Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do the AP cameras zoom in on those convex mirrors installed on blind driveways? Lots of info there that humans take for granted, like scale and distance represented in the reflection.

Web-PT-Cruiser-Driveway1.jpg

Then how do "fully autonomous" cars deal with these situations? It's plainly dangerous to blindly proceed in certain places.

Sometimes, I have to rely on hearing if there is no mirror. Does AP have a microphone to listen for cars coming around a bend?
This is a good question to aim at a well known twitter personality that seems to be head of the Tesla Company at the same time ;)

This is a good question to aim at a well known twitter personality that seems to be head of the Tesla Company at the same time ;)
But it would be inconceivable for this simple scenario to be missed by anyone doing this as a business.
They likely have a priority queue of "edge cases" to tackle after they get the basics mastered first.

I've always thought "fully autonomous" meant being able to replace a human driver in any (reasonable/expected) scenario. Otherwise, wouldn't it be "partially autonomous"? Nevertheless, Musk says level 5 will be here next year. I just don't get it. All this focus on legislation being the roadblock rather than the tech is absurd at this point.

Then how do "fully autonomous" cars deal with these situations? It's plainly dangerous to blindly proceed in certain places.

Sometimes, I have to rely on hearing if there is no mirror. Does AP have a microphone to listen for cars coming around a bend?
I'd expect a "1.0" autonomous car to proceed through blind intersections very slowly.

If you've ever followed one of the Waymo panda cars before with the reduced sensor suite, it slows down and stops all the time when it's unsure. I don't know who to name this rule after, but it goes something like "if you drive slowly and erratically enough, you will have a near zero chance of an accident"

I've always thought "fully autonomous" meant being able to replace a human driver in any (reasonable/expected) scenario. Otherwise, wouldn't it be "partially autonomous"? Nevertheless, Musk says level 5 will be here next year. I just don't get it. All this focus on legislation being the roadblock rather than the tech is absurd at this point.
My (somewhat brief) Tesla ownership cured me of my tendency to put too much value into Musk's words.I am now cured and can do critical thinking again! All for only a measly sum of $129.000 or so (sadly not covered by my health insurance).

• Love
Reactions: lunitiks
This is coming from someone who was against narrow camera being apart of EAP and being the "redundant forward looking cameras" that Elon talked about. He argued heavily against it. Now he acts like he's in the know. lol
What? I think you have me confused with someone else (again?) in calling me out. I searched through my comments and didn't find anywhere where I argued against the narrow camera being part of EAP.

In fact, I argued the 4 cameras referenced for EAP were the front facing triple cams and the rear (and I was corrected here):
FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

I only interaction between us about the triple cameras I can find was I argued against your argument that the triple cameras operate as "one camera" and simply were redundant (and no other purpose). Rather my argument was always that they served different functionality (my logic is consistent in my latest comment: the narrow cam is not simply redundant but rather provides more range).
So you are essentially driving with 3 cameras which is really only 1 camera because they are facing the same direction.
I do not agree that the 3 front cameras are the same as 1 camera just because they face the same direction. The field of views of those cameras will be completely different and the lenses have different characteristics in terms of glare (so it is unlikely all the cameras will be susceptible to glare at the same time). The same principle applies to front-side coverage (where the wide angle front may get glare at a certain angle), but the different position of the b-pillar cameras will not because it is from a different angle.

And even if I once argued against narrow cameras being part of EAP and I now know that it is, I don't see how that makes my comment less valid. It's called learning ;).

What? I think you have me confused with someone else (again?) in calling me out. I searched through my comments and didn't find anywhere where I argued against the narrow camera being part of EAP.

Nope i don't

In fact, I argued the 4 cameras referenced for EAP were the front facing triple cams and the rear (and I was corrected here):
FIRMWARE UPDATE! AP2 Local road driving...and holy crap

That just shows you have a record of being wrong and me on the other hand has a record of being right. :p

I only interaction between us about the triple cameras I can find was I argued against your argument that the triple cameras operate as "one camera" and simply were redundant (and no other purpose). Rather my argument was always that they served different functionality (my logic is consistent in my latest comment: the narrow cam is not simply redundant but rather provides more range).

I never said they operated as one camera or had no other purpose. I don't understand how you twist or misconstrue what i say.
I said.

The fisheye camera is not the redundant camera. Its for slow surface street maneuvering and traffic signs and light detection.

Notice i actually laid out the cameras actually have different functionalities, but that the main/narrow camera is the only camera which can go out and each other can replace their own functionality to a certain extent.

The main and narrow camera has almost the same FOV and their distance supplement each other.

Main camera distance = 150 m
Narrow camera distance = 250 m

Redundant means one camera can go out and the other can take its place.
The wide cam CANNOT take the place of the main or narrow camera.
Its distance is 60m. Which would be disastrous for traveling faster than 30 mph.
This is why the functionality of the wide camera is expressively listed.

"120 degree fisheye lens captures traffic lights, obstacles cutting into the path of travel and objects at close range. Particularly useful in urban, low speed maneuvering."

Keyword: CLOSE RANGE, URBAN, LOW SPEED

The main camera which is exactly what was in AP1 with identical FOV and distance.
Was used for high speed operation as you know ap1 was up to 90mph.

The narrow camera description is that its "Useful in high-speed operation."

In conclusion the two cams can't replace the function of the wide cam and neither can the wide cam replace the function of the two cams.

Last edited:
@verygreen What is under Augmented Vision?
Well, it displays a gray rectangle for me. According to the code it should be displaying a video feed of some sort.
Either I need to be driving it or the ape needs to be be as a development model or we need some (missing) support on the ape or a combination of it all.
Still needs some research at this point.

Hm, I guess this is not really directly related to cameras, and probably a bit of old news, since this app was present for a really long time, but I just found it and probably need to really play with it during the day.
I guess the clips would not really work on a non-debug build, but hopefully augmented reality will... right? right?

View attachment 226810
View attachment 226811 View attachment 226812 View attachment 226813

when are these from? is this only there for ap2?

Hm, I guess this is not really directly related to cameras, and probably a bit of old news, since this app was present for a really long time, but I just found it and probably need to really play with it during the day.
I guess the clips would not really work on a non-debug build, but hopefully augmented reality will... right? right?]
Are these what you were describing to me yesterday? From the dump file that could not be shared? What app is this that you reference? Thx

when are these from? is this only there for ap2?
The driver assist app is present on the AP1 cars too, but I only have old AP1 snapshot and I did not try running this yet to see how different is it. Certainly vide was done differently back then.

Are these what you were describing to me yesterday? From the dump file that could not be shared? What app is this that you reference? Thx
No, this is a control app on the cid itself that controls the autopilot behavior (to some degree).

I also discovered today that it's actually more than that, just needed to make it full screen.
And you can also enable instrument cluster autopilot status app which is also interesting, shows you a bunch of stuff.
And when autosteer disengages, it also prints you the reason.

ic1.jpg ic2.jpg

Could not easily get augmented feed from ape, so possibly another compile-time feature.
Also in 17.17.4 they took away internal screenshot feed, it seems. Or somehow put it behind some control I have not discovered yet.

selfpark.jpg signs.jpg Database.jpg
signals.jpg

Driving with this stuff gives you soem glimpse intto AP operations even in the current crippled nondevelopment state, let me try to upload my video.