Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP1 ONLY Please -- life after 2018.50.6

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think SuC speeds for all older MS have been affected by software updates. However, some have been nerfed more probably because of battery condition or usage. Every car is different, and only the mother ship knows the real story.

Below is a pic of the changes on my car.
IMG_20200205_181949884_HDR.jpg

@BrokerDon mine is very similar. Have about 50% DC 50%AC charging. Unhappy with the rates, but cannot change them. Tell us, what the SC told!

I will as soon as I hear back.

I also reported that my v1 Tesla Wall Connector has recently been "trickle charging" 1 to 2 amps at 240V for HOURS after my P85D reached its 90% charge. My (no longer sold) eMotorwerks WattBox 200 (digital submeter) clearly documented this below.

Has anyone else seen their Tesla Wall Connector "trickle charging" for HOURS after their preset % charge was reached?

This "trickle charging" will cost me a lot of $$$ since it trickle charges in the more expensive our electrical utility SCE's "On-Peak" times.

fullsizeoutput_154b.jpeg

Can you check whether or not cabin heating or battery preconditioning was active during those trickle periods?

Take this with a grain of salt, but Tesla service advisor told me that the car "tethers" to the grid when the car is plugged in and any car functions need to pull power. I can see this as an effort to minimize cycling of the battery, but the problem is that AGAIN Telsa refuses to document this *sugar* or be transparent about functions so we're just out here banging out heads trying to figure things out.

car "tethers" to the grid when the car is plugged in and any car functions need to pull power

Well known Tesla charging/power usage behavior, same as the past 8 years. The car draws energy from the grid when plugged in rather than running from the pack. I've owned three EV's, and Tesla gets this one right. On my Smart ED, it has weird behavior that doesn't run the AC or heat when plugged in, likely due to limitations in the coolant loop, but it caught me off guard a few times thinking that the car would draw energy from the grid to preheat the car before I drove to work on a -30C day, but it didn't and I ended getting into a freezing car. MUCH prefer Tesla's method.

I understand where you're coming from, but it's not what I'd prefer. Best practice would be making that behavior controllable. Best case would be overcharging target SOC by an amount calculated to compensate for projected usage of aux functions.

Well known is not well documented. Particularly in instances where you're seeing power draw from the grid outside of one's charging window and people at Tesla don't even know why it's happening.

OUCH

Here's the charge rate in my Tesla LOANER 75D with ~ 26,000 miles at the same:
  • % SoC
  • v3 Anaheim Supercharger (up to 250kW per car + no pairing)
  • ~ 68º ambient temperature
HUGE difference between my 2015 P85D's 71kW charge rate and this loaner Tesla 75D's 117kW charge rate.

My 2015 P85D with ~ 56,000 miles is at the Tesla Costa Mesa Service Center

IMG_1432.JPG

IMG_1434.JPG

Tesla's loaner MS 75D also does NOT keep pulling 1.0 to 2.0 Amps at 240V for HOURS after it reaches it's pre-set 90$ SoC like my 2015 P85D does. Here's the 75D's charge 48A / 240V session last night on our home v1 Tesla Wall Charger. Notice the charge completely stopped once it hit 90%... unlike our 2015 P85D:

fullsizeoutput_1560.jpeg

So, to Bruce's point, I updated my AP1 car yesterday from 2019.32.12.8 to 2020.40.1. Only 30 Min, three MCU reboots and one IC reboot.

My cars life now is changed as follows:

The camp mode and Text feature works, as well as voice commands for some functions. As others have noted, you just press the talk button once, and do not hold it.

Update notes came up immediately, no need to reboot. I did reboot both screens anyway afterwards.

No change to battery capacity per SMT, or Teslafi. 98.9% of nominal for this car.

When exiting camp mode, both IC and MCU went dark and rebooted. Not sure if this a one time thing.

Don't know about reduced regen, charge speeds, or AP1 changes until I drive the car today....

to follow up, after a short drive today:

Regen limited to 40 or so until bat temps got to about 63-65 deg, 3-5 deg higher than before the update

AP and TACC seemed the same on city streets with no lane lines

SuC speeds from 40-60 percent SoC a little slower, but within 2% of before. 57Kw at 50% SoC

Voice commands AWESOME. Open/fold mirrors, turn on off climate, camera, and BEST of all, open close menu. Very little need now to take eyes of the road except for sunroof, and I can set the scroll wheel for that.

@BrokerDon the rates the loaner has are amazing! My 85D is like yours, and the difference is huge. I really do not get why they tapered our cars:( I know people with over 300000miles on 85, and the battery was pretty good after, without any problems with high charging rates - until teh summer 2019 update:(

@BrokerDon the rates the loaner has are amazing! My 85D is like yours, and the difference is huge. I really do not get why they tapered our cars:( I know people with over 300000miles on 85, and the battery was pretty good after, without any problems with high charging rates - until teh summer 2019 update:(

They put that fix in the firmware after the spontaneous battery fire in China. They saw something in that car fire that they believed they needed to prevent in the future.

I had my eMMC chip upgraded to 32GB for $800. I am glad I went this route instead of waiting for this $2500 upgrade. The MCU is responsive again (including browser!) and I have no use for the infotainment stuff.

Sorry if this was discussed earlier but:

1. what year & model is your Tesla

2. where & how did you get your eMMC chip upgraded to 32GB for $800

I'd love to have my 2015 P85D's browser responsive again... hopefully without having to refequently do a double scroll wheel hold down RESET