Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea on how many people do not plan on getting Enhanced Auto Pilot when they get their Model 3. I have been going back and forth on this. Sometimes I think I want to get it now and other times I think that I should just save my money. My wife and I do not do a lot of long drives and I know this is where many people who have autopilot is best served. Also, I was really wanting the pre-collision mitigation and from what I understand, this will come standard on the car.

Wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks!
Picking my X up next Saturday. I did not get Enhanced Auto Pilot. I intend to add it after I've driven the car for awhile since it is just a software upgrade.

The "marginal cost" of EAP is how much more it will cost Tesla if I buy my M3 with EAP as opposed to without it; alternatively it is how much money will Tesla save if I don't purchase EAP on my M3. In either case the answer is zero. Hence, the marginal cost of EAP is zero.

There are primarily two relevant economic pricing models: 1) pricing in competitive markets; and 2) pricing in a monopolistic markets.
In fully competitive markets, producers are price takers, not price makers; and price equals marginal cost of production (e.g. commodities markets).
In monopolistic markets the producer is the price maker (wholesale diamonds)*; and the producer will set the price to maximize profits--which would be much lower than $5000 as shown in my post above.

Accordingly, depending on how competitive the market for the M3 is, the "market clearing" price for EAP should be somewhere between $0.00 and much lower than $5000.

*In the last decade, OPEC oil prices have gone from monopolistic to competitive.

You haven't shown that Tesla would maximize it's profits by lowering the price of EAP. You've just speculated that more people would buy it. Do you have any data on how many people buy it now? How many people opt not to buy it because of price? What price they would theoretically buy it at?

Reading from the negative experiences of AP20 that many shared on this forum, I won't be surprised if regulators force
Tesla to pull out steering assist.

I have not driven it myself but some of the comments are downright scary. I can't imagine this being driven by 100k drivers.

Save money, just get this new "EAP Halloween costume" and pretend your car is already full EAP Level 5!

Ford_VTTI_Research_03_HR.jpg

“Seat Suits” Help Ford Study Autonomous Vehicle, Human Communication - Motor Trend

Yeah, as far as I remembered Tesla said it was only for divided highways. But now I remember that not long ago they released a "silky smooth" version or something like that. Do you know if this person did the same test after the update?
Not sure. But here's the "silky smooth" update video:
Watch Tesla’s latest Autopilot 2.0 software handling on roads off highway
Seems to be a lot more solid than the previous ones. Don't get me wrong, I really love the idea of EAP and am definitely getting it on the M3. It looks like the newest upgrades have made some significant improvements.

Here's a radical thought....we're buying relatively high performance cars...let's just drive them ourselves rather than become passive lumps of bored and distracted protoplasm behind the wheel....let's not emulate the learned helplesness aboard Air France 447.
I hear what you're saying. I enjoy the experience of driving a vehicle as well and also love tecnology. However; in my opinion, the technology is heading in the right direction in terms of safety and reduced motor vehicle accidents.

Yes but do you have any other evidence? Maybe a letter signed by Elon Musk? But be prepared to prove that it is really signed by him.
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to get an idea on how many people do not plan on getting Enhanced Auto Pilot when they get their Model 3. I have been going back and forth on this. Sometimes I think I want to get it now and other times I think that I should just save my money. My wife and I do not do a lot of long drives and I know this is where many people who have autopilot is best served. Also, I was really wanting the pre-collision mitigation and from what I understand, this will come standard on the car.

Wanted to get your thoughts.

Thanks!

I will not be getting Enhanced Auto Pilot or Full Self-Driving Capability because I believe the actual CURRENT and FUTURE capabilities of the technologies are being oversold and somewhat misleading / vague.

I see nothing on the Tesla website or in the purchase contract representing a legally binding agreement with Tesla to deliver specific functionality for these technologies or a refund of my money. There are regulatory disclaimers / caveats for the technologies but it DOES NOT address any refund of monies paid if Tesla cannot deliver the technologies within a reasonable period.

These 'forward-looking technology' aspirations would be okay from a solely Marketing perspective BUT Tesla is selling something IT DOES NOT HAVE TODAY and may never be able to deliver.

A 2018 Mazda CX-5 appears to outperform current Tesla vehicles when it comes to basic Automatic Emergency Braking

You haven't shown that Tesla would maximize it's profits by lowering the price of EAP. You've just speculated that more people would buy it. Do you have any data on how many people buy it now? How many people opt not to buy it because of price? What price they would theoretically buy it at?

"The higher the percentage of the consumer's income that the product's price represents, the higher the elasticity tends to be, as people will pay more attention when purchasing the good because of its cost;[25][26] The income effect is substantial.[30] When the goods represent only a negligible portion of the budget the income effect will be insignificant and demand inelastic,[30]"

[Wikipedia--price elasticity of demand] In other words, the price elasticity of demand is higher on an $8000 add on for a mass-market (middle-class) product than it would be on an $8000 add on for a luxury (upper-class) product.

Presumably Tesla set the price of FSD at $8000 on the MS in order to maximize profits. Given a greater price elasticity of demand for the M3, the profit maximizing price for FSD would have to be lower.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and outdoors
"The higher the percentage of the consumer's income that the product's price represents, the higher the elasticity tends to be, as people will pay more attention when purchasing the good because of its cost;[25][26] The income effect is substantial.[30] When the goods represent only a negligible portion of the budget the income effect will be insignificant and demand inelastic,[30]"

[Wikipedia--price elasticity of demand] In other words, the price elasticity of demand is higher on an $8000 add on for a mass-market (middle-class) product than it would be on an $8000 add on for a luxury (upper-class) product.

Presumably Tesla set the price of FSD at $8000 on the MS in order to maximize profits. Given a greater price elasticity of demand for the M3, the profit maximizing price for FSD would have to be lower.

Consider what lowering the price of FSD for the Model 3 might do to Model S and X sales. If there is any segment of buyers looking to get into an FSD or FSD-potential car having a lower price point for the same FSD feature set could further cannibalize Model S/X sales, which Tesla is trying desperately to avoid.

I still stand by the idea that with the cars differentiation between FSD and not being software (since all come with the hardware), Tesla will be unlikely to change the price of it inter-vehicle. We'll likely see a price drop for FSD across the line when it happens. That way people can make their S/X/3 choice based on the car they want to drive, and not based on the price point of the autonomous driving features, since presumably all will have the same capabilities, safety, etc.

Reading from the negative experiences of AP20 that many shared on this forum, I won't be surprised if regulators force
Tesla to pull out steering assist.

I have not driven it myself but some of the comments are downright scary. I can't imagine this being driven by 100k drivers.

That'd be hilarious. I'm sure I'd love the process that would follow of lawsuits, buybacks, and needing to buy a different car…

I'm an adult, it's my decision to buy the car because of the feature, and to use the feature. If people don't like it, they shouldn't buy it.

Reactions: Pkmmte
Consider what lowering the price of FSD for the Model 3 might do to Model S and X sales. If there is any segment of buyers looking to get into an FSD or FSD-potential car having a lower price point for the same FSD feature set could further cannibalize Model S/X sales, which Tesla is trying desperately to avoid...

You hit the nail on the head there. But, unfortunately, it means that Tesla has abandoned its mission statement: "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible."

Now, it appears that Tesla's mission statement is to increase its stock price by having the highest profit margin of any automobile manufacturer. 8^(

• Disagree
Reactions: EinSV and Zythryn
You hit the nail on the head there. But, unfortunately, it means that Tesla has abandoned its mission statement: "to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport by bringing compelling mass market electric cars to market as soon as possible."(

Mission statements tend to go to the wayside often when having to deal with real world items without getting into weeds.

Demand elasticity makes me think of the chewing gum I drove over this afternoon. Just having an all or nothing Tesla is well, so Acura. Yes you get all the options, but a vanilla car. I am not sure we are ready for that yet.

Look they should be altruistic and bring cars to the free world for free with a big giant sustainable bow wrapped around it. Come on really that cannot be a valid thinking process to operate in the world of business competitors. It's a mastery of marketing. Whether the features ever come to 100% or not it sells cars or gets people to make reservations.

If they don't succeed.......Don't see that mission statement happening to soon there do ya? Which would lead others as little as their foot is on the same pedal to electric cars to pause or coast (maybe they have not heard of regen yet). Or kill the electric car again. Not worth the risk.

• Disagree
Reactions: Pkmmte and bmzl