Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Model Y with new projector headlights in the USA?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can tell a slightly different headlight on the Tesla configurator between LR and Performance. I believe once they look the same, you will start seeing the new light on the LR
That's not entirely true. There are many occasions where Tesla updates vehicles without updating the site. A good example is the recent HEPA update. It wasn't listed on the site for quite. I think they tend to wait until an update is universally available on all iterations of said vehicle before updating the site. Also, the images you're referring to on the Tesla site (P vs LR) most likely look different because of the change in lighting/reflection. As you can see the P version is slightly lower which causes the change in lighting/reflection. I think there's too much emphasis being placed on the lights in these images.

That's not entirely true. There are many occasions where Tesla updates vehicles without updating the site. A good example is the recent HEPA update. It wasn't listed on the site for quite. I think they tend to wait until an update is universally available on all iterations of said vehicle before updating the site. Also, the images you're referring to on the Tesla site (P vs LR) most likely look different because of the change in lighting/reflection. As you can see the P version is slightly lower which causes the change in lighting/reflection. I think there's too much emphasis being placed on the lights in these images.
I agree, it won't show unless its universally available. The configurator picture is accurate though and its not due to perspective. Look at Model 3LR/P and its same light as the MYP.

You're incorrect. The MYP's do have matrix headlight projections. The LR Ys don't.

Reactions: NHK X
As said above, the bill give the transportation department two years to make them legal. They will not be mandatory so still so no reason for Tesla to do this, especially during a chip shortage.
Since Tesla autopilot is vision only, there's a strong incentive for Tesla to implement this technology so the headlights can be always on for better vision. Tesla has already demonstrated matrix headlights at their Berlin gigafactory.

Since Tesla autopilot is vision only, there's a strong incentive for Tesla to implement this technology so the headlights can be always on for better vision. Tesla has already demonstrated matrix headlights at their Berlin gigafactory.
I agree this could be a a significant step forward for nighttime Autopilot vision, as well as human-operator vision.

But the thing I've really been calling for is HW4 corner cameras in the headlight housings. Because it's a great location for cross-traffic vision and it could greatly aid the retrofitting problem. Followed perhaps by rear corner cameras in retrofittable taillights...

I agree this could be a a significant step forward for nighttime Autopilot vision, as well as human-operator vision.

But the thing I've really been calling for is HW4 corner cameras in the headlight housings. Because it's a great location for cross-traffic vision and it could greatly aid the retrofitting problem. Followed perhaps by rear corner cameras in retrofittable taillights...
New electric parts require a new wiring harness. That’s not retrofittable. Power and signal wires to each camera having to be routed back to the computer and battery after the car is produced? Not happening.

New electric parts require a new wiring harness. That’s not retrofittable. Power and signal wires to each camera having to be routed back to the computer and battery after the car is produced? Not happening.
Depends on the bandwidth capable of going from the central computer to the matrix lights. They require more than just power, but a digital signal to drive the matrix processors themselves.

If that pipe can handle it, you could pass digital video over it, no need for 8k cross traffic... sub 1080 would be fine.

Depends on the bandwidth capable of going from the central computer to the matrix lights. They require more than just power, but a digital signal to drive the matrix processors themselves.

If that pipe can handle it, you could pass digital video over it, no need for 8k cross traffic... sub 1080 would be fine.
Correct @Jjrss, thanks.

And @Mrbrock generally the ability to retrofit is not a binary possible/impossible issue but a matter of cost. I just got done running a new display cable from the computer to the steering wheel. It wasn't the simplest job many because of access to the connector and the DIY circumstances, but it was orders of magnitude below impossible.

The biggest issue in retrofitting new cameras would be if they were to be mounted through body openings that presently don't exist. That is a big reason why the headlights idea is good IMO. Aside from being in the right place for the intended function, it solves the problems of retrofitting to existing body dedign and physical wiring access to the interior.

I have already proposed, in other threads, various possibilities of video merging using preprocessor modules, to address the question of adding or upgrading camera feeds within the current HW3 suite, and also and harness routing in case that would be pursued. This us to deal with the main issue that the HW3 FSD computer has only the 8 canera ports and it's very unlikely those are equipped for demultiplexing multiple HD video feeds.

I'm not aware of the specific limitations of the present hardware platform regarding communications bus bandwidth etc. Future platforms are likely to have very wideband buses; newer generations of CANbus are very capable and some cars are doing 100G ethernet etc.

In saying all this, I'm certainly not indicating that I believe Tesla will do it or that it's a piece of cake. But to say it's impossible is clearly incorrect. In this circumstance, the "Not happening" prediction is the safest but not the most imaginative. I've known many people who live on pessimistic naysaying, and indeed they are right at least 80% percent of the time. I care about what could be done given the will, not about Having Been Right when we check the internet comment history next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: eesmjus