Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

AP2 (HW2) to HW3 (no MCU2 upgrade)

AP2 Owners ONLY -- FSD only or MCU2?

• FSD Only

Votes: 21 55.3%
  • MCU2

Votes: 17 44.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've got a 2017.......
- Cones, stop signs and traffic lights are enabled with HW3.0 and don't require MCU2. Not sure if this is true.
Anyone have any info on the above I'd appreciate it.

I don't have much experience (today makes 2 weeks!!) with the car but they upgraded me to HW3 and I am a 2017 on MCU1 as well. I see stop signs and traffic lights but no cones or trash cans I think is the other. Not sure if this has to do with MCU1, but the Chick-Fil-A in town has a drive thru that has around 100 cones out directing traffic and not one of them has ever show up on the display although they make the proximity sensors go haywire LOL! they are highlighter green vs. orange so maybe that is throwing it off?

Last edited:
I've got a 2017 MS P100D with an HW2.0 to HW3.0 upgrade scheduled for Aug 7, 2020. I'm curious if the new HW3.0 with MCU 1 has any differences between MCU1 vs MCU 2. I'm trying to figure out if I should upgrade to MCU2 as well. My questions are -- can anyone answer the following:
- FM will be disabled, and you'll need TuneIn to do this with the MCU2 upgrade. Does this work as well as the regular FM tuner? I heard that they fixed this and you can still maintain FM tuner. Not sure what to believe.
- Games -- all the new games will be enabled
- NetFlix - with this configuration you will get NetFlix right?
- Slow start - the MCU2 should correct issues with the car going from park to drive. Right now it takes 30- 45 seconds.
- Cones, stop signs and traffic lights are enabled with HW3.0 and don't require MCU2. Not sure if this is true.

For what it's worth I'm in Calgary, AB, Canada. Not sure if that matters. Anyone have any info on the above I'd appreciate it.

You can try TuneIn today - it's already on MCU1... so see that for yourself.

Games and Netflix will be on the MCU2.

MCU2 will solve the slow start issue.

Cones do not display on MCU1. Stop signs and traffic lights DO. Both require FSD computer.

TuneIn is missing some AM/FM stations - and the stations they carry blackout live sports.

XM with All Access subscription gets national news and live professional/college sports, which aren't available on TuneIn.

For many Tesla owners, they're willing to lose the AM/FM/HD/XM radio in order to get the new features of the MCU2.

We're in the group of those owners who use the radio, and don't plan to do an MCU2 upgrade unless Tesla offers an option to also keep the radio.

My Model S 75 received the full self-driving hardware 3.0 yesterday, June 17, replacing the HW2.0 that came with the new vehicle in June 2017. I did not opt for the MCU2 upgrade. Other service requested and provided was "Use Ultraviolet Light To Mitigate Yellow Border On Touchscreen." When I picked up the vehicle later that same day I saw what appears to be a T20 screw in one of my cupholders. When I asked the service manager why he contacted the service tech who worked on the car and responded to me saying, "It was an extra screw from when he [the service technician] removed the old autopilot hardware out." Can anyone on the fourms corroborate the veracity of that explanation?
IMG_5587.JPG

AP2.0 upgraded last week to AP3. I did not choose to upgrade the MCU as I'm debating whether to keep the car at the end of the lease in about a year. A slight hiccup which required an update to be reapplied (2020.20.1). The GPS was hung and calibration didn't start until after the reapply. So far, it's working as well as can be expected. No notable changes otherwise.

Also, I'm trying to understand if there will be any difference in AutoPilot performance - anybody know of any differences?

Howdy everyone. Tesla Model S newby owner here. I purchased 2017 S CPO from the Tesla dealer last week and they just did a FSD HW3.0 upgrade on my car today. The dealer also offered MCU2.0 upgrade for slightly reduced price of $2250 pre-tax if I'm willing to keep my existing touch screen which I agreed on. Looking forward to trying out HW3 FSD for the first time.

This is not a good sign. This is a pretty cool feature that definitely is something I want.
It's totally expected. The MCU1 processor is underpowered compared to the MCU2 processor. That is the nature of a newer computer....they get better every six months....Something that was produced years earlier has less power. The MCU1 computer simply can't handle everything it is being asked to do during normal operations (which is why it runs so slow and lags so much compared to MCU2). To expect even newer features to be added to it (Netflix, YouTube, additional camera views, etc.) is incredibly unrealistic. We have already seen that Tesla is not putting all features on the MCU1 cars, and it is understandable. MCU1 AP2 (or AP3) cars are in the exact same boat as MCU1 AP1 cars....effectively reaching an end to significant new upgrades/features because the computer can't handle it.

My company currently replaces people/s laptops every 3 years, the software developers' computers are replaced every year. That does not mean the older computers don't work, but they have difficulty running the latest software and lag in performance for some processor-intensive functions.

I know many people here are unhappy at paying $2500 for an upgrade to MCU2. In my mind, that's just like buying a new laptop at work. Yes, it is unfortunate that I will lose AM/FM radio due to the digital tuner issue, but the fact is that MCU1 is now an old, underpowered computer for the current software load/features and I am willing to make that investment to upgrade my MCU. Some people in this forum seem to think that Tesla will eventually provide a free upgrade to MCU2 (either as part of FSD deployment or because their MCU1 fails under warranty and Tesla will not replace it with another MCU1). I think the odds of that happening are somewhere between nil and 0, hence my decision to pay for the upgrade now. I feel even happier with that decision (my upgrade is scheduled for next week) given the fact some people who upgraded to AP3 but left the MCU1 installed are reporting some issues that may (and that is a hypothetical) be related to the underpowered MCU1 computer.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Howdy everyone. Tesla Model S newby owner here. I purchased 2017 S CPO from the Tesla dealer last week and they just did a FSD HW3.0 upgrade on my car today. The dealer also offered MCU2.0 upgrade for slightly reduced price of $2250 pre-tax if I'm willing to keep my existing touch screen which I agreed on. Looking forward to trying out HW3 FSD for the first time.

What about the Instrument Cluster ? I believe if Tesla did MCU2 upgrade, they do MCU Computer, Touch screen and Instrument cluster. Not sure if the $250 difference is worth it

My Model S 75 received the full self-driving hardware 3.0 yesterday, June 17, replacing the HW2.0 that came with the new vehicle in June 2017. I did not opt for the MCU2 upgrade. Other service requested and provided was "Use Ultraviolet Light To Mitigate Yellow Border On Touchscreen." When I picked up the vehicle later that same day I saw what appears to be a T20 screw in one of my cupholders. When I asked the service manager why he contacted the service tech who worked on the car and responded to me saying, "It was an extra screw from when he [the service technician] removed the old autopilot hardware out." Can anyone on the fourms corroborate the veracity of that explanation?
View attachment 553207
Please disregard. The mystery of the leftover screw has been solved. It came from an access panel under the driver's side dashboard.

• Informative
Reactions: croman
@KGA Tour I don't think that is what is happening for you. The touch screen is just the display for the MCU. You are still being upgraded to MCU2....which uses the instrument cluster as a remote display vice a separate computer. Worth asking the question but I suspect what you are getting is:

- New IC display
- New MCU2 computer
- original MCU display

We know they have a shortage of MCU displays due to the yellow band issue and they probably figure they can save some by keeping you with your current MCU display and then have that display to replace someone else's....

Ok, for just HW3, this is what my service center ordered:

Concern: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit (Model S and Model X Group 1)
Correction: Full Self-Driving Computer Retrofit, Model S Autopilot 2.0
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
ASSY,AUTOPILOT.ECU,3.0, MSX-FUSED(1655000-70-I) 1.0
ASY,HARN,HW3,RETROFIT,MSMX(1507950-00-A) 1.0
Pay Type: Customer Pre-Pay 0.00

Yesterday I decided to also upgrade the MCU because the writing is on the wall. I feel my MCU1 is, at present, sufficient for anything but I do not want to keep missing out on features just because my MCU is old.

Interestingly they ordered a different kit to pair with the HW3 module already ordered and ready at the SvC.

Correction: Infotainment Upgrade From Tegra MCU and Autopilot 2.5 To
Intel MCU And Autopilot 3.0 (Model S)
Parts Replaced or Added
Part Quantity
NUT,HEX-FLNG,M5X.8,STL,ZNC,NYLOCK(1012845-00-
A)
MCU INTEL UPGRADE-TegraAP2.5-NA-NODISP
(9874561-00-B)

I won't miss AM/FM but I also wish Tesla would just support hardware longer than 2 years. I think there are minimal technical hurdles to getting this feature working correctly on MCU1 but I'm seeing the clear limits of Tesla's lack of support.

• Helpful
You think MCU2 will only be supported for 2 years? MCU2 came out in 2018.

I'm sure I'll get left behind again but switching to Intel seems significant like AP1 to Ap2. They seem to not care about mcu1 like they quickly abandoned AP1.

I've ridden AP2 through now and it's been a rough start but good recently. Ap3 is clearly also a stopgap until Ap4 and beyond.

What about the Instrument Cluster ? I believe if Tesla did MCU2 upgrade, they do MCU Computer, Touch screen and Instrument cluster. Not sure if the $250 difference is worth it

According to Tesla Rep : Hi, the $250 savings is reusing the original touchscreen. The Media Control Unit is still replaced, just the touchscreen will be transferred over. The Instrument Cluster is not replaced as part of the Infotainment Upgrade