Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Any Porsche defectors?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have a porsche, rented a model 3, stuck in a model s loaner, own model x (though tesla service center is holding it hostage).

daily driver? tesla. practical, efficient. quick. driving an EV though is numb though in my opinion. effective, but boring. if you value that, the M3 is for you. yeah, you can stomp on the pedal and it goes quick, but you lose that visceral driving experience. i could fall asleep driving my MS loaner most days. a lot of people don't value that driving experience of revving up to 8000 and rowing through gears and say ICE cars are history, but if you own a 911 cab i presume you probably might still feel it has some value.

in the end, up to you. if it's a commuter car, why not go practical and buy a tesla. but IMO if you want to drive something fun through angeles crest or ortega highway, take the 911 any day.

I have a '86 944 that I've owned since '87. It was my daily driver for years. Not getting rid of it - as it is still fun to take out occasionally and doesn't cost much to keep around. I am, however, a MB defector. While the body and chassis in my MB has been great, the engine and transmission have been a true disappointment. It is getting traded in for the Model 3 this weekend.

I kept my 993 C2S and also bought a Model X. I have to say right now love driving the X more. Getting back in the Porsche recently felt a little claustrophobic you learn to love the helicopter feel of the glass in the Model X. I will give it a year and see how I feel. Enjoy your new car.

I'm curious, would you would get the Taycan (Mission E) if that was available right now over the Model 3?

Absolutely--especially if it was around the $75k-$80k rumored price point (Same as the optioned out Model 3 Performance). But for reasons others have stated, that's probably an unlikely real world price, and it will go far above that with basic options, and I think I'm at the top of what I'm willing to pay for a car. I'd probably be having the same dilemma considering that or a used 991. At the end of the day, whether or not it's an EV doesn't really matter to me--I'm more interested in the features that come along with being a performance EV (instant torque, lighting fast acceleration, extreme low center of gravity and good weight balance, convenience of "filling up" while I sleep, etc.) If a gasoline car could provide all the same things at a much cheaper price, I'd probably just go that route.

For Tesla to lose will require Tesla to go nowhere with EAP/FSD, and for Porsche/Audi/VW to do a stellar job on the roll out of their Supercharger network.

I agree with this. Full Self Driving is a transportation game changer (but obviously still a ways away). And a 300+ mile range coupled with the Supercharger network is just the combination that made the inconveniences of an EV melt away in my mind (different motivations and needs make this different for everyone, obviously). There are a lot of days I travel over 100 miles in a day, a decent number of days I go over 150 miles in a day, and a handful of occasions I go over 300 miles in a day. At 310 miles of range, I almost never need to worry about charging on the fly, and for the 5-10 times a year I'll need it, there's an infrastructure in place. If it's 20-30 min for a charge versus 5-10 min for a fill up on a longer trip, I can live with that. Porsche doesn't have this yet, but we'll see.

if it's a commuter car, why not go practical and buy a tesla. but IMO if you want to drive something fun through angeles crest or ortega highway, take the 911 any day

My current daily driving "commuter" car is a 911, and I think it's perfectly practical for that purpose. I wish I could have both as others have said. I live in a coastal area where space is at a premium and I simply don't have the space to start collecting cars (and I haven't been able to find any inexpensive warehouses for sale--I have looked...), so that's not an option for now. Alas, I will miss the convertible and manual transmission. I've actually never owned a car with an automatic transmission--at least that won't change with the Tesla ;)

Reactions: ℬête Noire
Wow, that's pretty faint praise of your S. Loved my 911s, but if I felt the same way you do about my Teslas, I'd get rid of both of them.

In terms of physics it's a bit difficult for a Model S to compete with a 911.

I personally love the handling of my coil-suspension Model S. It's about as good as I expect out of such a massive spaceship.

Of course my weekend fun car is a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, and compared to that the handling of the Model S is stellar. :p

One aspect of the Model 3 that does attract me is it supposedly handles really well.

Last edited:
A lot of people say they will keep their beloved ice, a year or two later, they wipe the dust off and sell it.
From what I've seen most of them had utterly boring ICE cars.

To me it makes absolute sense to have a Tesla plus an ICE car for special needs. Either a nice low weight sports car, or a REAL SUV.

There are only a few hardcore people that are EV only.

But, I definitely agree about the dust. Usually I do pretty good about driving my ICE vehicle until I have to get gas. Then it's like "Why don't I just take the Tesla?"

Reactions: vernontwg
From what I've seen most of them had utterly boring ICE cars.

To me it makes absolute sense to have a Tesla plus an ICE car for special needs. Either a nice low weight sports car, or a REAL SUV.

There are only a few hardcore people that are EV only.

But, I definitely agree about the dust. Usually I do pretty good about driving my ICE vehicle until I have to get gas. Then it's like "Why don't I just take the Tesla?"

About an hour ago, I drove my ICE SUV for the first time in 2 months and it felt like a completely different car compared to my Model 3 (granted the vehicle class is different). It felt loud, obnoxious, and clunky even though I loved my car until my Tesla delivery. It's hard to know what you've been missing out on until you spend time in an EV.

A lot of people say they will keep their beloved ice, a year or two later, they wipe the dust off and sell it.

I don't drive my 944 much these days. Frankly a modern mini-van can out drag it. So I've been in that situation for a while. But every now and then I get in, gaze across that beautiful instrument cluster (minimalist in its own way), row through the gears and listen to it making all the nice sports car sounds, and of course the spot on handling, and wonder why I'd ever want to sell it.

• Funny
Reactions: bhzmark
sorry if already posted, following up on communication from Porsche dealerships regarding the 'Taycan'.........Porsche is letting the dealers set the amount of deposit. Dealers have acknowledged that there are no details to be provided on the car, other than the name and concept picture, and it is likely 2-years out for any production. They are really selling the 'get in line' deposit really hard........wild west however, as i sent requests into (3) different regional dealerships and all (3) came back with different deposit numbers.....$750; $1000; and $2,500. I told them all that while the car looks cool, i'll wait on actual details of the car are provided.

• Informative
Reactions: Cirrus MS100D