come the Model Ys never had a universal light? And after almost a year the rumor of a universal light for all Model Ys still hasnt come to fruition.

You'd think in the middle of a global parts shortage, they would have run out of the rumored "back stock" of old headlights. They ran out of radars, passanger lower lumbars and USB ports... why not the stockpiled old lights?

Of right... because Tesla needs to make profit and the current lights are much cheaper to produce and they have a steady supply line for them...

It aint gonna happen. It was a rumor that has yet to come to fruition, and all signs point to the fact that it never will.

How much was that option on your BMW (part of executive package)? I see $3300 for premium and $3500 for executive. That’s $6800 you paid in options that you want aTesla to throw in for free. A replacement light housing is $2400 On the bmw while a standard led for Tesla can be had for $400. You want Tesla to give us a $4k upgrade for free (maybe $750 sa cost)? $1.5k x 100k cars = $150,000,000. That’s a lot of reasons for Tesla to not transition to global lights in the US.
No, I do not want Tesla to throw in anything for free. But I do expect them to provide what other similarly priced comps offer. Just one example - Model Y LR with 20" wheels and Deep Blue Metallic Paint is currently $58,990 versus an Audi Q4 eTron with Navarra Blue metallic, 20" wheels, and Matrix-design LED headlights at $58,640. We could also list many other things that cars significantly less than a Model Y offer that Tesla does not (360 degree camera, ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers and auto high beams that actually work, Apple CarPlay) but for the sake of this post I'll just point out the following;

• Tesla has moved to the matrix lights on every model they make (including the refreshed S/X) except for the Model Y LR. So, they have opted to "throw in for free" better headlights on cars costing thousands of dollars less
  • It is ridiculous to suggest that adding the matrix lights to the last remaining model that's lacking them would make any real impact on their bottom line. As made clear in today's financial results they have very healthy margins
  • Tesla has been notoriously cheap when it comes to headlights. You can find many, many forums both here and on other sites with Model S/X owners complaining about the quality of the headlights and looking for after market options to improve them going all the way back to the launch of those vehicles. The Model 3 originally shipped with subpar headlights and Tesla only upgraded them after being shamed into it because it had a negative impact on their safety ratings
  • For a company claiming to be very focused on safety - there's no compelling reason not to include the best possible headlights. The new global lights have proven to be better than the reflectors both in anecdotal comparisons by owners/reviewers and now objectively by IIHS ratings
  • Adaptive headlights will be legal in the US in two years or less so using that as an excuse not to include the global lights in domestic models is now a moot point

The global lights should be included on the Model Y LR - period, full stop. Making excuses for Tesla doesn't do them any favors. As owners, enthusiasts, etc. we can love the company and the cars but still hold them to a higher standard and expect them to improve. They are premium cars and they are priced accordingly. Nobody here is asking for any free handouts from Tesla.

Last edited:
No, I do not want Tesla to throw in anything for free. But I do expect them to provide what other similarly priced comps offer. Just one example - Model Y LR with 20" wheels and Deep Blue Metallic Paint is currently $58,990 versus an Audi Q4 eTron with Navarra Blue metallic, 20" wheels, and Matrix-design LED headlights at $58,640. We could also list many other things that cars significantly less than a Model Y offer that Tesla does not (360 degree camera, ventilated seats, rain sensing wipers and auto high beams that actually work, Apple CarPlay) but for the sake of this post I'll just point out the following;

• Tesla has moved to the matrix lights on every model they make (including the refreshed S/X) except for the Model Y LR. So, they have opted to "throw in for free" better headlights on cars costing thousands of dollars less
  • It is ridiculous to suggest that adding the matrix lights to the last remaining model that's lacking them would make any real impact on their bottom line. As made clear in today's financial results they have very healthy margins
  • Tesla has been notoriously cheap when it comes to headlights. You can find many, many forums both here and on other sites with Model S/X owners complaining about the quality of the headlights and looking for after market options to improve them going all the way back to the launch of those vehicles. The Model 3 originally shipped with subpar headlights and Tesla only upgraded them after being shamed into it because it had a negative impact on their safety ratings
  • For a company claiming to be very focused on safety - there's no compelling reason not to include the best possible headlights. The new global lights have proven to be better than the reflectors both in anecdotal comparisons by owners/reviewers and now objectively by IIHS ratings
  • Adaptive headlights will be legal in the US within two years or less so using that as an excuse not to include the global lights in domestic models is now a moot point

All in all, the global lights should be included on the Model Y LR - period, full stop. Making excuses for Tesla doesn't do them any favors. As owners, enthusiasts, etc. we can love the company and the cars but still hold them to a higher standard and expect them to improve. They are premium cars and they are priced accordingly. Nobody here is asking for any free handouts from Tesla.
It’s also safety that’s affected while driving at night. If it were a $30k car then sure makes sense. For $60k, I would think it should be better than just an “acceptable” IIHS rated headlight. I do also notice a lot of MYLRs have a good amount of glare for oncoming traffic with their low beams.

It’s also safety that’s affected while driving at night. If it were a $30k car then sure makes sense. For $60k, I would think it should be better than just an “acceptable” IIHS rated headlight. I do also notice a lot of MYLRs have a good amount of glare for oncoming traffic with their low beams.
And it's also autopilot / FSD effectiveness. The new lights will help the computer as much as they help the human driver. I can think of other things that the lights could use in this regard, notably infrared output the cameras can see - but certainly the active matrix feature would be an improvement when it's finally legalized.

• Adaptive headlights will be legal in the US in two years or less so using that as an excuse not to include the global lights in domestic models is now a moot point

The global lights should be included on the Model Y LR - period, full stop. Making excuses for Tesla doesn't do them any favors. As owners, enthusiasts, etc. we can love the company and the cars but still hold them to a higher standard and expect them to improve. They are premium cars and they are priced accordingly. Nobody here is asking for any free handouts from Tesla.
Tesla didn’t throw in the matrix lights on Model 3 for free. It was a manufacturing decision to save money from swapping out wiring harnesses when switching to export cars vs US cars at Fremont every couple of months. It was advantageous for them to do this from a monetary standpoint. Now that they aren’t exporting M3 from Fremont they could theoretically switch back but then that would be removing a feature which they aren’t likely to do.

Let’s actually compare your Q4 Etron beyond price and headlights. MY has more legroom and cargo room. MY has longer EPA range. MY is 10% more efficient to operate. MY has higher top speed and more acceleration. Tesla has way better charging infrastructure and easy of use.

Looks like strictly on the base features, the Audi should cost a lot less but they inflate the price with all these options. The original Etron is probably a better comparison and that 220 mile (!?!?) range is $65,900 and $3500 to add lane and cruise assist. $69,400 and still no matrix lights. That’s $2500 more than LR MY even after the tax rebate. $74,800 gets you matrix lights. So if Tesla offered matrix lights for $5,000 would you buy them? Audi charges $10k for them and autopilot like features. Should Tesla charge extra for those too?

I get that the matrix lights will be better down the road when they can actuallynuse the matrix features. You do realize that if they put them in the cars right now, they can’t use them? It is still ILLEGAL to use matrix lights in the US.

From hotcars.com:
”Hidden away in the broader infrastructure bill, a small section, simply titled “Headlamps,” calls on US Secretary of Transportation, Pete Buttigieg, to amend the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to allow for the rollout of more modern technology in headlamps.

“Moreover, the law creates a definition of adaptive headlights and states that a final ruling on amending the original safety standard to include them should take place within two years.”

Until Pete amends the existing law, they are still illegal. Until they are legal, why would Tesla put something in a car that can only be used for the light show? People would want the functions to work on the road and won’t understand the technicality of the law or that even such law existed.

And about the Tesla cars being premium and priced accordingly, they may be priced premium, but fit, finish, materials are not premium. Maybe mid-grade. They are getting better on fit and finish but not there yet. What is premium is the battery and motor technology to provide the range and driving experience. That is what you pay a premium for. If you want dead silent interior with plush leather and wood grain, you should buy the $85,000 top of the line etron and deal with lack of range and very low efficiency (77mpge).

Tesla didn’t throw in the matrix lights on Model 3 for free. It was a manufacturing decision to save money from swapping out wiring harnesses when switching to export cars vs US cars at Fremont every couple of months. It was advantageous for them to do this from a monetary standpoint. Now that they aren’t exporting M3 from Fremont they could theoretically switch back but then that would be removing a feature which they aren’t likely to do.

Let’s actually compare your Q4 Etron beyond price and headlights. MY has more legroom and cargo room. MY has longer EPA range. MY is 10% more efficient to operate. MY has higher top speed and more acceleration. Tesla has way better charging infrastructure and easy of use.

Looks like strictly on the base features, the Audi should cost a lot less but they inflate the price with all these options. The original Etron is probably a better comparison and that 220 mile (!?!?) range is $65,900 and $3500 to add lane and cruise assist. $69,400 and still no matrix lights. That’s $2500 more than LR MY even after the tax rebate. $74,800 gets you matrix lights. So if Tesla offered matrix lights for $5,000 would you buy them? Audi charges $10k for them and autopilot like features. Should Tesla charge extra for those too?

I get that the matrix lights will be better down the road when they can actuallynuse the matrix features. You do realize that if they put them in the cars right now, they can’t use them? It is still ILLEGAL to use matrix lights in the US.

From hotcars.com:
”Hidden away in the broader infrastructure bill, a small section, simply titled “Headlamps,” calls on US Secretary of Transportation, Pete Buttigieg, to amend the Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards to allow for the rollout of more modern technology in headlamps.

“Moreover, the law creates a definition of adaptive headlights and states that a final ruling on amending the original safety standard to include them should take place within two years.”

Until Pete amends the existing law, they are still illegal. Until they are legal, why would Tesla put something in a car that can only be used for the light show? People would want the functions to work on the road and won’t understand the technicality of the law or that even such law existed.

And about the Tesla cars being premium and priced accordingly, they may be priced premium, but fit, finish, materials are not premium. Maybe mid-grade. They are getting better on fit and finish but not there yet. What is premium is the battery and motor technology to provide the range and driving experience. That is what you pay a premium for. If you want dead silent interior with plush leather and wood grain, you should buy the $85,000 top of the line etron and deal with lack of range and very low efficiency (77mpge).
No wiring harness changes for matrix LEDs, it appears to be a simple gateway configuration item.

From hotcars.com:

The matrix headlights in its current form are better than the “average” MYLR ones. Matrix lights are rated “good” and may be even better once it is fully legal. It’s not just for “show”.

No wiring harness changes for matrix LEDs, it appears to be a simple gateway configuration item.
Thats different than what was reported with the initial switch on the MYP which was why they didn't immediately add to the LR Y. Who really knows at this point unless you actually have designed the wiring harnesses for Tesla. I have not seen a reported success of swapping matrix for regular led. Even when service centers have inadvertently installed the wrong light for a set that is mismatched. They couldn't get both to work and they had Tesla's programming behind them.

And as far as the ratings, those changed from the initial ratings even though the parts and vehicles didn't so I take those with a grin of salt. The website got updated and the ratings changed. I think it is this thread, go back and I know I posted screenshots of the original ratings. They were both rated good and they both had advantages over the other in certain aspects with the matrix slightly edging overall but still the same rating. Add people did test drives of MY LR and MY P and compared light output and didn't really see much if any improvement, nothing to spend money upgrading to. And the supposed future advantages? Those require matrix features with many more pixels than what Tesla is using.

At the end of the day, you can go on and on about what you think or hope the lights will do in the future. What matters is right now. Very marginal upgrade in light quality no retrofit path and no indication Tesla will ever offer any of this. There is an upgrade path. BUY A MYP. If you aren't willing to do that, move on. (You can probably get enough for your current LR Y to make the cost of a new MYP equal to whatever it could cost you to retrofit if it ever even becomes possible)

Thats different than what was reported with the initial switch on the MYP which was why they didn't immediately add to the LR Y. Who really knows at this point unless you actually have designed the wiring harnesses for Tesla. I have not seen a reported success of swapping matrix for regular led. Even when service centers have inadvertently installed the wrong light for a set that is mismatched. They couldn't get both to work and they had Tesla's programming behind them.
The plugs are the same 3 pibs

Tesla makes money on their cars. The ones from legacy auto are loss leaders. They only exist as compliance cars to avoid emissions penalties. Always keep that in mind.

Buy the wires can go to different places in the main harness. They might use that type of plug elsewhere in the car but it doesn’t mean it will turn on the headlights if you plug them in there.
Can you evidence this with wiring diagrams, as you were told on the other thread the lights sit on a LIN and are addressed by data packets, it is extremely unlikely that the pins are changed

Reactions: ProjectTrinity
Can you evidence this with wiring diagrams, as you were told on the other thread the lights sit on a LIN and are addressed by data packets, it is extremely unlikely that the pins are changed
The only evidence I have is that simply swapping the lights doesn't work and there has to be some reason why it was reported that the MYP has a different wiring harness for the Matrix lights than the MY LR. Could be fake news or could be the real reason. If someone is willing to devote so much time to something that likely won't work, more power to them. For me, I will enjoy the great car with lights that are great and worry about other more important things in life.

Reactions: S3XY1138
The only evidence I have is that simply swapping the lights doesn't work and there has to be some reason why it was reported that the MYP has a different wiring harness for the Matrix lights than the MY LR. Could be fake news or could be the real reason. If someone is willing to devote so much time to something that likely won't work, more power to them. For me, I will enjoy the great car with lights that are great and worry about other more important things in life.
Most likely Tesla telling fake news to brush of customers - it has history

The LIN addresses packets for a specific module, much more likely that, given the connector is the same, the packet addresses (and content) are different
In Europe the standard lights are poor- if you have LEDs without washers then you are restricted to 2,000 lumen where the US spec are 4,000
I find safety when driving in the dark important.

Reactions: ProjectTrinity
Most likely Tesla telling fake news to brush of customers - it has history

The LIN addresses packets for a specific module, much more likely that, given the connector is the same, the packet addresses (and content) are different
In Europe the standard lights are poor- if you have LEDs without washers then you are restricted to 2,000 lumen where the US spec are 4,000
I find safety when driving in the dark important.
Yes, Europe is a different market and the ONLY reason Matrix lights were developed. When they were developed, they were illegal in the US so Tesla had no reason to spend R&D on something they could never use here. I think you are in the vast minority of export market users looking to upgrade, most people on here are US and coming from legacy carmakers where most things stock are crap and you can retrofit for less than the 10 item upgrade package wher you only want one item. I understand why you would want to upgrade (guess it never clicked in my mind that you had a pre-matrix M3 in an EXPORT market, doh). In the US, it is a big waste of time for the very small gain you will see.

Reactions: goRt
Yes, Europe is a different market and the ONLY reason Matrix lights were developed. When they were developed, they were illegal in the US so Tesla had no reason to spend R&D on something they could never use here. I think you are in the vast minority of export market users looking to upgrade, most people on here are US and coming from legacy carmakers where most things stock are crap and you can retrofit for less than the 10 item upgrade package wher you only want one item. I understand why you would want to upgrade (guess it never clicked in my mind that you had a pre-matrix M3 in an EXPORT market, doh). In the US, it is a big waste of time for the very small gain you will see.
I came from an 11 year old Nissan. The headlights in my Y LR are a massive improvement. They are BRIGHT at night compared to my previous vehicle. At this point I don’t think I would need an improved/brighter light. I’m sure the standard LED lights are expensive enough to replace as it is.

Reactions: Mrbrock and WhiteWi
I came from an 11 year old Nissan. The headlights in my Y LR are a massive improvement. They are BRIGHT at night compared to my previous vehicle. At this point I don’t think I would need an improved/brighter light. I’m sure the standard LED lights are expensive enough to replace as it is.
I can imagine so haha.

I’m coming from cars with retrofitted HID projectors and a Honda S2000 which had good projectors that had good output and width. Our 2021 Tacoma has factory LEDs that have great output as well and doesn’t throw all the light into the foreground. Matrix lights aren’t the the biggest deal but just interesting to discuss. For me it’s possible to enjoy the MY and feel that it’s headlights might not be up to par.

Last edited:
Reactions: casey1202