Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any news on 100D uncorking?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you for adding a reply in addition to the disagree.

I do agree that adding the power is a big deal, and people in ICE world would pay big money.

I don't agree that it is "artificial", or at least any more so that the limitations in programming on an ICE car or sizing the carb. My diesel can be "chipped" to gain huge performance. But it also has reliability issues. There is always going to be a bottleneck. In an EV, it just happens to be programmed in. What happens if cars start destroying half shafts now? They now have time on their side and real data on reliability.

A long time ago, I redid the motor in an old ford. Huge increase in performance, until I broke the output shaft and shattered the transmission case.

Anyway, back to my thought... Yes, it is a big deal. Yes, ICE folks would pay big money. Tesla made the decision not to charge. I personally feel that if people are pains in the (you know what) about it, they will never ever do anything like it again.

Haha, and sorry for whatever clicking that button did to your internet brownie points :D. I totally agree with you that soft performance points (let's call it that?) are NOT just because a manufacturer is financially greedy. I'm an engineer and I have to program in those points and/or do the investigation to determine what they are, all the time, for all sorts of reasons, both to benefit the company AND to benefit the customer.

Not suggesting that Tesla is just flipping a performance switch willy-nilly. There's definitely a balance of concerns that has to be reached to pick torque limits and acceleration ramps.

I'm sure if we get a Tesla hacker like WK507 or Ingineer to tinker with a new 100D we'd know. I was doing some research today and the original P85D with a 0-60 of 3.1s output a maximum of 412kW at 85% SOC. I have recorded my 100D in excess of 428kW at 99%soc, theoretically making it more powerful than an original P85D. The ramp up for acceleration is very different, though, Tesla is holding back initial acceleration values until up to ~35mph, whereas this maximum power was achieved in the P85D early on, something like within the first second. Maximum power at speed is still more than the P85D, and passing speeds are superior. Ludicrous upgrade is a different story, though

As long as everyone remembers that works once doesn’t mean it’s reliable or production worthy.
Haha, and sorry for whatever clicking that button did to your internet brownie points :D.

No worries on that! I just like to hear other opinions instead of just the agree/disagree. I can learn from them.

As long as everyone remembers that works once doesn’t mean it’s reliable or production worthy.

And when you are not in the company in the room of people making these decisions, you cannot know all of the ramifications of messing with these values. I've watched for years as the internet speculates about my work, and to say they're only correct with 1% of their conspiracy theories is giving more credit than is due.

Glad people are so worked up about uncorking cars. Using escalation procedures, stopping by service centers, making up issues to schedule appointments.

At the same time, people are complaining about not being able to get appointments to get real issues fixed.

Wait...can you stop by a Service Center without making a appointment? If so I’m having regrets not doing that instead of having to wait like 3+ weeks for mine...

The ramp up for acceleration is very different, though, Tesla is holding back initial acceleration values until up to ~35mph.

I absolutely noticed this today and discovered a way to give people heart attacks! haha. If I’m cruising at say 25-29mph and then slam the pedal down, it’s a huge jolt of g force.

Going from 0-29mph, it’s not as forceful of a push going past the 30mph mark.

I absolutely noticed this today and discovered a way to give people heart attacks! haha. If I’m cruising at say 25-29mph and then slam the pedal down, it’s a huge jolt of g force.

Exactly. When I picked up my car, I didn't even do a 0-60 to test the power, I was driving around 30 and mashed the pedal and was blown away with the difference from my 85D at the same speed

Totally! It’s not off the line from 0mph that I’ve seen the big difference, it’s at any kind of speed the power difference when flooring it is incredibly noticeable.

Based on this thread, I E-Mail'd my local SC and asked if they could schedule the "performance upgrade" on my June 2017 MS100D. They wrote back saying it's only for MS75's. I replied with the "the 'PT_BMS_ISENSORPROTOCOLNUMBER' has to be greater than 3" (no idea what that means) - and he came back saying he found the bulletin! Scheduled for Tuesday. Good times!