Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone got HW3 retrofit yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thats true, but that is just one of the obvious differences which we notice externally. This shows that Tesla is definitely starting to develop and release features based on the HW3 capabilities.

I don't think that's true.

HW2.5 recognizes cones (and other construction) as well- it just doesn't display them.

See for example-
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/02/tesla-autopilot-avoid-object-road-construction-zone-video/

As greentheonly has shown, AP2.5 is already overtaxed on display work (with the dashcam video going through there having to be significantly crappier than the video Tesla is actually using for themselves)- but that doesn't impact car behavior at all and both 2.5 and 3 recognize construction cones/barrels.

Reactions: silenteski
I don't think that's true.

HW2.5 recognizes cones (and other construction) as well- it just doesn't display them.

See for example-
https://ww.electrek.co/2019/12/02/tesla-autopilot-avoid-object-road-construction-zone-video/

As greentheonly has shown, AP2.5 is already overtaxed on display work (with the dashcam video going through there having to be significantly crappier than the video Tesla is actually using for themselves)- but that doesn't impact car behavior at all and both 2.5 and 3 recognize construction cones/barrels.
This video makes me wonder what the current default behavior would have been if there had been a vehicle in the space to the left of the vehicle (ie. if there had been no space available to move left and get around the cone). Hopefully it wouldn't swerve into the adjacent vehicle.

There’s speculation above about whether VIN is a factor in getting scheduled for HW3. (Folks being told, “your VIN hasn’t been selected.”) And maybe geography is a factor.

But what about whether you bought FSD when you bought the car versus adding it later? Like maybe they would prioritize by FSD purchase date. Or some other factor.

Reactions: kbecks13
I had a friend with 9000+ VIN try the service request trick, he got a form email response saying they were not ready for his car yet, but he would be contacted when they were ready to update his Tesla. I am in no hurry. I would like it if the wheel didn't jack around so quickly, if it was smooth like a human driving, but as long as it's safe and better is coming, I am OK

Ok, got my car back - it was a tabula rasa, just like the day I purchased it with the exception of the keys (both cards and phones).

I couldn't immediately set all the Nav on Autopilot settings because autopilot was only 73% calibrated. They put a few miles on it at service.

My long-time odometers were reset as well.

Driving is about the same, maybe a little smoother in some situations. It seems to dive into the exit less than before, and it stayed in the lane on a curve that sometimes it hangs too close to the side, but inconclusive if it is any better yet with the current software.

Interestingly, my firmware number went back from 2.2 to 2.1.

• Informative
Reactions: Richt and fseir
Like maybe they would prioritize by FSD purchase date.

That's my belief. I don't think prioritizing by solely VIN is fair as you could have someone with VIN in the low thousands but only bought FSD during the sale compared to someone else who bought the car later but purchased FSD sooner and for MORE money. I would hope Tesla would prioritize those people who ordered FSD first and for the full price.

Reactions: Silicon Desert
That's my belief. I don't think prioritizing by solely VIN is fair as you could have someone with VIN in the low thousands but only bought FSD during the sale compared to someone else who bought the car later but purchased FSD sooner and for MORE money. I would hope Tesla would prioritize those people who ordered FSD first and for the full price.
Hmmm... I got my car in June 2018 (configured in April) and got FSD in the $2k fire sale...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kbecks13
Ok, got my car back - it was a tabula rasa, just like the day I purchased it with the exception of the keys (both cards and phones).

I couldn't immediately set all the Nav on Autopilot settings because autopilot was only 73% calibrated. They put a few miles on it at service.

My long-time odometers were reset as well.

Driving is about the same, maybe a little smoother in some situations. It seems to dive into the exit less than before, and it stayed in the lane on a curve that sometimes it hangs too close to the side, but inconclusive if it is any better yet with the current software.

Interestingly, my firmware number went back from 2.2 to 2.1.

Interesting. I had to re-pair my phone as a media device, and log back into Spotify and Netflix and such, but my odometers were left as-is, as were all of my driver settings and profiles.

Interesting. I had to re-pair my phone as a media device, and log back into Spotify and Netflix and such, but my odometers were left as-is, as were all of my driver settings and profiles.
Any more context on what sounds like a mostly successful FSD computer upgrade? Seems like less than a month ago you were quite upset about the FSD situation, so maybe you can provide more insights now that you've gone through it. Did you schedule an appointment just for the upgrade? Is your VIN relatively low?

Reactions: NHK X and kbecks13
Any more context on what sounds like a mostly successful FSD computer upgrade? Seems like less than a month ago you were quite upset about the FSD situation, so maybe you can provide more insights now that you've gone through it. Did you schedule an appointment just for the upgrade? Is your VIN relatively low?

Yeah I've been meaning to post about it, just been stuuuuuupidly busy. Fairly low VIN (4xxx), took delivery in Jan 2018 with FSD paid for at time of purchase. Brought the car in for something unrelated and they mentioned they'd be doing my upgrade at the same time. Car seems about the same other than recognizing cones… HOWEVER… I feel like I've seen more incidents of losing Nav on Autopilot features for 30 seconds-3 minutes at a time on long drives (did about 4,000 miles in the last 2 weeks and would have this happen about every 400 miles, it felt like). Might be a firmware thing, might be a hardware thing… might just be coincidence.

I'd like to note that while I'm glad to see they're actually starting to upgrade customer cars, I do wish they'd prioritize taking care of earlier buyers / HW 2.0 people first.