Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Anyone refusing last software update - speed limit restriction?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm holding off on upgrading, but I have a question. Say Tesla fixes the undivided highway bug in 8.1 and I want to download it come January. Without rooting my car, is there a way to tell when 8.1 is downloaded if I still have the last 8.0 nagging me?

I stopped by the service center and asked if there was a way to reject the update and thus remove the daily nag message. I was told there was not and that they would not.
There are a couple of ways:
1) Tesla can do it (but they refuse because they can)
2) You can do it yourself, but it requires a fair amount of doing. My car auto dismisses the update nag every day within 10 seconds of it appearing. But it's not easy for everyone to do.

Reactions: davidc18
I'm holding off on upgrading, but I have a question. Say Tesla fixes the undivided highway bug in 8.1 and I want to download it come January. Without rooting my car, is there a way to tell when 8.1 is downloaded if I still have the last 8.0 nagging me?
Well you don't need root, but you do need network access. If you follow the steps in my gaining access thread to get factory/developer mode you'll have the ability to see the version number of any pending software update. I'm not aware of any other way.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18
Does anyone know if the new speed restriction effects TACC?

I can live with losing auto steering on an undecided highway, but not TACC.

My old car had adaptive cruise control and I would not have bought the Tesla if it didn't have it. Limiting you to the posted speed is he same as not having it. There are many places in California where driving he posted speed rude at best, and dangerous at worst.

I believe the law in question is slower traffic keep right. You can most certainly tell there are no Germans on this thread :)
I think the difference is in Germany you are allowed to go faster to pass. In the US, your passing speed is limited to the speed limit, which can take a very long time if the speed differential is small. Also, in Germany you are not allowed to pass on the right, meaning when you're passing a car you're not going to become "slower traffic" because the other driver wakes up and guns it. Germany has a consistent set of road rules, US just has a mix of laws designed to make sure you can get pulled over if needed (or revenue is needed).

Does anyone know if the new speed restriction effects TACC?

I can live with losing auto steering on an undecided highway, but not TACC.

My old car had adaptive cruise control and I would not have bought the Tesla if it didn't have it. Limiting you to the posted speed is he same as not having it. There are many places in California where driving he posted speed rude at best, and dangerous at worst.
It only restricts when auto steer is activated.

I feel the same way as you do -- reluctantly living with the restrictions only because I can still drive safely with TACC and the flow of traffic. I wish it would allow +5 MPH since my vehicle usually registers 1-2 mph below the posted limit.

Reactions: EVie'sDad
I tried setting the units from Metric to Imperial while in AP on a four lane road, and yes, I was able to get a few more km/hr above he posted speed limit. Not what I would like it to be, but it's better than nothing. Of course it would read in mph at this point, but same result.
I then switched back to the regular default Metric system and car drove at the posted 50 km/r on this street and cars were passing me and some weren't happy with me. So, Tesla, fix this before someone gets hurt!

Tesla Service called me today about the issue I had with AP slowing down from 75 to 50 and issuing a warning. They wanted to know things like: was it a major highway, how much traffic, weather conditions, cars by side of road, time of day, date, happened in both directions, construction, etc.

I appreciate their looking into it and am impressed that so many factors are being taken into account during AP. It also sounded like they include some type of Waze-like data for their data fusion.

Tesla Service called me today about the issue I had with AP slowing down from 75 to 50 and issuing a warning. They wanted to know things like: was it a major highway, how much traffic, weather conditions, cars by side of road, time of day, date, happened in both directions, construction, etc.

I appreciate their looking into it and am impressed that so many factors are being taken into account during AP. It also sounded like they include some type of Waze-like data for their data fusion.
How did you get their attention? I had the same experience a couple of days ago. Driving on a Major highway, light traffic, go by a car in the breakdown lane and the car suddenly appears to brake down to 50MPH. The car behind me had to swerve to avoid rearending me.
This is a SERIOUS bug.

How did you get their attention? I had the same experience a couple of days ago. Driving on a Major highway, light traffic, go by a car in the breakdown lane and the car suddenly appears to brake down to 50MPH. The car behind me had to swerve to avoid rearending me.
This is a SERIOUS bug.
I called the Tesla Service number and talked to them about it. They were a little dismissive, e.g. that I was driving by a stopped car, etc. A couple of days later they called me back.

I would have called my local Tesla Service Center but it has been closed by legal action brought by the Missouri Automotive Dealers Association.