Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone not getting Enhanced Autopilot (EAP)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just test drove a Autopilot Hardware 2 Model S today and while I do really like EAP, I can't justify the $5,000 cost at the moment. I'm already stretching to get the Long Range battery and Premium Upgrads Package. So, when I get EAP, it'll be sometime after I take delivery of the car.

I would imagine we'll see a price decrease for EAP as the Model 3 hits true mass production and becomes more important to Tesla in terms of sales. If you have a significant base of Model 3 cars out there that haven't enabled EAP within the next 24 months, I can see Tesla doing something to entice those users to enable it.

Reactions: bmzl
The theory that Tesla is free to price a particular feature at whatever price it wants to charge for that feature, and why not charge the same price for the same feature no matter which vehicle the feature is installed on? Of course the percentage of the total car cost that the feature represents will vary depending on the other factors that go into the price of the car, but if you want the feature this is what that feature is going to cost you.

Perhaps you should be discussing your economic pricing theories with Elon, maybe you can convince him to reduce the cost of the EAP feature for those of us who are buying the 3 rather than an S or X if you think he's got it all wrong?
What economic theory do you rely on for your "distorts the picture" allegation?

Buying EAP for sure. It's the option I look most forward to.
2 heads who resigned in 8 months + many scary posts in this forum about EAP.

I think you should consider lowering your expectations. At least I lowered mine considerably. I so want to be wrong though. That said I look forward to having TACC. But $5k for TACC is a lot of money.

I think you should consider lowering your expectations. At least I lowered mine considerably. I so want to be wrong though. That said I look forward to having TACC. But $5k for TACC is a lot of money.

Considering I'm used to paying $2500 in cars just for an upgrade including in-car navigation, $5k to be able to relax every day during my commute as the traffic goes from 70 to stopped, to 30, to stopped, back to 70, etc. numerous times... worth it.

Reactions: jtpassat
I would imagine we'll see a price decrease for EAP as the Model 3 hits true mass production and becomes more important to Tesla in terms of sales. If you have a significant base of Model 3 cars out there that haven't enabled EAP within the next 24 months, I can see Tesla doing something to entice those users to enable it.

Right now, it cost $1000 more to enable EAP after delivery. So, I would not count on a price decrease. I understand from your post that you are a tight budget but waiting, hoping that EAP will be cheaper later, is a mistake. EAP cost more not less if you wait until after delivery and we have no indication that Tesla plans to lower the price.

From everything I've heard, EAP is fine now. Don't listen to the naysayers. The $5000 gives you more than just TAAC, it also gives you Auto Steer that works well on the highway as well as auto park and summon. If you don't get EAP, you are going to hate yourself because it will get even better with updates and you will missing out on a great driver's aid but it will cost more to upgrade after delivery.

Considering I'm used to paying $2500 in cars just for an upgrade including in-car navigation, $5k to be able to relax every day during my commute as the traffic goes from 70 to stopped, to 30, to stopped, back to 70, etc. numerous times... worth it.

Until something unexpected/unusual happens in your path beyond the vehicle's algorithms, and it takes too long for you to regain situational awareness and react physically. This subject is part of our company's business and a recent conference revealed just how much those in the industry still are unsure about. For example, best research shows typical awareness/response/gain control times for driver of autonomous vehicle ranges from 20-25 seconds, far too slow to be meaningfully helpful. And, no one has data to show best method to alert general population of drivers that the car needs manual control...lights, buzzers, vibrations? No one knows yet. The entire topic of "handoff" from vehicle to driver remains a challenge. Meanwhile, other data shows most drivers want to read, do email, or sleep if not needed to actively drive. With texting behaviors already present in non-autonomous cars, where this is all headed scares the hell out of me because so much remains unresolved.

I'm looking forward to actually driving my Model 3. If I wanted to spend a lot of money to be chauffeured around I would just hire a driver for my current car.
Exactly. Anyone who buys the full self driving option in my opinion, might as well just take a taxi or limo to get to their destination.
Why spend all this money on the car if you're not driving it?
Also, a point a lot of people fail to understand is that FSD, regulatory speaking wise, is years away (in my opinion) before it will be legislated legal in many countries. By that time, the current fleet of Tesla cars will be at least 10 years old. by that time, most of you will have a new one anyway.

Exactly. Anyone who buys the full self driving option in my opinion, might as well just take a taxi or limo to get to their destination. Why spend all this money on the car if you're not driving it?

Just because we get FSD, does not mean that we will never drive the car ourselves. There will be plenty of times when I will still want to drive my Model 3. But there will also be times when maybe I am a bit tired or just don't feel like driving and FSD will come in really handy. Getting a FSD Model 3 means having all the advantages of a Tesla EV (quiet ride, fast acceleration etc) that you would not get from a taxi while also having the advantage of the car being able to drive itself in those instances when you don't feel like driving.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
Just when your reaction times in case of needed handoff will be even slower...

But if I am tired, driving myself where I have to do all the driving tasks would be even worse, no? And FSD will only be implemented when it is very reliable. So there should be extremely few instances where the system will make me take over again.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
But if I am tired, driving myself where I have to do all the driving tasks would be even worse, no? And FSD will only be implemented when it is very reliable. So there should be extremely few instances where the system will make me take over again.

Not necessarily. Sleep deprivation research shows high levels of alertness/performance can be maintained for short periods. Depends on the driving task. I wouldn't do a long trip but a short commute home might be ok. But if you are fading away even more due to perceived lack of need to be attentive, recovery times deteriorate even more. If the drive is uneventful, the autonomous function may do well, but the unexpected is always lurking out there.

20 to 25 seconds reaction time? Not a chance. I'd be dead. Flew the Airbus 310/20/21 for 12 years before retirement. Fully automated, fly by wire with full self landing and braking capability. I chose to use the automation when and if I wanted to. Less than 10 autolands, only when I had to due to near zero visibility. I can't tell you how many 100's of times I had to take control back immediately to make a correction or traffic a avoidance.
Integrated automation is JUST A TOOL. Use it when you want, turn it off when you don't. Very similar to EAP and down the road FSD. The problem is not the tool it's the person monitoring it. They are responsible for everything it does and over reliance on it is not your friend.

Until something unexpected/unusual happens in your path beyond the vehicle's algorithms, and it takes too long for you to regain situational awareness and react physically. This subject is part of our company's business and a recent conference revealed just how much those in the industry still are unsure about. For example, best research shows typical awareness/response/gain control times for driver of autonomous vehicle ranges from 20-25 seconds, far too slow to be meaningfully helpful. And, no one has data to show best method to alert general population of drivers that the car needs manual control...lights, buzzers, vibrations? No one knows yet. The entire topic of "handoff" from vehicle to driver remains a challenge. Meanwhile, other data shows most drivers want to read, do email, or sleep if not needed to actively drive. With texting behaviors already present in non-autonomous cars, where this is all headed scares the hell out of me because so much remains unresolved.

God forbid an adult makes a decision on where he draws his personal line for acceptable risk. In my case, EAP dramatically lowers the risk... of me killing complete strangers in a road rage incident.

When I had the Model S, commuting stopped being a source of stress even though I was paying the same amount of attention. I still saw things happening and took control preemptively, but the lifting of the burden of stop and go traffic does wonders for quality of life.

FSD is a long way off and I’m not going to speculate on it until it’s relevant.