Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone else notice degraded Lane Change functionality with 2019.8.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got the 2019.8.5 update this past week (M3 LR AWD) then a day or two later was driving home from Boston and turned on auto steer and navigate on autopilot. Hoo boy.

Every. Single. lane change failed. The car would begin to change lanes, cut back into the original lane, start to change lanes again, cut back into the first lane again, and repeat, each time getting jerkier and more violent until I yanked the steering wheel to override it and shut off autosteer.

It's like it was sensing some phantom car in the other lane that wasn't actually there.

Now, this was Boston traffic so there were lots of cars on the road, but in each case there was plenty of room for the car to change lanes.

Unfortunately I still have limited experience with auto lane changes when there are other cars on the road (thus far other than that day I've really only used it when I was by myself on the road) so I don't really have much experience to compare it to and can't be sure if it was the software update or if it would have behaved the same way in the same traffic conditions beforehand. Maybe it wasn't malfunctioning and it always does that if there are other cars on the road?

But it seems like starting to change lanes then jerking back, repeatedly, is not a good thing.

(EDIT: Once I got out of traffic and was the only car on the road, lane change worked again as expected.)

I also turned off auto lane change on NOAP. It kept trying to get me into the carpool lane every single time even though the lane I was in was actually going faster than the carpool lane. Or sometimes, I just want to be in the regular lanes if the traffic is light and move around instead of being stuck in the carpool lane.

As the AI gets more autonomous, might we expect
the individual personality of each car to emerge?
My Nikki has been mostly friendly, wise and obedient ...
... so far. Do we need to praise and reward them?
Does waxing or sealing please them more? Do they
like being buffed? Maybe some just get annoyed.

Reactions: McCaesar
Had a long drive this morning, first half of the drive NOA did pretty good, changing lanes to the left and the right. Then I tapped to cancel a lane change to the right and that got the autopilot to go completely wonky for the rest of the drive, car initiated a violent lane change to the right 30 sec after I canceled that change, and with no signal. I turned off autopilot, then back on but car would be unable to complete a lane change to the right for the rest of the drive. On the drive tonight, things had gotten back to normal, which in my case means decent NOA behavior in moderate traffic, terrible in heavy traffic

I am in the Early Access Program (got my 3 and EAP last June) and got the NOA auto lane change without stalk confirmation 2 months ago. When I got that, I had the same issue with lane change, but I figured out that it was because of the cameras going through calibration. You can even see the percentage of calibration if you go to the Autopilot page. Things should go back to normal when the calibration is done. Long drive is nothing but pure joy after that.

I got the 2019.8.5 update this past week (M3 LR AWD) then a day or two later was driving home from Boston and turned on auto steer and navigate on autopilot. Hoo boy.

Every. Single. lane change failed. The car would begin to change lanes, cut back into the original lane, start to change lanes again, cut back into the first lane again, and repeat, each time getting jerkier and more violent until I yanked the steering wheel to override it and shut off autosteer.

It's like it was sensing some phantom car in the other lane that wasn't actually there.

Now, this was Boston traffic so there were lots of cars on the road, but in each case there was plenty of room for the car to change lanes.

Unfortunately I still have limited experience with auto lane changes when there are other cars on the road (thus far other than that day I've really only used it when I was by myself on the road) so I don't really have much experience to compare it to and can't be sure if it was the software update or if it would have behaved the same way in the same traffic conditions beforehand. Maybe it wasn't malfunctioning and it always does that if there are other cars on the road?

But it seems like starting to change lanes then jerking back, repeatedly, is not a good thing.

(EDIT: Once I got out of traffic and was the only car on the road, lane change worked again as expected.)

I have this same firmware version on my Model 3, and I have the exact same experience...

I know I driven other Teslas on several older firmwares and the lane changes were waaaay better. Hopefully its just an issue with this update.

Did this issue go away? Hopefully when I get an update it goes away.

On a morning drive today my car twice attempted to change lanes to the left and violently jerked back to the current lane. There was a car behind me in the left lane but there was plenty of room for me to enter the lane. I had to turn off AP to make the lane change.

It also kept telling me I need to change lanes to the left even though I was within 2 miles of my exit and there was no traffic. I’m not sure why but I just ignored it. I get a lot of lane change requests that don’t seem to make any sense to me.

I like AP, but I’m not that comfortable with the rest of the features personally. I know others feel differently.