Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else dislike the new UI?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The fonts are too small. PRND are hard to see and read in my Model 3.
The speed indicator is too small as well as the auto pilot indicator.
The whole top line font needs to be increased.
It may look fine if you're a developer sitting in front of a computer screen but in a car it is too small.
Can't say I've ever used the PRND - there a massive clues everywhere else.
Park = big car view with icons to open trunk etc
Drive = big car from the rear view with road markings
Reverse = great big backup camera view
Agree for Neutral though, there should be a better indicator that the car is in neutral.

I ike that the speed indicator is top left. But it does need to be larger. When the center display came out, everyone complained that the speed wasn't top left. Now its top left they still complain :D

But they should have layout options like most cars have now, with one layout that makes a big speedo.
Agree there should be options - not sure that "most" cars do. Some cars do but a long, long way from most.

Last edited:
At this point I just want my old display back. I look back of pics and see it and it makes me sad. I didnt realize how much I liked the old display until its gone. I dont even drive my car anymore unless absolutely necessary. I can not enjoy the drive with the screen like that. Sounds silly I know but its just the way I feel. Hoping they will address this sooner than later.

Well, other than building the interstate highway system, building Hoover Dam, putting a man on the moon, NASA successfully exploring the solar system including Mars landings, cleaning up our air and water massively since the 1970s, winning WWII, eradicating polio, sending letters across the country in a few days for 50 cents, instituting and enforcing car safety standards where there used to be none, etc....sure...yeah, Govt. will mess things up. Whatever, dude.

Now look at what all those things have in common.... accomplished made by dead people. Don’t get stuck in the past pro

This UI is a huge improvement IMO. I like the dead space around the car because I can see more traffic around me, especially the rear of the car. I've been waiting for that card to disappear forever. Blind spot visual is much improved. Also like the smaller fonts and the arrangement of speed and other status further out of the say providing better situational awareness of vehicles in the driving visualization.

yeah blind spot warning is the only thing i consider a massive improvement. particularly on the black screen the yellow really pops. as it should.

• Informative
Reactions: Transformer
I have yet to see any advantages to the new UI and have noticed several disadvantages. The disadvantages have already been documented here, so I won't repeat them. None of them are all that huge a problem for me, but they are still not good. Overall, the new UI is a step back in my view. I hope that Tesla does something about it.

The new UI is obviously an attempt to carve out more screen real estate for visualizations.
Thinking about that logically, better visualizations are coming, but visualizations only exists to help build confidence in FSD,
What the car does when it is parked is not that important.

For driving there should be 3 modes:-
1. Old UI all the time
2. New UI when using FSD, otherwise Old UI
3. New UI all the time.

If 2 is too hard just offer 1. & 3. but all that is needed is the ability to toggle between modes. If they can do that 2. should be possible.

Then there are number of areas of detail that need to be addressed or even made options, most of them are covered here.

I don't think Tesla has deliberately botched the new UI, or did it for no good reason.
However, it is poorly executed and the purpose is not well explained.

Being able to choose between Old UI and New UI is the best solution.

Here’s a minor change for the worse. I have the midnight silver paint with just the aero caps, so my wheels pretty much match the color of the car. Originally, the car graphics showed only the silver wheels or the aero covers, neither of which looked like my car. I loved it when the aero caps wheel display option became available.

But now the wheel graphics are back to silver, clearly not like the dark grey that used to be there. When you go to choose your wheel preference, the thumbnail graphic is as it should be - dark grey. But what is displayed on the car graphic is not the same color.

I don’t know why Tesla changed this, but it clearly isn’t what these wheels look like and is a step backwards for those like me with the aero caps configuration.

Just got the update today. Mostly agree with most of the observations here. One additional pet peeve of mine that is unchanged is the map display - needs a perspective rendering option, and when in track-up mode (the only sane map view ;)), the arrow should be close to the bottom of the map area, not in the middle. These two changes would make the map view much more useful and space-efficient, which would give Tesla more flexibility in providing screen layout options.

I’m not sure if I like it or not. The greyed out battery makes no sense.the second row is sort of a waste of screen space the way it is presented.

I like to the larger visuals, but the rest of it needs work.

Same here! I was thinking it was a mistake and would fix itself. Hopefully we’ll see the colored battery % as well as increase the size of the digital speedometer.

There should be a way to adjust the fan speed, temp, and wipers that requires as little eyes off the road as possible. .
Easier than pushing the button on the steering wheel and saying turn wipers on or set wipers to one or two or three or four or turn wipers off or pushing it and saying set climate too xxx degrees? Im not sure I understand what people are asking for when they want the controls to be easier. It can’t be any easier that I can think of.

Reactions: Big Earl
1) As stated before, we need LARGER CHARACTERS! I wear multifocal lenses and am nearsighted AND farsighted. Refocusing is a pain in the butt with tiny characters.
2) What moron specified gray characters on a brilliant white field? If you have cataracts,
it makes the screen damn near unreadable
3) I can't even see the accel/decel line at the top in the daytime, and barely at night.
4) Why a gray battery icon? And on the white screen yet! And small characters. Does it still turn yellow and red?
5) I'm sure this is prep for FSD but what about those of us who have NO plans whatsoever to invest in that charade? <ducking for cover>
6) No real complaints with the vertical info icons. 6 of one...
7) Speedometer font should be larger not smaller
8) Seat heater buttons should be out of the way on the HVAC screen. too easy to hit. I seldom use them in the Summer...
9) The graphics on the car with moving wheels, windows, etc. are cute but useless
10) YOU KIDS GET OFFA MY LAWN!
Harrumph.

Let’s be honest. This update sucks. On many levels. Whoever thought these changes improve the UI must secretly work for Volkswagen.

The MCU cannot even render my deep blue metallic paint color any more. Means nothing, of course, but symbolic of an amateurish and regressive firmware update of which I am constantly reminded.

Let’s see how long it takes Tesla to acknowledge and fix this misstep. Remains to be seen if the promised configuration utility will even address the major display issues.

And I am a diehard fanboy of the M3.
Can't stand the blue being wrong. Is this error intentional, or a mistake? If intentional, why??? If a mistake, how is that possible?

• Love
Reactions: APotatoGod
Easier than pushing the button on the steering wheel and saying turn wipers on or set wipers to one or two or three or four or turn wipers off or pushing it and saying set climate too xxx degrees? Im not sure I understand what people are asking for when they want the controls to be easier. It can’t be any easier that I can think of.

What am I doing wrong such that the voice commands are so hit and miss?

I tested various commands in the garage but even the successful cases don't necessarily work when needed and to see the feedback requires too much eyes on screen. Voice feedback or longer on-screen feedback would help. Is there an "undo" command?

(Fortunately the "deep rain" update made the auto-wipers work well enough in the few rain encounters since then.)

Some voice commands worked at least once:
"Turn on/off recirculation"
"Increase/decrease fan speed by n"
"Set fan speed to n"
"Fan speed to n"
"Increase/decrease fan speed" --> changed by 4
"Max fan" --> "Fan speed set to 11" (actually to 10; I like the Spinal Tap reference)
"Fan off" --> turned off all climate controls
"Fan on" --> enabling climate control​

These voice commands did not work:
"Recirculation on/off" --> "recirculating air", no change
"Shields up" --> did not turn on recirculation
"Fan speed n" --> deceased by 2
"Increase/decrease fan speed n"
"Faster/slower fan" --> decreased by 4
"Turn on air conditioning" --> turned on Auto mode
"Turn off air conditioning" --> turned off all climate controls
"Turn off A C" --> turned off all climate controls
"Turn off cooling" --> "Command not understood"​

What am I doing wrong such that the voice commands are so hit and miss?

I tested various commands in the garage but even the successful cases don't necessarily work when needed and to see the feedback requires too much eyes on screen. Voice feedback or longer on-screen feedback would help. Is there an "undo" command?

(Fortunately the "deep rain" update made the auto-wipers work well enough in the few rain encounters since then.)

Some voice commands worked at least once:
"Turn on/off recirculation"
"Increase/decrease fan speed by n"
"Set fan speed to n"
"Fan speed to n"
"Increase/decrease fan speed" --> changed by 4
"Max fan" --> "Fan speed set to 11" (actually to 10; I like the Spinal Tap reference)
"Fan off" --> turned off all climate controls
"Fan on" --> enabling climate control​

These voice commands did not work:
"Recirculation on/off" --> "recirculating air", no change
"Shields up" --> did not turn on recirculation
"Fan speed n" --> deceased by 2
"Increase/decrease fan speed n"
"Faster/slower fan" --> decreased by 4
"Turn on air conditioning" --> turned on Auto mode
"Turn off air conditioning" --> turned off all climate controls
"Turn off A C" --> turned off all climate controls
"Turn off cooling" --> "Command not understood"​
Maybe it’s just a voice thing. It never fails me though I do start all me commands with “Set...” so “set heater to recirculate”, “Set heater to fresh air”, “set fan speed to xx”. “Set temperature to xx” etc.
Works perfectly for me unless I have some chatty passengers.

Ya'll are lucky you can even get an updated. I switched to "Advanced" about a month ago and haven't been offered an update.

Not at all surprised to hear about the UI regressions. Tesla may have the best electrical engineers but damn do their software engineers suck!

Reactions: drdumont